7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

subwoofer placement in cab?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point
subwoofer placement in cab?

So my floorboard of my trunk has been broken forever and i decided I'll do the DIY: Custom Trunk II within the next few weeks. I was going to custom make a box for a single 12 inch kenwood sub for the trunk, but I was thinking it'd take up a lot of room. So instead would somehow fitting a box on the floor in the rear be okay? I rarely have anyone sit in the back so I don't see it being a huge deal. Would a sub laying in a box on the floor in the back be too loud? Distort the music possibly? Cause too much plastic sh*t to rattle/vibrate in the cabin?

If on the floor won't work can they go under the rear seats? It looks like there might be enough room to stuff a sub under there. I have no clue what it looks like under those rear seats, so if a 12 can't fit I have some 10 inch subs as well if the size matters?

Kenwood sub: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KFC-W3009.html
the 10 inch subs are rockfordfosgate p2
and the head unit i'll have is a kenwood ddx418
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: subwoofer placement in cab?

No room under the rear seat, the gas tank is there. Best place for a sub is up against the back of the rear seats or where the spare tire goes.
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

rbeats is an unknown quantity at this point

My civ quite literally carries only me 360 out of 365 days in a year. I have a small corner shaped box that fits snugly in the passenger side footwell in my sedan. I see two problems. 1. sunlight 2. thiefbait. So I'm kind of tempted to pull my passenger seat out and put my sub box (regular shaped box fits 2 10" subs) in the spot where the passenger seat was, I can make the subs fire toward me... Ideas.
Old 04-08-2012
not new to this

coupedeill is an unknown quantity at this point

Decide what you want to run first then put em in the trunk bro. Your average 12" sub box w/ amp attached takes up like 2 cubic feet or less... damn,you collecting bodies in there or somethin
Old 04-08-2012

Originally Posted by lazlong
No room under the rear seat, the gas tank is there. Best place for a sub is up against the back of the rear seats or where the spare tire goes.
Thanks, I'll have to look into trying to make them sit farther towards the rear seats. If I can't get my idea to work out.

What do you think about having the sub in the cabin? Too much rattling or noise distortion? For space sake it's impossible to fit a 12 inch sub where I want to so I'm going to try to fit in the 10 inch rockford fosgate instead.

Another problem I thought of when trying to put a box in the cabin is how it'll fit. Obviously I'll have to make something to fit in the space, but does the shape of the box matter? What I'm thinking of wont really be in a box shape anymore. From what I researched it's only the volume of the box your are making that's important?

This is where I was thinking of putting the sub (#1). #2/3 are what I'd attach to the bottom of the box to create more volume.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17196994/201...2015.20.37.jpg

Finished, it'd look something like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17196994/sub%20box%20idea.png

Sorry for the crappy pictures.
Old 04-08-2012

Originally Posted by rbeats
My civ quite literally carries only me 360 out of 365 days in a year. I have a small corner shaped box that fits snugly in the passenger side footwell in my sedan. I see two problems. 1. sunlight 2. thiefbait. So I'm kind of tempted to pull my passenger seat out and put my sub box (regular shaped box fits 2 10" subs) in the spot where the passenger seat was, I can make the subs fire toward me... Ideas.
I think that subs sitting where your passenger seat is would look ugly and unclean imo, but what do i know.

Originally Posted by coupedeill
Your average 12" sub box w/ amp attached takes up like 2 cubic feet or less... damn,you collecting bodies in there or somethin
Well honestly I use the trunk much more than I do the rear seats and I'd like to give the trunk a nice clean look and full space to use. And a custom box was already needed so I figured why not try to get creative?
Old 04-08-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

I have a 3000W RMS JL audio 10" sub and it was in my trunk for the first few months but i coldnt get rid of all the rattle. I sound deadened most of my trunk with dynamat and unless you drive a hatchback, you wont Be able to get rid of all the rattle. So one day i just figured id experimeny and move the sub to the bacj seat right behind me. What do you know, the sub fits fit in the seat grooves perfectly and doesnt move at all so i tried it and surprisingly the bass was ever better than with the sub in the trunk.

