7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Gonna need a clutch soon.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LuVazquez is an unknown quantity at this point
Gonna need a clutch soon.

So I took my Civc in for a diagnosis. The dealer says my clutch is going out. I just got the car and since Im gonna change it out i figure I wanna go Stage 2 and short shifter while im at it. WHat brands are decent and not too expensive? Im thinking I wanna spend like 300 dollars in parts. How much do light weight flywheels go for?

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-21-2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Normal sizing restored for readability.
Old 03-18-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Gonna need a clutch soon.

It's 300 for a lightweight flywheel alone. Why did they say the clutch was going?
Old 03-21-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Well, depending on the brand, your stage 2 clutch can reach that 300 mark pretty quick. I'd stick with a stock one, and do the short shifter. I got my Exedy clutch for only 85 bucks off ebay. Short shifter I believe runs around 100-150. So that's under budget for ya.

Unless you need a stage 2, or you drive the hell out of your car, I don't see the need for it. But, everyone has their own preference.
Old 03-21-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

just curious...... why do u need a stage 2 clutch????

unless u are making some serious HP, you need need a stage 2...
Old 03-21-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
just curious...... why do u need a stage 2 clutch????

unless u are making some serious HP, you need need a stage 2...
'Cause he's my brother and a hooligan like me. That's why he needs a Stage 2.

Seriously, you don't need a stage 2, unless you have mods. Stage 1 organic is the most aggressive I would go. That's $230 for an Exedy or $200 for a Competition Clutch Stage 1.5. ACT Streetlite 11.9lb flywheel for $150. Please don't go to the dealer for the install.

Last edited by maxtierney; 03-21-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maxtierney
no further questions or explanations needed!

Old 03-22-2012
That's SiR to you!

96DXSiR is an unknown quantity at this point

When I did my swap I bought and installed a F1 Racing stage 3 with the 6 puck disc and lightweight flywheel. It's been in my car for almost 4 years and with my abuse on it I give it mad props lol!
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

scooty is on a distinguished road

Stage 2 clutch will have a stiffer clutch pedal and make the car more annoying in everyday traffic. I think one of the nicest thing about these cars is the super light and friendly clutch.
Old 03-26-2012

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scooty
Stage 2 clutch will have a stiffer clutch pedal and make the car more annoying in everyday traffic. I think one of the nicest thing about these cars is the super light and friendly clutch.
I personally hate how friendly our clutch is. I like that they're nice and light, makes it easier to drive in rush hour. But, for someone like myself who doesn't really drive in much traffic at all, I'd rather have a stiffer clutch and less niceness in my shifting. Sometimes I wonder if my clutch is slipping when I try to drive my car harder. I'll dump the clutch in third gear 1,000rpm higher than necessary, and the car feels like it was kicked in the *****. I'd expect a little jolt, and maybe some tire chirping, which I got when I learned to drive a 5spd in an RSX. But this car seems to just take the abuse and say "calm down, we're going to drive like your gramps today". Can't wait till I can afford a kevlar clutch... will hook up much nicer when I want it to.
Old 03-27-2012
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
no further questions or explanations needed!

lol!
Old 03-27-2012
EM2ti

I've got the stage 2, and I think the stage 1 is still the best of both worlds. More than enough bite for agressiveness on a NA engine with I/H/E. Stage 2 with a lightened FW is so abrupt, with little to no feathering. Yes, it'll grab, but it's almost too agressive for me. Almost. It's funny, I've stalled more times in the past 3 days than I have in the past 10 years owning this car. It really takes getting used to. Can't wait for the 500 mile break in to complete. I wont have to baby it so much and look like a 'tard at stop lights. Haha.
Old 03-27-2012

Originally Posted by scooty
this is what i was getting at.
Old 03-27-2012
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Do what im doing. Go for the Exedy stage 1 clutch, im with everyone else, u wont need the stage 2 unless u plan on droppin some serious cash into ur engine. But remember if its not broken dont fix it. Why do they say u need a new clutch?
Old 03-27-2012

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
But remember if its not broken dont fix it. Why do they say u need a new clutch?
Originally Posted by maxtierney

thats why
Old 03-28-2012
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Thats why he needs a stage 2, but r they sure his clutch is bad? Lol
Old 03-28-2012

Yes, they're sure. Always trust every auto shop, especially the ones that look like chop shops. They've got a LOT of experience, and know how to do the labor in half the time. I swear they're on something at those places...
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

boyd117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny this thread pops up as my clutch is basically pooched as of last night. Go to hit the gas and she just revs like a bitch haha, barely moves...my question though, is it better to get a new flywheel or have the old one resurfaced. I'm going to be pulling the tranny myself so there wont be labour costs.
Old 03-30-2012

I didn't resurface mine when I installed the my new clutch. I didn't see a need with mine. I'd just resurface yours if you think it needs it. Check for hot spots, uneven wear, scratches, the like. I know some say you should always resurface/replace, but I didn't see the need on mine.

Your call. Some would rather be safe than sorry. I'm just broke lol.