7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Muffler vs catback.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PunX is an unknown quantity at this point
Muffler vs catback.

I recently put a Tuned performance exhaust on my car, basically a fart can. It's relatively quiet and has a deep tone, not overly raspy. I'm looking to get something a bit bigger and I love the sound of Magnaflow exhausts but I'm not sure of the differences between a universal muffler and a catback exhaust. Could anyone help me out with any specific and not too expensive brands and what not and the difference between muffler vs catback? Thanks.

Current muffler
Old 04-05-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: Muffler vs catback.

The difference is very clear once you understand the parts of your exhaust system and how exhaust parts are named accordingly.

For starters, a muffler is the rear-most component, normally used for dampening sound waves to quiet the vehicle. Performance exhaust mufflers allow for better flow and have less resistance, thus making them louder. Some mufflers have special baffle designs in them to create a unique sound. Most Magnaflow mufflers I've seen are failry complex inside. Custom mufflers are only at the end of your exhaust system and they are welded on to stock piping.

Next, you have Axleback systems. This takes it a step further. This usually includes a custom muffler pre-attached to a rear pipe section that starts around your rear axel. (sometimes people refer to a full exhaust system as axlebacks because it starts over the front axle, but I prefer to call those headbacks, or straight pipes.) These kits sometimes replace your resonator, which is a small muffler like chamber designed to eliminate raspy sounds. These kits are usually welded onto stock piping too unless your muffler pipe unbolts from your stock mid-pipe.

Catbacks are my personal favorite! Why are they called "Cat" backs? Because it bolts onto your cars catalytic converter, a device that is meant to reduce hazardous emissions from your exhaust. The cat is located almost under the driver's seat on most cars, on some it is integrated into the header. A catback exhaust system usually comes in 3 pieces (for ease of shipping), a mid-pipe, resonator pipe, and axleback muffler pipe. Catbacks allow for greater exhaust flow and help your engine breathe well, giving it a very deep and grumbly sound... which is healthy! These kits are my favorite because they sound great and are super easy to install becasue it bolts right onto your catalytic converter!

Furthermore, you could do a full exhaust system. You can replace the cat with a high-flow cat or eliminate it all together (straight pipe setup). With teh addition of a header and downpipe, a full exhaust system will be a great benefit to your engine. Though, for a low output & naturally aspirated engine, it's best to keep your pipe diameter at or below 2.5". Any bigger and your engine may not have the proper back pressure. Larger diameter exhausts are mostly beneficial on cars fitted with turbos.

Overall, go for a catback. There are plenty of aftermarket brands for our gen. of Civics. Search youtube to find different ones and compare their sounds. Name brand catbacks will generally be $400-$800, but you could do like I did and buy an Ebay market one for around $100 (Spec-D Brand), which is still decent quality and good sound. It's quiet when you drive smoothly! I like how mine sounds better than the pricey sets!

I'd stay away from Magnaflows and DC Sports, they sound overly raspy and high-pitched. Go for Apexi, Yonaka, or HKS if you're willing to pay the price.

So uhh.... good luck and have fun with it. Loud is good

Here is a video of my budget catback exhaust: Click here!!!
It actually sounds a lot better than this after I installed a short ram air intake. The video is crappy quality...

Last edited by krudmuphin; 04-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2012
Registered!!

03civict is an unknown quantity at this point

@Krudmuphin, your exhaust does sound pretty good for the cheaper price. I just wish I could have the sound and performance without the ricy looking chimney pipe hanging off the back of my little civic.

@Punx I noticed the nice looking licence plate you got there, where abouts in NS you from ?
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

PunX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 03civict
@Krudmuphin, your exhaust does sound pretty good for the cheaper price. I just wish I could have the sound and performance without the ricy looking chimney pipe hanging off the back of my little civic.

@Punx I noticed the nice looking licence plate you got there, where abouts in NS you from ?
Halifax, man. You?
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

03civict is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PunX
Halifax, man. You?
Yarmouth