7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

check engine reset

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012
2002 Civic LX-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PeterLazro is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine reset

Hi all,

Okay so i have a 2002 civic Lx 1.7L. My airbox will not open as the housing is cracked and 4 bolts are rusted to each of their nuts. They just keep spinning. I pulled out the airbox from the car and cut off the plastic part holding the nut down thinking i could just hold it with pliers and use a screwdriver from the top but everything is super rusted. I tried many lubs but nothing worked.

After trying for 2 hours to get the box open i gave up. After i resembled everything. i forgot to plug in the sensor that clicks into the side of the box and started the car. The check engine light came on. I went back and plugged the sensor back in but the check engine light wont go away. I double checked all the ductwork was tightly sealed and everything was bolted down. I took the car for a drive and it worked well. no problems accelerating or anything.

1)Do i just need to reset the light? how would i do this? Can i just disconnect the battery?
2) does anyone know where i can get a used airbox. I live in toronto, canada. I have tried Carcones but they didnt have anything that wasnt broken.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by PeterLazro; 06-07-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: new info
Old 06-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: check engine reset

HERE is the bulletin, with all the part numbers you need.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sa...ir_cleaner.pdf

You can find the prices on sites like this http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp (I don't know what you use in Canada eh?)

Ouch. A little over $100 from them.

Anyway.....
We have Autozone and several other parts stores that will read and clear codes.

OR

This is C&P from the Honda site:

Conditions for clearing the MIL
The MIL will be cleared if the malfunction does not recur during three consecutive trips in which the diagnostic runs.
The MIL, the DTC, and the freeze frame data can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear command or by disconnecting the
battery.

HTH
Old 06-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Our autozone here will read them, but will not clear them. If you disconnect the battery for a while yes it will, but it will only stay gone if the problem that caused it is too. Make sure you have you radio code if you still have the stocker first though....
Old 06-08-2012
2002 Civic LX-G

*update*

When i started the car this morning the check engine light was gone. Ezone you were right about it clearing itself. johndeerebones, my next option was to disconnect the battery. thanks

I also wanted to pick up a scanner/code reader.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

This one comes on sale for around 100 once in a while. Would this be a good universal one? I heard this one will tell you more specific details about the codes as in
"misfire in cylinder 3" compared to just a generic "cylinder misfire" .

thank for your help guys. I'm going to have to grab the airbox from a junkyard or something. I dont want to spend too much money on this car. Its tranny is flaring when changing gears from 1-2 and 2-3. got 200K KM on it.
Old 06-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't answer, I have factory HDS, along with a NGS for (now) older Fords, and anm older Mastertech.
I have only used a code reader a couple times, but it did what was needed at the time. I don't think I could stand to rely on the limited data for my daily jobs though.

I would be wondering if the code reader can read codes higher than plain generic (P0xxx vs. P1xxx and higher) and if it would have definitions for those too. At P1xxx and higher, some readers will only say something like "manufacturer controlled emissions code" or something equally useless.
You can google almost anything though, or get a sub to AlldataDIY.

Same for data.

The more you spend, the more you get. Usually.
Old 06-09-2012
2002 Civic LX-G

okay so i found someone selling a 1.7L 2005 airbox. would it fit my 2002 1.7L?

are all 2001-2005 1.7L airbox interchangeable? I am meeting with him within in 3 hours. a quick yes or no would be really helpful. thanks guys.
Old 06-09-2012

You should use the parts catalogs that are readily available on the internet to look up each specific car. If the part numbers match, that's a definite yes.
Even if the numbers don't match, it could still be a yea. The catalogs don't tell what the differences are nor if they will work.

On this, both halves of the breather for an 05 match the part numbers in that bulletin.

This isn't always a chatroom.
HTH