7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement keys and fobs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement keys and fobs?

I recently bought a 2002 Civic and unfortunately it only came with one key and no remote/fob. I asked the dealer how much they would charge for a new fob and they said the fob+programming would cost $90. I forgot to ask what they charged for new keys, but a local hardware store said they (the hardware store) charged $70 per key and that they thought the dealership charged about $110. I didn't know that the keys for the 7th gen Civics had chips in them (I've never had a car this new, lol..), so I was surprised to hear the cost of a new key

All that to get to my question: Is it possible to buy the uncut keys and unprogrammed fobs online (I've seen them both on Amazon and ebay at low prices), have the keys cut somewhere, and then somehow program the keys and fobs myself?

Thanks for your advice
Old 04-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacement keys and fobs?

Ummmm, yes, yes, no.

IF the car is equipped with remote locks-
--You can buy (the correct) fobs and program them yourself.
Example: EX was factory equipped, DX wasn't but could have had accessory remotes installed.

You can buy blanks, you can get them cut.....
You can't program a key though.
Some shops might, a dealer can.

Check with lock shops and big box stores (Walmart), see if they can cut a new key and clone it to match your original key (clone the immobilizer chip info into a fresh key).
You can't clone info into a factory blank.
ILCO had blanks for cloning. Read more about what the dealer had available here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...veen7tlq9VBypg

Aftermarket may be different or have more options available nowadays.

A few places have invested in the equipment to do this, so call and ask. (One local lock shop only has the equipment to do Big3 cars, but not "them furrrin' jobbies".)

If you can't find one that has the equipment to do this, you will need a dealer to program keys.

Dealers USED to have the ability to clone info to the "T-5" blanks, see above. (We don't do it anymore at our shop.)
Ask your dealer if can be cloned and used on your car.

Or.....

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Keys are listed under "combination switch"
Key blank, $32.xx each there.
Won't do you any good unless you can get it cut.
Most dealers will want $50-120 to program the keys.
Some might cut your blanks too.
Some may cut it free for good customers, but they will certainly charge to program them with the HDS scanner.

Fob info, fish through this for a minute http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/remot...m%2098-011.pdf
Find the part number for the fob you need, plug that into the website above for a price.

Not sure if the fobs come as a single or a pair. When I ordered a fob for my moms Accord, there was a pair in the box.

Scatterbrained, but HTH.
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

What exactly is the procedure to program our keys? I know with Toyota/Lexus it involves having two factory copies and the key you would like to clone and doing several steps involving the brake and accelerator. Are you saying that some sort of external electronic device is required or do you know?
Old 04-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iridehonda
What exactly is the procedure to program our keys? I know with Toyota/Lexus it involves having two factory copies and the key you would like to clone and doing several steps involving the brake and accelerator. Are you saying that some sort of external electronic device is required or do you know?
If cloning keys is not possible:

You have to have a factory scanner (PGM tester or HDS, whichever the car will accept), and immobilizer passwords to enable the programming to start.

or an equivalent capable aftermarket scanner

A car owner cannot do this. There are no provisions for self learning of new keys without a scantool.

There is an "immobilizer brake code" to allow the car to start without a programmed key, so it can be driven to a dealer to get keys programmed. (aggravating to have to use though) Some brand new PCMs may allow a few (5?) free starts without programming before locking up too.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 02-14-2021 at 10:27 AM.