7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Civic Blower Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce.Ringler is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic Blower Motor Replacement

Hi there,

My 2005 Civic just turned 164,000 and no problems.

I started having a high pitched squeal with the blower motor. I see it behind the glove compartment.

Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the parts / steps to remove the blower motor and check the air path for leaves and dirt?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic Blower Motor Replacement

Open up the glovebox and remove the retaining clips on the sides that prevent it from opening all the way.
Open it all the way out and you will see the trap door that covers the cabin filters.
Remove the cabin filters. There is a pair of them stuffed in there.
See how much crap is sitting on top of them. See if a mouse chewed through one.

Blower fan is held in with 3 screws from underneath. Lay upside down under the dash and you will see them, use a flashlight if you have to.

Most debris makes buzzing or clicking noises.
Squeals usually come from the motor itself.
Good luck.
Old 05-03-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The blower in my 05 got chirpy, had to drill the cone to lube bushing...only lasted a short time before noise would return. Ordered a new blower motor.
Old 05-05-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can pop off the plastic fan blade with a screwdriver and use compressed air to blow all the metal shavings out (use common sense here). press the blade back on and it should work like new again. or you could get the tyc replacement motor and blade for $40 it got really good reviews on amazon and supposed to be quieter than stock. im still using oem after cleaning it couple yrs ago.
Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

forbes2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know the name of this fan? Mine is a 2004 Civic, is it the same?

Tried searching on Amazon, but wasn't sure which to order..

Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You want #7.
In this link: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=HEATER+BLOWER
It's pretty cheap, and it will be right and it will fit correctly and even work on the first try, no hacking cussing or modifying to get a cheapo part that "almost fits" to fit.....IF the fan is the problem. (They have issues with the power transistor too.)

Any combination of the words Heater, Blower, Fan, Motor, and probably several more names, are what you would be after. Knowing several different common names for every part helps a lot.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ezone, after the three bolts are removed, does that blower just pull straight down? Or is there a trick to getting it out?

Thanx again!
Old 12-09-2012

Originally Posted by Max91
Hey ezone, after the three bolts are removed, does that blower just pull straight down? Or is there a trick to getting it out?

Thanx again!
No pulling, it should fall right down as you take out the last screw.

HTH
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Ok, let me make sure I got the right ones.

There is a bolt in a bracket in front just to the left of the blower. A nut on a stud at the firewall on the lower left. Then a bolt in the chassis in the upper right. Correct?

Besides the electric connections, is there anything else to disconnect?
Old 12-09-2012

Originally Posted by Max91
Ok, let me make sure I got the right ones.

There is a bolt in a bracket in front just to the left of the blower. A nut on a stud at the firewall on the lower left. Then a bolt in the chassis in the upper right. Correct?

Besides the electric connections, is there anything else to disconnect?
What are YOU trying to take out? This description sounds like you are going to pull the entire blower housing out of the dash.

The motor drops out by itself.
3 screws. 1 wire connector.
5 minutes, tops.

Pic from above:

Blower motor is #7
3 screws #20
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

OOps.

Sorry ezone. My coffee hasn't settled in yet. Your referring to the fan, I need to remove the blower to access the evaporator to flush and replace the expansion valve.
Old 12-09-2012

Oh ok.

Yeah that's a bigger PITA. You will need a flashlight to find all the hardware.

Carry on.
Old 12-09-2012

Got instructions? You have to cut out the plastic brace at the bottom of the glovebox opening.
Pull relay block
pull the PCM
I count 5 bolts and one nut holding the blower housing up in my pic.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

What i am doing is an AC compressor and related parts repair. I have everything mounted and flushed up to the evaporator.

I have the glove box and mount removed. I'm stuck here.

I think what I may do is put it all back together and take it to my mechanic on Monday and let him do the evaporator part. That way all I have to do is put the line bolt back into the expansion valve at the firewall and do a charge procedure. I talked to him last week about it, he knows what I'm up to.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

ok, hang on let me get a pic of where I'm at.
Ok, here it is. Is cutting that plastic piece avoidable?

Last edited by Max91; 12-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2012

Nope. The blower housing will not come out from under the dash until you cut that cross section and remove the metal cross brace that it covers.

There may be a faint line on each side to cut on. If not, just chop along each edge of the large flat area. The glovebox will hide it once it is reinstalled.

You should see behind the plastic a bolt(s) on each side that holds the metal brace together.

Nothing new, Honda has done this for a long time.
Random similar pics found on a GIS:

Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Ok, I'll give it a go. I got one more snag. I'm sure I can figure this one out, but I do have a question about it.

The plug on the left is on the oem compressor (I'll cut it off and put on the new one). The one on right is on the replacement compressor. With a meter I can determine witch wire is the trigger. What I'd like to know is what the other two wires are for.

Old 12-09-2012

Don't cut it off, you may have the wrong compressor.

The 2 extra wires are for the thermal protector which should be mounted on the compressor. If that isn't in the circuit, the whole mess won't work.

Early cars have it wired different from later cars. 01 used the single wire. 02-05 uses 3 wires. Don't cut it. Get the right parts.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Don't cut it off, you may have the wrong compressor.

The 2 extra wires are for the thermal protector which should be mounted on the compressor. If that isn't in the circuit, the whole mess won't work.

Early cars have it wired different from later cars. 01 used the single wire. 02-05 uses 3 wires. Don't cut it. Get the right parts.
Agreed. That will give me today to get the blower out.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Ok i'm ready to pull the PCM. The battery is disconnected. Is it ok to unplug the PCM?
Old 12-09-2012

Battery unhooked: You won't hurt anything. Unplug it.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

I'm there dude! Next quest is the evaporator.

Old 12-09-2012

Remove the Z shaped bracket for the PCM?

Bunch of Phillips screws on that little cover and the evaporator slides right out.
Old 12-09-2012

Use PAG oil on all of the O ring seals.

When you reassemble, leave everything loose until you get the lines poked thru the firewall and bolted together. Once those are together, then you can finish installing the evap and its cover. It goes much smoother if you can jostle parts around.

I also have used a loooong stud to guide the flanges together thru the firewall. Still tricky.

You will probably need at least 2 people to do this.
Not kidding.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Thanx for the play by play help. I sure do appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Ok. Evap is out. Couple of questions.

The new valve does not have padding around it like the the oem. Is that necessary?

Also, I ran out of ac flush (went crazy on the lines). Would good ol' alcohol work for such a small part?
Old 12-09-2012

Yes I would, and probably.
New exp valve from Honda should come with new wrap. Can you peel off the old and reuse it? Use some household weatherstrip from Home Depot?

Alky can work (I don't see why not)......Are you flushing the evap core with it? I'd be using compressed air to move any debris out and evaporate the residual alcohol.

Last edited by ezone; 12-09-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Alky can work......Are you flushing the evap core with it? I'd be using compressed air to move any debris out and evaporate the residual alcohol.
Yes, I want to flush the core. I not taking any chances of crap being in the system.

As far as the padding, I got stuff here that will work.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Thanx ezone. I think I got it from here.

You are truly a valued component of this forum! (it would be better if you lived in DFW....LOL)

Last edited by Max91; 12-09-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2012

Tyvm