7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Funkiest gauge behavior ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Funkiest gauge behavior ever

Funny thing happened last night. Never seen anything like it. Wonder if anyone has seen the same behavior?

I made a number of short trips in my '05 ES1 last night. The car was parked for a couple of hours while I did some chores. Chores finished, I started the car and drove exactly 2.5 miles (country highways). On this leg, the low-gas idiot light came on. Car behaving normally.

The car sat for 30 or 40 minutes. I started it up to head to the gas station. It had become pretty dark out, so I hit the headlights. Low gas idiot light came on again, and I flipped out because the fuel gauge was all the way at the bottom. Didn't rise up one bit! Holy cow! How did I get so low on gas? The light JUST came on!

So I head down the road, focusing on the fuel gage wondering if I'll make it the 7 miles to the gas station. Then I notice the temp gauge is still bottomed out too... what the...? The car could not have cooled off completely. HEY! The speedo is still bottomed out (I'm going around 60 mph at that point). Heeeeyyy... the Tach is bottomed out too! ALL the gauges were just... dead.

Dash illumination was all good. Odometer worked as usual, as did the seat belt & fuel warning lights. Radio, HVAC, all other lights and electrics/electronics were fine.

I get to the gas station and fill up. When I started the car up again, all gauges worked properly. Like nothing ever happened.

WTF? has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

mvanbv00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Funkiest gauge behavior ever

It has happened to me a few times. I have had my car almost 5 years and it has happened maybe 5-6 times. I just turn the car off and back on and they work fine. Anyone else have the issue and what may be causing it?
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

do the gauge diagnostic test.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Gauge cluster self-diagnostic: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2908290 If it doesn't go into diagnostic mode the first time try it a couple more times. It took me 3-4 tries to get it to go into the self-diagnostic.

If you need a new cluster you can find a salvage one here: http://www.car-part.com/ Last one I got was about $100.
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Miguel Korzen is an unknown quantity at this point

Funky is right...

As I posted in my thread earlier today - 6/2, I have a very similar problem with the gauges of my 01 Civic LX.
I will try the DYS self diagnostic procedure recommended in the previous entry and check back.

Thanks