7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Non-Long Lasting Automatic Transmission..................

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013
Driving While Asian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bravesmaedchen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Non-Long Lasting Automatic Transmission..................

My 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe transmission finally took a crap... not officially... but it was at 185K miles when problems started showing up. I took it to AAMCO today and they quoted me $950 just to take it apart and look at it. I said, "No problem! Take my kidney!" I'm wondering what the real damage is going to be at the end.

But apparently, my car is a bit of a late bloomer considering other Civics in my year usually crap out between 75K and 100K miles. :-/ Silver lining!
Old 01-26-2013
Looking for an Alpha Romeo GTV6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cmac84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Non-Long Lasting Automatic Transmission..................

Originally Posted by mikey1
no two builds are EVER the exact same.....doesn't matter how good quality control is, there will always be slight differences and variations
Yea, my statement was meant to be more in the realm of do you really think as opposed to posing the question. I mean, its obvious that there was a reason for the problem but it will never be admitted why. (By reason I don't mean whats been discovered already as the failure point, but in the manufacturing process). Just like in I.T any single point of failure can cause brutality for months until its discovered. I imagine they had incorrectly setup machining or robotics involved in the process and figured it wouldn't amount to the problem it became.

However almost every board for every manufacturer h
as a model year and make that is supposedly flawed, it always seems to be those that are geared (no pun intended) towards those of us who like to tinker, drive fast or generally have people with little to no knowledge of proper maintenance and operation of a vehicle making the problem that much worst. No vehicle is without its flaws, it's too bad that it happens to be the damn transmission you have to worry about in ours. I'd much rather be worried about something that doesnt make me think twice everytime I get a slight rumble or awkward gear change (which is probably a bump in the road). paranoia.
I can't really complain about getting 400k out of an 11 year old car.. lol.