7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Non-Long Lasting Automatic Transmission..................

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-Long Lasting Automatic Transmission..................

very true, altho ive grown so used to autos i doubt i could drive a manual anymore, let alone justify all the money for a swap that most shops would find a way to mess up. i would just go with a different car or get a scooter for around town and rent a car for long distance. its just too expensive to maintain. altho this civic has certainly taught me more about cars than i ever wouldve imagined.

as for the auto trans, switch all the fluid out with valvoline maxlife and change it yearly. hope for the best and it will prolly hang on for a while. may want to change your drain bolt too if its the original cause i had the magnet part fall off the bolt before. luckily didnt get sucked in and i was able to fish it out (weak magnet so it was easy to pull out yet not weak enough to get sucked in).
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

My auto has 157,000, I have an '05 though. I'm keeping it till it dies, too.
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperMan2012 should not be trustedSuperMan2012 should not be trusted

Originally Posted by fsckewe
I think to come full circle..... yeah OP, it seems the 2003 are susceptible to some failures as the 2001 and 2002 models. And the consensus seems to be the millage is irrelevant.
I disagree. Most failed around 80,000 to 120,000 miles, although there are that failed before 30,000 miles, but those are uncommon.

I don't think it's irrational for someone who want to sell his 2003 Civic when it's still perfectly fine, but reaching the 100,000 miles due to the probability that the transmission will fail.
Old 03-16-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SuperMan2012
I disagree. Most failed around 80,000 to 120,000 miles, although there are that failed before 30,000 miles, but those are uncommon.
im calling you out. provide your legitimate source.

if the transmission was REALLY that big of a problem, honda would had a massive recall. just because 500ish transmissions were complained/reported doesnt mean anything. its a small % compared to the the MILLIONS of civics sold.

the number of "transmission failres" on the civic is so minuscule that honda doesnt even bother.

now, i said all the above with one exception. the ONLY problem honda ever acknowledge was the transmission in the 2001 (as far as 7th gens go)...and they offered an extended warranty on it. (not even a recall)

you heard of the 6th gen accord? it was something like one our of every 20 v6 had a transmission failure...it was so bad that honda extended their recall of the 98-01. 1 in 20 is a FLIPPING CRAP TON of accords...

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 03-16-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

do you ask... "why do we see so many damn complaints about it?"

because when people have problems, they go on forums and go on line to b!tch about it. thats why you always see someone posting a question about a problem (and thats EXACTLY why FORUMS are for).

but when you compare that sample size (the civics with trans failure), the actual number is very insignificant compared to the whole.... and honda knows this. not everyone takes care of their car and not all cars are going to last. many times its the user error that causes the error and they dont even know about it.

ill give you an example. i know of a friend whos has a 7th gen civic as well. it absolutely does not take care of his civic. i did his oil change for him last time (because it was an emergency, he needed asap before a long trip)

when i did it, i saw his oil light was on, and i asked him how long as it been? he said he's been driving with it on and off for A MONTH (YES A ******* MONTH).

So when i drained his old oil out, i was able to extract HALF A QUART. HALF A ******* QUART. i was so APPALLED.

how he has 188k on his car 03, i have no fking idea.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it's irrational for someone who want to sell his 2003 Civic when it's still perfectly fine, but reaching the 100,000 miles due to the probability that the transmission will fail.
Then I don't understand what your question is.

The only real statistical data available to us is carcomplaints.com and educated opinions of some on forums like this one. So either you don't want to believe that or you just simply aren't listening.

It's not a huge problem, but yes some people do experience an issue. But guess what.... it is YOUR problem. If you don't want to follow any of the options that have been described, call Honda. Their hotline number has been posted in several threads. If that doesn't suit your fancy and you feel you are truely been wronged by this "defective" part,.... sue them.

