7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch probelm

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikon123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch probelm

Hi. there.

I have a 2002 civic LX manual. A week ago I stepped on the clutch, the clutch will travel half the way before I met the ressistance. I felt that the clutch was 'loose'. This losing has become more and more prominent until yesterday that I felt that I met the ressistance until the 3 quarter the way when I step on the clutch peddle. Today, I started the car and tried to put the gear to reverse, I stepped the clutch and it was 'very lose' I almost felt no resistance until the end the clutch travel. Then when
I put the gear to the reverse I heard a very loud 'grinding' sound. I backed off. And I repeated another time, same thing.

My question is by trying two times without put the gear to the reverse and heard the 'grinding' noise twice, did I ruined my reverse gear?

What the problem with my clutch? How do I repair it? Could anyone get me a link? I want something with step by step instruction and with as many pics as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Old 08-11-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clutch probelm

It's either the clutch master cylinder or the clutch slave cylinder. My slave went bad in my 01. Get a Haynes manual, it tells you how to change both. If you pump the clutch the pressure should come back for a while. Grinding your gear once won't hurt, but don't keep doing it.
Old 08-11-2012
Registered!!

Hi GoINat:

Thanks for the advice. I have Haynes manual but I had the problem in locating the master and slave cylinders. Is there a link in this forum that deals with this kind of problem?

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 08-11-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

There is no link that I am aware of. Try googling and see if something comes up. Maybe google images. If you can't find anything then I may be able to take a pic tomorrow for you.
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would start first by bleeding the clutch to remove the air bubbles in the hydraulic system. The bleeding valve is located at the slave cylinder facing the radiator fan, if u look in that area you'll see a small valve, attach a thin hose to it then have somebody step on the clutch, open the valve then close and bring the clutch backward and keep adding fluid, repeat until there's no more bubbles in the system
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

Hi.

Thanks for everyone's help. After my bleeding the clutch system, now the clutch works fine.

Now I have two more questions. My 1st question is: where should I dump the brake fluid? There are only 2-3 oz brake fluide. My 2nd question is: I lost the rubber cap of slave cylinder outlet. Should I ignore the missing cap or put on another rubber cap?

Thanks again

Dan
Old 08-12-2012
Prelude Owner

Dump it with some old oil if you have any. You can also take it to an auto place to dispose of it. Yes that cap protects from dirt. You still have a problem if there was air in the line. Bleeding will help for a while but you will still need to replace one of the cylinder's. I bled mine for a week before I got a replacement part and time to change it.
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

Thanks.

I dumped the brake fluid to Autozone. I also bought the rubber cap and put it on the slave cylinder ouplet. I test drove my car. The clutch works fine.

Dan