7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant leaking over the oil pan at the driver side ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant leaking over the oil pan at the driver side ??

Hi guys, I was changing the engine oil today and I saw some coolant covering the oil pan at the driver side, I couldn't tell where exactly it was leaking from but one thing for sure it is leaking only when the car is on, it was too dark in there I didn't see what was the problem but I took couple of pictures attached, any idea what might be leaking in that area ? I am suspecting the water pump but could it be something else ? I will rent a cooling system pressure tester and watch under the car where the coolant is coming from just wondering if anybody have some suggestions ; from the top of the engine bay I don't see nothing so it must be leaking somewhere from the bottom or under something
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1388
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	83935  

Last edited by cja3455; 08-28-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: attaching a file
Old 08-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road
Re: Coolant leaking over the oil pan at the driver side ??

It's the water pump. Do the timing belt and tensioner as well.
Old 08-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scooty
It's the water pump. Do the timing belt and tensioner as well.
^^^^ this is correct
Old 08-29-2012
Registered!!

Thanks guys. I took it to the mechanic today and replaced the water pump; I had the timing belt and tensioner and water pump and the oil seals replaced around 10k miles ago so I didn't expect it to fail that fast; it turns out that mechanic put the cheapest pump he found in there; this time I had the mechanic get it from the dealership
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cja3455
Thanks guys. I took it to the mechanic today and replaced the water pump; I had the timing belt and tensioner and water pump and the oil seals replaced around 10k miles ago so I didn't expect it to fail that fast; it turns out that mechanic put the cheapest pump he found in there; this time I had the mechanic get it from the dealership
even the cheapest pump should not fail after 10K
Old 08-30-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Please dont tell me you took it to the same mechanic right after he ****ed you..?
Old 08-30-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it sure could, with the junk out there that passes for auto parts. a friend had a water pump replaced at some random shop and it started leaking just under a year later, out of warranty ofcourse.
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

No, that was a different mechanic.... The first one was not bad but don't know why he put that cheap pump in there, anyway he lost a customer... The first pump was made partially of plastic and it has been leaking for long time but the leak was very slow that I couldn't catch it until the pump broke; I think it started leaking after one month
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
it sure could, with the junk out there that passes for auto parts. a friend had a water pump replaced at some random shop and it started leaking just under a year later, out of warranty ofcourse.
maybe i should rephrase my reply....

any half decent brand name aftermarket pump should never fail after 10k....unless the pump is made by some company like quirtos automotive and produced in a country like boliva....

in any case, a failure after 10k in my opinion is most likely an installation error