This thread has run its course as you seem to not want to listen what anyone says. And ****, I'm on your side arguing the same point.
Old 03-16-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

I sold my 01 auto trans with 145k km a couple days ago for $200. Was asking $300 but the guy drove 3hrs to get it. Finally got rid of it from my closet. Was sitting there for a year. I just wanted to get it out of my closet!
Old 03-16-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sleepy, honda did finally recall almost every auto trans in their entire lineup in 2004, but for some reason the civic was left out. every other make and model except civic. if honda had to recall 600,000 vehicles (later expanded to over a million) from 6 different honda models, that sounds like a huge deal to me. its curious why the civic was the ONLY model left out when im sure they knew the civic trans was just as bad. maybe the cars were still too new so they got away with saying well there were not many complaints for a 2 yr old car to justify a recall. dont kid yourselves guys. honda has taken a huge dump in quality and continues to go downhill. 20 yrs ago trans problems on a honda were unheard of.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...-failure.shtml

and few hundred more complaints

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...c+Transmission

Last edited by gearbox; 03-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

Gugle is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to get into the middle of it, but isn't it the number 2 clutch pack that normally burns out? (forgive my rough car lingo if number 2 clutch pack is not a correct part)

My auto went out 4,000 miles into my owning it at 108,000. It's the first auto i've ever owned heh, go figure. I've talked to Mr Murdich at TCI and they don't even make the kits anymore lol, going to try to get a hold of red eagle.

Aren't automatics generally speaking set up for more economical driving in hondas, versus racing from redlight to redlight? I want to do a manual swap, but time, money, tools, and a gravel driveway are all major hampers in the plan.
Old 03-16-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
sleepy, honda did finally recall almost every auto trans in their entire lineup in 2004, but for some reason the civic was left out. every other make and model except civic. if honda had to recall 600,000 vehicles (later expanded to over a million) from 6 different honda models, that sounds like a huge deal to me. its curious why the civic was the ONLY model left out when im sure they knew the civic trans was just as bad. maybe the cars were still too new so they got away with saying well there were not many complaints for a 2 yr old car to justify a recall. dont kid yourselves guys. honda has taken a huge dump in quality and continues to go downhill. 20 yrs ago trans problems on a honda were unheard of.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...-failure.shtml

and few hundred more complaints

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...c+Transmission

yup yup. i was reading that too, but it indicated it expanded its recalls up to 2004 for these models tho, which the civic isnt apart of (unless my small *** asian eyes are deceiving me?) :

"The models covered were the 2002-4 Odyssey; the 2003–4 Pilot; the 2001–2 Acura MDX; the 2003–4 Accord V-6; the 2000–4 Acura 3.2 TL and the 2001–3 Acura 3.2 CL"
Old 03-16-2012
Premium Member

the kits are still out there, last i checked you could still order it here

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/civic-mast...kit-01-02.html
Old 03-16-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

the carcomplaints.com page with over 500 fails did have plenty of 03-05 models in there, but majority was from 01-02. i imagine this difference is simply due to the cars being older and having more miles. give it a few more yrs for the newer models to catch up. the average fail is around 100k miles, and the newer models are not quite there yet at around 70-80k. while fails were reported below 100k, those seem to be rare compared to the average. there are also some that failed between 120-150k and those also were rare. living in places where the temps are higher can cause the fluid to go bad much quicker, and this speeds up the breakage from defective parts. but there are too many factors to list just one reason.
Let's not make reference the number of fails on carcomplaints without context, and surely, at least in my area, seventh gen civics are one of the most common cars on the road. BMW SMG failure rates are likely even higher, and many other automatic transmission failure rates relatively comparable, just not as many sold.

My transmission is just fine at 176k kilometers, Shift-Es lasted till 300k+ plus, and neither of ours had much maintenance early in the life cycle. Automatic transmissions are by virtue not as reliable as automatics, so if reliability is a huge issue, by a standard.

I'm ****ing sick of all the conjecture in these transmission threads.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber

I'm ****ing sick of all the conjecture in these transmission threads.
But there is value in conjecture. Asking if anyone else is experiencing the same troubles as oneself has a place here. That's the basis of forums such as this. Making baseless assertions is another thing.

