7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Weird question... Dashboard swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Weird question... Dashboard swap?

Okay...
So as you can see, I was blessed with the pukey "Ivory" interior on my '05. I don't mind the tan, in fact it's kinda luxurious looking but the brown dashboard seems out of place! It's like I'm riding in a S'more!

Before I ask my little question, I want to make it clear that I don't want to spend upwards of $500 for a full black interior swap, nor do I have the time or know-how to handle a project that immense.

My question is... what if I just swapped the dash and upper door panels with black? It would certainly look better than brown, but still not perfect. Is it very difficult to replace a dash like this? Is it also possible that I could paint my existing one and not have to scrap another junker civic for it?

I've searched many forums for Civic interior swaps and found little helpful information, so if someone can point me in the right direction and give me an idea of what I'm getting my hands dirty with... it's much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird question... Dashboard swap?

It's a little more complicated than you think. The dash is essentially two large pieces. The front panel that wraps around the steering wheel. The upper panel that wraps around the passenger air bag. It's a pretty big job to remove them both.

Here is an idea of how the pieces are split up:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...STRUMENT+PANEL

To replace the front panel is pretty easy. The back panel (which is the upper part) is the actual dashboard itself and looks like the steering wheel has to come off.
Old 03-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's possible to paint interior plastics, but the strange sort of soft plastics Honda used on our dashboards do not respond well to paint. Your best bet is to swap to another another colour dash, it's a fair bit of work, but manageable if you go slow.
Old 03-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't actually paint interior dash. You dye them with special spray paint. I learned the hard way when I was 17 not to use the wrong paint. If done properly, a dyed dash can look the same as OEM. However it's time consuming and you shouldn't do it with it inside the car. So you should still remove the dash.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1216& transactionid=1333075224-1732385193&posted_by=BlueEM2_www.civicforums.com&y outube_video_id=2mMYl2sW0Zw[/autostream]
Old 03-29-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Fair enough.
At this point it seems easier just to buy a Jaguar XFR
Old 03-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Hahahaha... It would take more hours of work to buy a jaguar than it would to dye your interior
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

no just dye the bottom half so you dont have to take it out. just tape it off really really reallly good. especially the door jams.take out the door panels, rear panels, deck, and carpet. dye and reinstall. boom two-tone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11122011083.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	82958   Click image for larger version

Name:	11122011079.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	82959  
Old 03-31-2012
Whachya lookin at?

The overspray from the dye is unreal...
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
The overspray from the dye is unreal...
what overspray?
Old 04-09-2012

Hmmm... interesting. I'll look into the possibility of dyes for my dashboard. I'd be plenty happy with just turning that brown clump of poo into a sleek black dash and leaving the luxurious beige down below, haha
Old 04-09-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by inifiniteblur
what overspray?
Hmm.. if he does it, he will find out