7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Sway Bar Links Change????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicGuy2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Sway Bar Links Change????

Hi, during an oild change, the mechanic told me that I need to change the following on my 2003 Civic with about 75,000 miles:

1) Rear Sway Bar Link Change

2) Lower Contral Arm Change

It totals about $1,000. My questions are:

1) How can I tell if they really need to be changed

2) What if I don't change them?
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

Lower Control Arm Change??????

Mechanic told me that my 2003 Civic with 75,000 miles need to have the lower control arm changed, and it will cost about $650. What are the signs that it need to be changed and what if I don't change it?
Old 05-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Lower Control Arm Change??????

$650 is totally unreasonable, $400 max would be appropriate.

The control arms themselves need to be changed if they are bent, the bushings need to be replaced if they are torn. The majority of the time when the bushings are torn the entire arm assembly is replaced, because it's less work than pressing the current bushings out and new ones in.
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

What happened if it's not changed?
Old 05-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You'll have an annoying clunk, there's a slight possibility that the control arm could break lose of the car but it's very unlikely.
Old 05-21-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Rear Sway Bar Links Change????

$1000 is ridiculous!!!!! The end links will usually start to make noise when they are going bad. They don't need to be replaced it will just tighten up the back end. Nothing bad will happen if you don't change them. You can do that yourself it is not difficult.
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

If you don't change your timing belt, your engine can be killed.

If you don't change your Rear Sway Bar Links and your Lower Control Arm, what can happen?
Old 05-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The answer to that question has already been given.
Old 05-21-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The rear sway bar links (absolutely nothing). I have an Lx so I don't even have a rear sway bar. You don't need it, it just helps with handling. The end links connect the sway bar to the trailing arm. Like MindBomber said before the control arm bushings could break but they will start to make noise before that happens. I have 150k on my 01 with original control arm bushings. Mine are worn but until they start making noise I am not worried about them.
Old 05-21-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

100 some for new arms, 3 bolts and the bother to break loose ball joints. endlinks?!? easy!
1k? yer kidding me?!? aligment afterwards.
Old 05-21-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

$1k is being bent over big time.

you can just buy energy suspension lower control arm bushings, have them installed and you are set. should cost you no more than $100ish