Are the "statistics" from carcomplaints.com rock solid? Of course not, no one is making that claim. But it's something for your brain to chew on. There have been problems with some of the 7th gen auto trans. There are people who have torn apart these transmissions and found the failures and made their assessment on this forum. This makes one conjecture if it is a consistent problem. To assume this is a widespread problem that Honda is covering up is a stretch, I agree. But it doesn't mean it's nothing.

But I digress. Making wild claims without a basis is worthless. It seems some people are looking for a smoking gun or someone to blame. I am here because I have a part that is failing on my vehicle and I am looking for insight. I too am interested if others are having similar problems. And sometimes you have to wade through the **** to get to a good answer.
Old 03-16-2012
Premium Member

many of those comments i read made reference to their shops telling them "yeah we did ten 7th gen auto trans this month alone" so going off that you can easily conjure up thousands of other blown trans from people who do not know where or how to post their experience on forums or other sites. i myself have talked to at least 5 mechanics just in the reno area and every single one has told me, oh yeah, we know all about those cars thats what keeps us in business followed by some laughing. honda's reason for not making it a recall was "transmission is not a safety issue" so there you go. im not that clueless to go around saying honda is the best and i will never buy anything else, esp after reading all those complaints and talking with mechanics and honda dealers about it. you have to think logically. even if my car makes 200k which is doubtful, i would still never buy another honda. getting "lucky" doesnt mean the problem never existed considering honda finally admitted to it after the warranty ran out by posting a tsb about defective secondary clutch disk.

Last edited by gearbox; 03-16-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2012

Can't we all get along? I lOve everyone here

Ok I lied. Almost everyone.
Old 03-17-2012
Registered!!

SuperMan2012 should not be trustedSuperMan2012 should not be trusted

many of those comments i read made reference to their shops telling them "yeah we did ten 7th gen auto trans this month alone" so going off that you can easily conjure up thousands of other blown trans from people who do not know where or how to post their experience on forums or other sites.
How many miles does your 2002 Civic have? When do you plan to sell it?
Old 03-17-2012
Premium Member

it started slipping at 50k miles, and right now it has 102k and the slipping is no worse than when it started. planning to drive til it dies. im not a typical owner tho that just does a fluid change every 3 yrs. i was changing the fluid yearly starting at 18k miles, and for a while i also used an external filter and LC20 additive. last summer i finally switched to valvoline maxlife atf and i wish i wouldve done it sooner. it runs so much smoother and shifts better than it even did with the old honda z1 fluid. slipping is not as bad either because the new fluid warms up faster. but i know its only a matter of time before it gives up. no amount of careful maintenance and driving can win against defective parts and bad design.

oh and to answer your original question, yes the 01-05 all have the same defects. after reading more of the 03-05 complaints, while there are not nearly as many of them, they still say the same thing about how it broke. that leads me to believe they never fixed the original problems. worn secondary clutch disc, bad internal filter, poor torque converters, etc. some replies pointed to possible differences between japan vs usa trans, but there was no actual conclusion as to which is better built. the overall message was that you are no better off swapping in a 2005 trans, other than it having few miles. but even that is no guarantee because some 2005 trans failed at only 15k miles. this is why i originally said i would never think about a rebuild unless i could find a reliable mechanic that can use the tci racing kit. a regular rebuilt trans will never work the same and usually will not even last a year before you are back at the shop. usually 2-6 weeks is the average lifespan after a rebuild and ive had lots of experience with this on other cars. i will never make that mistake again. its not worth spending thousands just to have a car that you have to worry whether it will die each day. and then keep taking it back for warranty work every month.

Last edited by gearbox; 03-17-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

POQbum can only hope to improve

it started slipping at 50k miles, and right now it has 102k and the slipping is no worse than when it started.
I drive an '05 LX automatic and have the same issue.

If I mess around with slowing moving around D2, D3 and back to D then it seems to have less issues- idk that might just all be in my head.