Audio installers kept telling me not to do it cause it would sound like crap but it actually sounds better and stronger, plus no rattle at all even at loud volumes. I never have people in my back seat either and i use my trunk a Lot more so trunk space was more valuable.

I just have a black blanket so i cover my sub with it everytime. Get out of the car and plus my back windows have 5% tint.
Old 04-08-2012

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
I have a 3000W RMS JL audio 10" sub and it was in my trunk for the first few months but i coldnt get rid of all the rattle. I sound deadened most of my trunk with dynamat and unless you drive a hatchback, you wont Be able to get rid of all the rattle. So one day i just figured id experimeny and move the sub to the bacj seat right behind me. What do you know, the sub fits fit in the seat grooves perfectly and doesnt move at all so i tried it and surprisingly the bass was ever better than with the sub in the trunk.

Audio installers kept telling me not to do it cause it would sound like crap but it actually sounds better and stronger, plus no rattle at all even at loud volumes. I never have people in my back seat either and i use my trunk a Lot more so trunk space was more valuable.

I just have a black blanket so i cover my sub with it everytime. Get out of the car and plus my back windows have 5% tint.
Yeah, I figured if they were in the trunk there'd be plenty of rattle. Glad to know you have some powerful stuff in your cabin and it still sounds good too

Does the "floorbox" I made up seem plausible? I wanted to do it that way so the install looks cleaner.
Old 04-08-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by m3gach33zy
Yeah, I figured if they were in the trunk there'd be plenty of rattle. Glad to know you have some powerful stuff in your cabin and it still sounds good too

Does the "floorbox" I made up seem plausible? I wanted to do it that way so the install looks cleaner.
Your floorbox seems good.

Its funny cause when i open my trunk the under side of the truck door you see no metal, as its all black covered by sound deadeaned felt. It actually looks pretty good, took me 2hrs to do a year ago. It was a cheaper, much cheaper alternative to dynamat. It was like $10 plus the spray i used.

Trunk rattle was unbearable for me, cause its so embarassing, i know when i hear ther cars with it, and i can hear it from mile away i cant help but laugh. It was no fun having such a good sound system but rattles like a tin can, i would always turn the music down. I took my car to several prof. Car audio installers and they all said with these coupes, its gonna be impossible to get rid of all the rattle with any sub in the trunk just cause of the cars design.

I had some light interior rattle on my back speaker panel in the backseat when i moved it into the cabin but nothing some small pieces of dynamat couldnt fix.

It sounds even better right now, and normally subs sound better in the trunk due to the sound waves boucing off the back of the trunk and back into the cabin. But right now my bass just fires right into my seat haha.

Its a slimer line sealed box so thats how i was able to get it to fit perfectly snug in the seats grooves. Its actually pretty small amd looks good. I experimented and have it facing upwards so it fires to the roof. I had a ported box first but it sounded horrible and so much rattle. So one of the installers told me to try moving to a sealed box so i paid sold my ported box i paid $50 for, for $50 and paid $70 for a bassworx low profile sealed box and that alone cut dowm the rattle big time! Then i moved it into the cabin and all rattle practically gone. I was shocked.

If you can go with sealed, much tighter bass, much less rattle.

Before i got this sub box i was actually going to get an even slimmer box, found one that actually fit right behind the front seat perfectly but then id have to buy a slimline sub (which arent cheap) and i didnt feel like buying another sub amd then have to break it in again. Plus havng a sub right behind the seat wouldnt allow you to move your seat back at all, which would really suck.

I have JL audio W3 sub.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 04-08-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2012

Your floorbox seems good.

Its funny cause when i open my trunk the under side of the truck door you see no metal, as its all black covered by sound deadeaned felt. It actually looks pretty good, took me 2hrs to do a year ago. It was a cheaper, much cheaper alternative to dynamat. It was like $10 plus the spray i used.

Trunk rattle was unbearable for me, cause its so embarassing, i know when i hear ther cars with it, and i can hear it from mile away i cant help but laugh. It was no fun having such a good sound system but rattles like a tin can, i would always turn the music down. I took my car to several prof. Car audio installers and they all said with these coupes, its gonna be impossible to get rid of all the rattle with any sub in the trunk just cause of the cars design.

