7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to diagnose warm A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
How to diagnose warm A/C?

I bought an '02 Civic EX a few months ago and the A/C has never been cold. Could anyone give me any advice on what sort of things I can check to try and diagnose why the A/C is not cold?

Really the only thing I've tried so far is turning the A/C on full blast and while driving 65+ on the highway, which is something I read on this forum, but it was still not cold.

Thanks for your advice

Last edited by CivicN3wb; 09-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

Kfarron1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to diagnose warm A/C?

I'd get yourself the professional 134a a/c guage set from harbor freight tools or a friend with one and check your high/low side pressures... See if theres freon in there, if there is and its not working, check all relays,fuses, etc... Could be a few things that are wrong, most likely its the a/c compressor in the end usually, what kinda miles are on the car...
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

well two thing that are fairly obvious but good places to start....

- is the a/c fan coming on when you turn the a/c on?

- is the compressor turning on/cycling when you turn the a/c on?
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kfarron1
I'd get yourself the professional 134a a/c guage set from harbor freight tools or a friend with one and check your high/low side pressures... See if theres freon in there, if there is and its not working, check all relays,fuses, etc... Could be a few things that are wrong, most likely its the a/c compressor in the end usually, what kinda miles are on the car...
I'll look into that, thanks.

Originally Posted by mikey1
- is the a/c fan coming on when you turn the a/c on?
Are you talking about the radiator fan? If so, it comes on often, but I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it comes on specifically when I turn the air on.

- is the compressor turning on/cycling when you turn the a/c on?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.. The compressor is hooked up to the crankshaft via a belt, so it always turns, right?
Old 09-01-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Make sure its not out of freon. My AC all of a sudden went warm one day last summer so I got it checked and it was fine but the freon was all gone so i had it recharged.

But when you recharge it you need to have your entire system cleaned and flushed through all the lines, from what I was told, THEN refill with new freon.

But the dumbass who did mine just refilled it, didnt bother flushing out the system so even though my AC is cold, its probably not as cold as it could be.
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CivicN3wb
I'll look into that, thanks.

Are you talking about the radiator fan? If so, it comes on often, but I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it comes on specifically when I turn the air on.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.. The compressor is hooked up to the crankshaft via a belt, so it always turns, right?
start the engine and open the hood with a/c turned off....now get somebody else to turn the a/c on while you watch the fan, it should come on as soon as the a/c is turned on....does it?

the compressor pulley is "free spinning" when the a/c is off, the compressor is not turning, it basically has a built in clutch....

again, start the engine with the a/c off and open the hood.....have somebody else turn the a/c on while you watch the compressor....use a bright flashlight so you can see the side of the pulley good.....when the a/c is turned on you should hear a "click" from the compressor and you should see the side of the pulley start to turn....does it?
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

start the engine and open the hood with a/c turned off....now get somebody else to turn the a/c on while you watch the fan, it should come on as soon as the a/c is turned on....does it?

the compressor pulley is "free spinning" when the a/c is off, the compressor is not turning, it basically has a built in clutch....

again, start the engine with the a/c off and open the hood.....have somebody else turn the a/c on while you watch the compressor....use a bright flashlight so you can see the side of the pulley good.....when the a/c is turned on you should hear a "click" from the compressor and you should see the side of the pulley start to turn....does it?
Thanks for your help.

I tried doing as you suggested (but by myself, since I don't have anyone who can help me at the moment) and the radiator fans did not come on when I pressed the AC button (the LED light on the button did come on when I pressed it). I tried looking at the compressor before and after, but I was unable to determine whether it was engaged or not. Also, I did not hear a "click" when I pressed the AC button, and the RPMs did not change at all.
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

I just read in a guide where to find the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay and after swapping the horn and A/C Compressor Clutch Relay the horn still works, so I guess the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay is not the problem.

EDIT: I found this guide and everything is OK up to step 12, I'm trying to find the ECM now

Last edited by CivicN3wb; 09-01-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CivicN3wb
Thanks for your help.

I tried doing as you suggested (but by myself, since I don't have anyone who can help me at the moment) and the radiator fans did not come on when I pressed the AC button (the LED light on the button did come on when I pressed it). I tried looking at the compressor before and after, but I was unable to determine whether it was engaged or not. Also, I did not hear a "click" when I pressed the AC button, and the RPMs did not change at all.
from what you are saying here i think your problem is most likely beyond the capabilities of most home mechanics, i think it would be best to take it to a shop that specializes in a/c work....hopefully it is just a leak somewhere and not your compressor itself
Old 09-02-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

You are obviously in above your abilities.
Take it to a shop before you cost yourself more money in mistakes.
Old 09-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

from what you are saying here i think your problem is most likely beyond the capabilities of most home mechanics, i think it would be best to take it to a shop that specializes in a/c work....hopefully it is just a leak somewhere and not your compressor itself
Originally Posted by Biscuit
You are obviously in above your abilities.
Take it to a shop before you cost yourself more money in mistakes.
Agreed.

It probably won't be the PCM. It is almost never the PCM. The PCM datalist can be checked and ruled out by a competent tech, in a matter of several minutes in most cases.
Old 09-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Agreed.

It probably won't be the PCM. It is almost never the PCM. The PCM datalist can be checked and ruled out by a competent tech, in a matter of several minutes in most cases.
OK, thanks for your advice everyone. I was hoping that it would be an easy repair I could make myself, but I guess I'll just break down and take it to a shop