7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with decision making...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crawlr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with decision making...

I have a 03 ex coupe with cross drilled and vented rotors. I'll be putting fog lights by the weekend. I will add Koni yellows as soon as my tax refund arrives. Im stuck on what to add next, intake, headers, grill and front lip, or 17" rims. All suggestions welcome.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Help with decision making...

first thing i would do is return those cross drilled rotors and get blank oem style ones then with the extra money buy hawk HPS brake pads.
Old 04-10-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Lowering it would be my next thing, then rims with super sticky tires. Then intake (I preferr cold air), then headers, exhaust.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
first thing i would do is return those cross drilled rotors and get blank oem style ones then with the extra money buy hawk HPS brake pads.
I can't return them already used them.
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cross drilled and slotted rotors are not ideal. <Just realized yours are vented not slotted, but im going to leave my post anyway.

Drilling them you actually remove surface area and causes a lot more heat in the rotors, as they warm up they actually brake worse than OEM blanks.

Slotted rotors are not for road use really, they are for racing. They are actually designed to shave a little bit of the brake pad with each pass. Drastically reducing the life of your brake pads.

That being said they do look cool.

I'd get some 17 inch rims and drop it 2" or so. Then I'd get a lip kit and black out the inside of the OEM headlights.

Following that I'd get a good exhaust like the Apexi WS1, coupled with a random tech catalytic converter and a megan or DC race header.

Assuming ALL maintenance is done, of course.

After that all the fun little stuff like rear disc conversion and such. Lightweight flywheel + stage 1 or 2 clutch. A short ram intake always sounds cool
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Lowering it would be my next thing, then rims with super sticky tires. Then intake (I preferr cold air), then headers, exhaust.
I I was considering lowering 1" on GC. Not too low since its a dd for the wife. I own a set of MOTEGI MR3 never used just need tires. I'm thinking of mounting Michelin x ice, really like the handing and control, what do you think?. I have a no name exhaust, came with the car. What brand cold intake do you recommend ?
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

cold air or short ram won't make any difference they both do nothing but sound cool.if anything get a the cheapest short ram on ebay and buy a AEM dryflow filter because it can be cleaned and easier to do so.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Cross drilled and slotted rotors are not ideal. <Just realized yours are vented not slotted, but im going to leave my post anyway.

Drilling them you actually remove surface area and causes a lot more heat in the rotors, as they warm up they actually brake worse than OEM blanks.

Slotted rotors are not for road use really, they are for racing. They are actually designed to shave a little bit of the brake pad with each pass. Drastically reducing the life of your brake pads.

That being said they do look cool.

I'd get some 17 inch rims and drop it 2" or so. Then I'd get a lip kit and black out the inside of the OEM headlights.

Following that I'd get a good exhaust like the Apexi WS1, coupled with a random tech catalytic converter and a megan or DC race header.

Assuming ALL maintenance is done, of course.

After that all the fun little stuff like rear disc conversion and such. Lightweight flywheel + stage 1 or 2 clutch. A short ram intake always sounds cool
Dualy noted. Thanks. Looks like I will make good use of the lifetime warranty ceramic break pads.

2" drop will probably be too low, like I mentioned earlier, wife drives it, don't want my transmission and bumper to end up in the middle of the road somewhere.

I replaced my smoked headlights for clear ones with black housing over the weekend. Added sylvania bulbs. Man their bright.

I like the idea of DC headers and do want to get rid of the no-name exhaust it came with. Sounds nice & deep but low enough to keep the unwanted attention away (5-0). What's better GReddy or Apexi?

Maintenance is due. Oil change, oil filter, spark-plugs, what did I miss?
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Tein s-tech or eibach sportlines will drop you enough to be noticeable but maintain driveability.. They both drop just shy of 1.5"

That said, I'd do that next.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

cold air or short ram won't make any difference they both do nothing but sound cool.if anything get a the cheapest short ram on ebay and buy a AEM dryflow filter because it can be cleaned and easier to do so.
Is there a difference between injen k&n or AEM filters?
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Tein s-tech or eibach sportlines will drop you enough to be noticeable but maintain driveability.. They both drop just shy of 1.5"

That said, I'd do that next.
Thanks man.
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

here's what it looks like dropped with those, if you want an idea of how low it make it. Tires are 215/45-17s
Name:  DSCN1236.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  145.7 KB
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

here's what it looks like dropped with those, if you want an idea of how low it make it. Tires are 215/45-17s
Ok ok i like it . Now, which are better quality? And what's your take on ground control lowering springs ?
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

AEM don't require oil and they give better air filtration and airflow they also have a built in velocity stack. AEM is carried buy pepboys and advanced auto so no need to dick around on the internet and wait for shipping.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

AEM don't require oil and they give better air filtration and airflow they also have a built in velocity stack. AEM is carried buy pepboys and advanced auto so no need to dick around on the internet and wait for shipping.
Awsome
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by crawlr21
Ok ok i like it . Now, which are better quality? And what's your take on ground control lowering springs ?
I probably should mention I had tein s-tech's installed in that pic. I am fairly partial to tein, though.. Dunno why.. Maybe it's because I like their Dampa-Chi mascot

I did "graduate" to tein coilovers shortly after that pic was taken. Also, with regards to the ground control coilovers, I haven't tried 'em out yet. Adjusting height on coilovers is a bit of a pain in the ***, though. For my coilovers, I have to measure, adjust, reinstall, lower, check, rinse and repeat until I get them even-ish.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

I probably should mention I had tein s-tech's installed in that pic. I am fairly partial to tein, though.. Dunno why.. Maybe it's because I like their Dampa-Chi mascot

I did "graduate" to tein coilovers shortly after that pic was taken. Also, with regards to the ground control coilovers, I haven't tried 'em out yet. Adjusting height on coilovers is a bit of a pain in the ***, though. For my coilovers, I have to measure, adjust, reinstall, lower, check, rinse and repeat until I get them even-ish.
With tein, does the ride get stiff, softer or no change? Bouncy ride?

Last edited by crawlr21; 04-10-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator
Administrator

From what I remember, it was barely stiffer than stock.. Still a very comfortable ride. Mind you, that was a good 6+ years ago when I had that setup.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

From what I remember, it was barely stiffer than stock.. Still a very comfortable ride. Mind you, that was a good 6+ years ago when I had that setup.
Nice.
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

What's the difference between s. Tech vs h.tech beside the price?