I had some light interior rattle on my back speaker panel in the backseat when i moved it into the cabin but nothing some small pieces of dynamat couldnt fix.

It sounds even better right now, and normally subs sound better in the trunk due to the sound waves boucing off the back of the trunk and back into the cabin. But right now my bass just fires right into my seat haha.

Its a slimer line sealed box so thats how i was able to get it to fit perfectly snug in the seats grooves. Its actually pretty small amd looks good. I experimented and have it facing upwards so it fires to the roof. I had a ported box first but it sounded horrible and so much rattle. So one of the installers told me to try moving to a sealed box so i paid sold my ported box i paid $50 for, for $50 and paid $70 for a bassworx low profile sealed box and that alone cut dowm the rattle big time! Then i moved it into the cabin and all rattle practically gone. I was shocked.

If you can go with sealed, much tighter bass, much less rattle.

Before i got this sub box i was actually going to get an even slimmer box, found one that actually fit right behind the front seat perfectly but then id have to buy a slimline sub (which arent cheap) and i didnt feel like buying another sub amd then have to break it in again. Plus havng a sub right behind the seat wouldnt allow you to move your seat back at all, which would really suck.

I have JL audio W3 sub.
Nice, your install sounds like it looks pretty clean, got any pictures?

I also have the same feelings towards other people who rattle around town, I don't wanna be that guy lol.

For the floor box I want to make, I also had an idea that instead of putting two attaching boxes on the left and right of the sub box, why not make it extend to cover the middle seat and turn it into a like permanent armrest for the back seat? Would the airflow be bad since the air would be pumping down, then up, and then back? Would the subs impact be lower since it'd be a large box?
Old 04-09-2012
I am Epic

Old 04-09-2012

I don't know why it took forever, but I finally found a few pics of what I'm looking to do.

http://tinyurl.com/7kbmpbq

But instead of going onto the seat maybe make a box that fits on the vertical wall so it's parallel to the wall that the back seats sit on and have that wood wall attach to the sub (would make it look a lot less bulky imo)

I basically want to fit a sub between the arm rest and the back seat of the civic so its as low profile as I can make it.
Old 04-09-2012

Nice. If I can't get a box to work out for me I'll probably go this route. Forgot to ask, but what kind of speakers and head unit do you use?
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Cool idea but, I don't think you have the room between the armrest and rear seat. I just measured mine (coupe) and it's 9.5 inches. If you take off the cupholder and rear assembly of the center console you might get 11 inches. Not to mention it would have to be 6 inches max across if you ever wanted to put somebody back there. Otherwise, fill the whole space with the box and paint it black or carpet it and nobody will ever see it. I still think your best bet is the false floor. That would look cool and will probably be so low profile no thief would ever see it.
Old 04-09-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ The reason that works is it looks like a quad cab truck so he probably doesn't have a trunk... I don't understand why you want your trunk to have a "clean" look by cluttering up your interior... If anything get a custom made sub box that takes up little room and if you really want to keep the sub safe just get a bandpass box... I think that's what it's called anyway.
Old 04-09-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by m3gach33zy
Nice. If I can't get a box to work out for me I'll probably go this route. Forgot to ask, but what kind of speakers and head unit do you use?
Pioneer deck, JL audio component speakers for front and normal 2 way for back.

If i could redo it, i would have just gotten speakers for the fronts and scrapped the rears entirely. Friend suggested this, and just load the front speakers cause i have no one ever in my backseat. Back speakers plus install were expensive cause you have to rip the entire back apart. And i stil like a double din for the sake of bigger screen and easier to see but theyre so pricey for a pioneer or alpine that is, and itll attract thieves. I didnt want to spend more than $200 for a deck and thats what i spent on mine. Its a really deck, with amazing customization options but small screen. Thats why i upgraded from basic barebones JVC to this one for the sound optins and was well worth it, night and day improvement.

