7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Thoughts on a 2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX with 75,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kos3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thoughts on a 2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX with 75,000 miles

Hey everyone,

(It's actually a 2004, not 2005 )

This is my first post and I was hoping to get some feedback on a Honda I'm thinking about purchasing. It's from an individual, I haven't test driven it yet, but will on Monday. It looks to be in mint condition and looks brand new from the photos posted. It's an automatic, was hoping for a manual since they seem more fun and I wanted to make the switch. It's listed at $9,200 and that seems pretty high for a used car, but kbb says $8,100 for excellent condition.

I plan on taking it to a mechanic, which I'm not sure how this will work since it will be after 5pm. Any suggestions for chain shops I could take it to that may be open after 5?

I will be taking a loan out for this car since my 2001 VW Cabrio (aka thorn in my side) decided to die on me leaving me scrambling for a new vehicle. I was originally looking at a few 2006 Honda coupes from online dealerships, but the mileage and overall quality of those cars (online at least) are worst than the 2004. They even have the original window sticker and owner's manual.

Does it seem like a good deal, a used 2004 with 75,000 for 8-9k? Thoughts?

Last edited by Kos3; 09-15-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: EDIT: I meant 2004 in the title.
Old 09-15-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Thoughts on a 2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX with 75,000 miles

7,xxx would be a fair price....I paid $9k for my 2004 ex in 2010 with 65,000 miles on it, in perfect condition and it had leather...After 2 min of searching i found an 06 civic ex with 65k on it for 8.8k...there are better deals out there
Old 09-15-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Dont buy an 8th gen, theyre worse and are ugly as hell. Feels like a spaceship inside. I was this close to buying an 09 SI last March but thanks to good advice from guys here i backed out last minute.
Old 09-15-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Hahahaha^ damnit civic noobie.....
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

Kos3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll see if I can talk him down to at least $7,500 if I like the car. I am pretty much on my own with this buy and somewhat nervous about haggling as I've never had to do this before. I know to take it to a mechanic and some things to look for when looking it over (thanks to forums like this)

The more I look at the 8th gen, the more I agree that they look like spaceships hah. The 7th gen are sleek and simple and I like the lines. I see it as a challenge to keep an older car in pristine condition rather than trading it in for a new car simply because it's new, which is why I'm so stuck on finding an older Civic in excellent condition and keeping it that way.
Old 09-15-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Hahahaha^ damnit civic noobie.....
You like them, looks wise?

Originally Posted by Kos3
I'll see if I can talk him down to at least $7,500 if I like the car. I am pretty much on my own with this buy and somewhat nervous about haggling as I've never had to do this before. I know to take it to a mechanic and some things to look for when looking it over (thanks to forums like this)

The more I look at the 8th gen, the more I agree that they look like spaceships hah. The 7th gen are sleek and simple and I like the lines. I see it as a challenge to keep an older car in pristine condition rather than trading it in for a new car simply because it's new, which is why I'm so stuck on finding an older Civic in excellent condition and keeping it that way.
I actually believe that i see more 8th gens ttoday than i do 7th. Its not even funny how many 8th and 9th gens i see. And all these drivers try showing off thinking theyre driving a Mercedez. The interior on 8th gen is terrible and has much worse view from the rear window.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 09-15-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2012

I think the si's look sweet, but if i was gonna get a normal 8th gen i'd buy one with messed up bumpers for cheap and do a type r conversion. -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eftXxLtDH4 (minus the huge black wing)
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i agree thats to much for that year even with the low miles.i paid $3,000 dollars for my 2004 VP with 90,000 miles on it in good condition in 2008.as for the 8th gens there starting to grow on me.
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

go to every single page on that site and read it all... i learned so much when purchasing my first car.

i ended up getting an 04 civic coupe (VP) with 55k on it in '08. i paid WAY too much - so much that i'm embarrassed to divulge, but - around 10k. i paid so much for two reasons: i had absolutely no auto credit history; i had very little negotiating ability.

reading in your post that you're nervous about the negotiation, let me offer this advice... don't be afraid to be AGGRESSIVE. Don't be disrespectful or rude, and don't get physically aggressive but any weakness on your part will be exploited by someone who has better negotiation skills than you.

don't assume that the KBB is a good starting point. personally I would go with the private party value price for whatever condition the car ends up being in (don't go by photos). don't have your mind made up that this is the car for you before you even get there. don't let them lead the interaction, you are the buyer so you have ALL the control (if you find yourself following them ANYWHERE, ask yourself why you're doing so). this decision will affect the rest of your life. the private party value is a great negotiation tactic, as you can say that you can go to them, but be prepared for a dealer to tell you that you should take someone else's car. negotiate on the OUT THE DOOR PRICE, and nothing else or they'll screw you with taxes and fees and whatever else they want to call it...

make sure the tires are all matching and damn near brand new, ask for proof of all maintenance, scrutinize the car in broad daylight, be as dramatic as possible about all flaws and defects, and don't forget you can sign a bill of sale with contingencies (meaning you only buy the car if such and such happens).

wow... quite the tangent, but the short of it is:

if the car has a clean carfax and checks out with a mechanic, I would offer 6k and not spend a cent more than 7k. don't get a damn warranty... worthless...
Old 09-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

too much money for something that the auto trans could fail on at any time.
Old 09-16-2012
I am Epic

