7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this 2002 Civic a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this 2002 Civic a good deal?

I'm starting a new thread for this because the information is rather different than what I had in the last thread. I thought the new/different information merited a new thread, and I need advice based on the new (not the old) information.

I mentioned in my last thread that I'm looking for a used car and found a 2002 5-speed Honda Civic EX for sale.

The car has 135k miles, potentially needs shocks and brakes (possible just one shock), the A/C is not cold, and the drivers side rear window does not roll down. It has a new alternator and good tires. The timing belt has never been changed, so that needs to be done immediately.

There are a couple cosmetic problems with the car. Firstly, a tree branch fell on it and put a somewhat large dent in the right back fender (picture below), but I assume that didn't cause any mechanical damage to the car (just cosmetic). The branch scratched the fender a bit and so they put new paint on part of it and it doesn't quite match. But again, I'm more concerned about it running well then having a car that is cosmetically perfect.

One more negative is that the owner told me that a deer hit the right passenger door and made a large dent, but that it was completely fixed (or replaced, he didn't remember) by the insurance company. Oddly this didn't show up on the carfax report that I got. He said that there was no structural damage. I asked if the doors were misaligned after the accident or if it caused road noise and he said no.

He said the transmission and clutch are in great condition and that the gears do not grind. It shifts smoothly.

Supposedly it gets above 35 mpg mixed. The carfax is totally clean and the car has had two owners.

Here are pictures:

Name:  24792114782316712002IM1MAIN565x421_A562x421.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  24792114783316712002IM102565x421_A562x421.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  2012-04-06162122.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  2012-04-06162025.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  120.1 KB

The Kelly Blue Book value is $4,800, and he is asking $3,300 (firm). What do you think? I'm kind of desperate, so take that into account

I told him on the phone tonight that I'd drive down and see it tomorrow morning (and get there in the afternoon -- it's about 7 hours away), so I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this tonight.

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Is this 2002 Civic a good deal?

Meh, not worth the drive.

Between the timing belt, shocks, brakes, coolant flush and change, you'll be topping out at over $1k in work. That much maintenance needed, combined with the mileage, you should be able to find a better deal.
Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

Do you think it's necessarily a bad deal, though?

Anybody else have an opinion? I'm going to see this tomorrow, so I really appreciate any advice anyone can give me!
Old 04-06-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It looks like a pretty good deal. It does need a lot of stuff but he is asking 1500 under kbb. The car in fair condition is worth more then 3300. I personally enjoy AC in the summer and I wouldn't want to deal with that but if you don't mind then go for it. There are a lot of Civic's out there, there has to be one closer that is in better shape? Also if you can do some of the work yourself (brakes, shocks, AC) then you will save money. The door is a concern about leaking and closing correctly and I don't think I would drive 7 hours on a strangers word!
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

For better or worse, I bought it!

I have to admit, I was having second thoughts all the way up (it took about 8 hours to get there), but once I saw it in person I could tell it was in pretty good condition. No problems on the drive home!

As far as I can tell, it has the following issues:
  • Cosmetic damage (which doesn't look as bad as in the picture, IMO)
  • Right front shock or strut (or both? I kinda don't know what the difference is ) definitely needs replacing. I did the "bounce test," where you push down on the corners and see if the car bounces up and down, and it did for that one corner. Also, there seemed to be a kind of rattling noise from that corner sometimes.
  • Rear left window doesn't roll down (but who needs that window anyway?)
  • Timing belt & water pump haven't been changed (first thing I do when I get home. I just have to learn how!)
  • The drivers door lock seems to get stuck half way down when I lock the doors. Not sure if there's something making it get stuck, or if the motor that moves it up and down is going bad. (definitely something I need to fix soon)
  • One of the speakers makes a crackling noise when the volume isn't really low. (wiring or speaker problem?)
  • The A/C doesn't get cold (I guess I need to diagnose this somehow..)
  • The clutch pedal makes a creaking noise when I use it for some reason
So hopefully I can that stuff fixed and have a reliable car for once

One great thing is that when I filled up the gas tank about an hour from home I calculated the gas mileage and I got 42.7 MPG!
Old 04-09-2012
lady outlaw

montecarlogrrl is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on the new ride & good luck with it.