My sub box is only about 18lbs with the sub. My suggestion, if you want a sub in the back dont bother with dual subs. Dont really need two subs for a car our size and it doubles the weight. 80-90lbs for two 10" subs including the box is too much and itll weigh down the car. Thats why i shopped for awhile and settled for this box.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 04-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2012

Originally Posted by lazlong
Cool idea but, I don't think you have the room between the armrest and rear seat. I just measured mine (coupe) and it's 9.5 inches. If you take off the cupholder and rear assembly of the center console you might get 11 inches. Not to mention it would have to be 6 inches max across if you ever wanted to put somebody back there. Otherwise, fill the whole space with the box and paint it black or carpet it and nobody will ever see it. I still think your best bet is the false floor. That would look cool and will probably be so low profile no thief would ever see it.
I also took a few measurements and it does seem like it might not fit. I also have a coupe (2005) and what I noticed on the armrest was that the backside can come off freeing up a few inches. From there I was thinking that all I need to do is custom fit some wood tall enough to fit the sub and then raise it a little higher than the armrest and if i needed to have more box space I wanted to put the "expansion" piece against the kickboard of the rear seats (cause then if i had to people could sit in the back). Doing the whole back floor is an option like you said, but I wanted to try to keep the back seats functional as well while looking sexy if its possible haha. Thanks for the ideas though I'll keep thinking about it while I wait to do this project.

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
^ The reason that works is it looks like a quad cab truck so he probably doesn't have a trunk... I don't understand why you want your trunk to have a "clean" look by cluttering up your interior... If anything get a custom made sub box that takes up little room and if you really want to keep the sub safe just get a bandpass box... I think that's what it's called anyway.
True, the place that I found boxes like I'm thinking were only for trucks, which made me think why not for a civic? Instead of putting the sub inbetween the armrest and backseat I can make a box that takes up the whole middle seat and the leg room too, just have to keep it looking clean... not sure if it would though. I haven't really seen a box like this in a civic.

I'm hoping that it won't look cluttered, but naturally awesome instead.

Pioneer deck, JL audio component speakers for front and normal 2 way for back.

If i could redo it, i would have just gotten speakers for the fronts and scrapped the rears entirely. Friend suggested this, and just load the front speakers cause i have no one ever in my backseat. Back speakers plus install were expensive cause you have to rip the entire back apart. And i stil like a double din for the sake of bigger screen and easier to see but theyre so pricey for a pioneer or alpine that is, and itll attract thieves. I didnt want to spend more than $200 for a deck and thats what i spent on mine. Its a really deck, with amazing customization options but small screen. Thats why i upgraded from basic barebones JVC to this one for the sound optins and was well worth it, night and day improvement.

Thanks for the pics and info! What I researched on here for the rear speakers makes sense that they are kinda useless... but idk if I could live knowing

My sub box is only about 18lbs with the sub. My suggestion, if you want a sub in the back dont bother with dual subs. Dont really need two subs for a car our size and it doubles the weight. 80-90lbs for two 10" subs including the box is too much and itll weigh down the car. Thats why i shopped for awhile and settled for this box.
Thanks for the pics and info! What I researched on here for the rear speakers makes sense that they are kinda useless... but idk if I could drive knowing I only have 2 speakers.

I was only going to do a single 12 or single 10. I think if I do it right I can fit the 10 right inbetween the arm rest and the back seat. If not i'll try to do the 12 on top of the middle seat and make something awesome.
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't like this. Your basically telling everyone that you have hundreds of dollars of stereo equipment in the car and inviting them to take it. And to smash your window.
Old 04-10-2012

I really don't like this. Your basically telling everyone that you have hundreds of dollars of stereo equipment in the car and inviting them to take it. And to smash your window.
I think that a dvd head unit would attract someone more than a sub sitting in the back, but I don't know what goes on through a thieves mind lol
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Maybe. A lot of thieves know that a dvd unit is hard to pull out of a car and it could become time consuming... That sub sitting there is a smash, grab n run.
Old 04-11-2012

Maybe. A lot of thieves know that a dvd unit is hard to pull out of a car and it could become time consuming... That sub sitting there is a smash, grab n run.
True. Hopefully the way I'm thinking I'll get my box bolted down somehow so it'll be thief proof.
Old 04-13-2012

Question: is it okay to drill into the vertical piece under the back seat?
Old 04-13-2012
I am Epic

Well if all my windows werent tinted dark i wouldnt do it. But i throw a large black blanket over the sub each time. Its a nousense ya, but this is what i gotta do to have no rattle in the car.