I think the si's look sweet, but if i was gonna get a normal 8th gen i'd buy one with messed up bumpers for cheap and do a type r conversion. -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eftXxLtDH4 (minus the huge black wing)
I thought 8th gen SI has the same body as the other models, LX, DX, EX.
Old 09-16-2012

Yeah it does but its got a different grill, rims, spoiler plus all the interior upgrades
Old 09-16-2012
I am Epic

Yeah it does but its got a different grill, rims, spoiler plus all the interior upgrades
Oh well they do nothing for me, theyre generic and every 8th gen driver I see here always try to show off thinking theyre driving a high end car. they always tell me "my 8th gen is better, your 7th gen is so old and outdated....its still using drum brakes, why, time to get a new car man"

This is what i would get. Everytime i see one on the road, i cant help but immediately get jealous. Nicest car ever IMO. Im still trying to make this happen in owning one.

Old 09-16-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that car looks like some kind of marine animal lol
Old 09-16-2012

Yeah i dont think they look so good either. The matte grey M3's are where its at
Old 09-16-2012
I am Epic

You honestly dont think it looks good?

BMWs are overrated, FRS is better nicer. I always see people driving BMWs thinking theyre worth a million bucks.
Old 09-16-2012
Premium Member

overrated? i dont think that would ever happen. this is what a car should look like. not flipper up there.

Old 09-16-2012

An m3 is one of the best cars you can buy for the money and everyone thats ever driven one will tell you that...better than an frs in every measurable spec...and the people in bmw's probably are worth a million bucks
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

Well since this thread is pretty much over...

My buddy has a BMW and said he would've gotten a Jetta if he had test driven one first... and while he makes good money, he's definitely not worth a million dollars. I'm not saying BMW's aren't nice cars, (IMO) they're not a good investment as a daily driver. I think the FRS looks amazing...

AND it's made by toyota so chances are it'll last longer than a BMW. If price weren't a factor, yeah, I'd take an M3 in a heartbeat. Mostly because when a sexy woman gets in one her panties will shoot off like they have rockets on them.

Let's face it, money is always a factor. and with the FRS at $25k and the M3 at $60k... i'll use that 35k to buy her a nice dinner, some jewelry... and still have enough left over for another car.
Old 09-17-2012

I dont dislike the frs as a car but theres plenty of cars you can get slightly used for 25k rather than buying an frs....http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
I really enjoyed driving this car^
Old 09-18-2012
Premium Member

if the frs was around 20k, then we could talk. but there is nothing that really warrants having such a high price for a scion/subaru with an average engine. the thing doesnt even make near 200whp, not even close. and yet there are plenty of other cars that do within that price range and look better too.
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

I dont dislike the frs as a car but theres plenty of cars you can get slightly used for 25k rather than buying an frs....http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Touche... I would take a G37 over the FR-S anyday, BUT...

Originally Posted by gearbox
if the frs was around 20k, then we could talk. but there is nothing that really warrants having such a high price for a scion/subaru with an average engine. the thing doesnt even make near 200whp, not even close. and yet there are plenty of other cars that do within that price range and look better too.
Those cars that do are a metric ton heavier... while the engine isn't enormous, it's been reviewed and track tested as an adrenaline fix compared to other more powerful cars. While style is a matter of opinion, I think it looks sexy, like a little LFA:

Old 09-18-2012

Oh yeah well if you love the FR-S so much why don't you just marry it?
Old 09-18-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

because we're still working on gays right now... but soon, we'll be able to marry out sister, then our animals, then hopfully our car!

i want me human rights damnit!
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Soon we can all be like this guy!

Old 09-18-2012

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
because we're still working on gays right now... but soon, we'll be able to marry out sister, then our animals, then hopfully our car!

i want me human rights damnit!
We can only hope....and to people watching that clip...if you watch the whole episode it gets much, much weirder.
Old 09-19-2012
I am Epic

I think Infinitis are one of the most overpriced brands and I see a ton around. I honestly dont understand what makes these cars so pricey? Not just the G35/37s but everything in their line. The G37 is a very common car here and the front end on them dont do it for me.

Originally Posted by gearbox
I think they set the price to work around the Gen coupe. From what i hear Gen coupe isnt selling all that hot and if they set the FRS price close to GC base model price, people would buy FRS no question. Ive looked into it, its 31k CDN including all taxes and fees for base model FRS.

Have to own one first and I dont even think Id qualify for a 31k car loan. The gen coupe i was about to buy last March, I was qualified for, was going to cost me just over 41k including all interest over next 5 years. Im glad i didnt buy, I used to be all up in arms about its looks but it doesnt do it for me anymore. Probably mainly cause my lust has moved onto the FRS. But Gen coupe styling i dont care for and the thing is huge!

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 09-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2012

Civicnoobie i dont think you'll ever be happy lol....you need to keep your civic until it ***** a brick and THEN think about getting something else haha... and ive always been very pleased with every recent model infiniti ive driven...they're great quality and have some of the best tech you'll find short of the new bmw and merc systems. Their backup systems are amazing-

Last edited by rjones7755; 09-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CoupedUp04
Soon we can all be like this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwoSt5gtOsM
What the funk!? He gave it a male persona
Old 09-19-2012

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
What the funk!? He gave it a male persona
hahaha i didnt catch that....he's in a homosexual relationship with his car....it doesnt get any weirder than that

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX with 75,000 miles