Still definitely tranny problems but I've been driving it for 50k+ miles after I found out it'll cost 3k to fix it. Once it dies, my car will be sold and I'll get a new car. Not worth the replacement.
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

How many miles does your 2002 Civic have? When do you plan to sell it?
Seriously, just quit trolling.
Old 03-19-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Does it slip when hot or just cold? What gears?

Lowlife9 has same as me, 200rpm flare going from 3-4 when hot, between 2000 and 2800rpms. Anything under or over RPMS and it doesnt flare.

So I just keep it in D3 for the most part and manual shift to D (to get to 4th) and it doesnt flare.

Originally Posted by POQbum
I drive an '05 LX automatic and have the same issue.

If I mess around with slowing moving around D2, D3 and back to D then it seems to have less issues- idk that might just all be in my head.

Still definitely tranny problems but I've been driving it for 50k+ miles after I found out it'll cost 3k to fix it. Once it dies, my car will be sold and I'll get a new car. Not worth the replacement.
Old 01-15-2013
Looking for an Alpha Romeo GTV6

Cmac84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just sayin; I'm @ 389,000km on my original auto-trans in an 01 Civic cpe LX

Who's gone past 500? 400?

Did I luck out or what here? lol.
Old 01-15-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cmac84
Just sayin; I'm @ 389,000km on my original auto-trans in an 01 Civic cpe LX

Who's gone past 500? 400?

Did I luck out or what here? lol.
im at 250,000km on original tranny, shifts like new

a relative is at 240,000km on their original tranny and fluid!

i wonder if it has anything to do with the way the car is driven?.....my car rarely ever see's rpms over 3,000, just sayin
Old 01-16-2013

Originally Posted by mikey1
im at 250,000km on original tranny, shifts like new

a relative is at 240,000km on their original tranny and fluid!

i wonder if it has anything to do with the way the car is driven?.....my car rarely ever see's rpms over 3,000, just sayin

I think you're right, I don't take off the line racing to the next red or anything stupid. I just commute to work and pick up the kids from the ex. So really, I mean with regular oil changes and a mechanic friend that gives me lots of help on small issues I've never had anything major to worry about, other than re-sale. But even then, when it comes time for a new car I'll just buy a used tranny or whatever and convert this into a track/hobby car and have fun stripping it down like I did my Fierro .
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

botakcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

it started slipping at 50k miles, and right now it has 102k and the slipping is no worse than when it started. planning to drive til it dies. im not a typical owner tho that just does a fluid change every 3 yrs. i was changing the fluid yearly starting at 18k miles, and for a while i also used an external filter and LC20 additive. last summer i finally switched to valvoline maxlife atf and i wish i wouldve done it sooner. it runs so much smoother and shifts better than it even did with the old honda z1 fluid. slipping is not as bad either because the new fluid warms up faster. but i know its only a matter of time before it gives up. no amount of careful maintenance and driving can win against defective parts and bad design.

oh and to answer your original question, yes the 01-05 all have the same defects. after reading more of the 03-05 complaints, while there are not nearly as many of them, they still say the same thing about how it broke. that leads me to believe they never fixed the original problems. worn secondary clutch disc, bad internal filter, poor torque converters, etc. some replies pointed to possible differences between japan vs usa trans, but there was no actual conclusion as to which is better built. the overall message was that you are no better off swapping in a 2005 trans, other than it having few miles. but even that is no guarantee because some 2005 trans failed at only 15k miles. this is why i originally said i would never think about a rebuild unless i could find a reliable mechanic that can use the tci racing kit. a regular rebuilt trans will never work the same and usually will not even last a year before you are back at the shop. usually 2-6 weeks is the average lifespan after a rebuild and ive had lots of experience with this on other cars. i will never make that mistake again. its not worth spending thousands just to have a car that you have to worry whether it will die each day. and then keep taking it back for warranty work every month.
Would you recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF over Honda Genuine ATF-DW-1?
Appreciate if you would comment.

Thx.
Old 01-23-2013

Originally Posted by botakcivic
Would you recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF over Honda Genuine ATF-DW-1?
Appreciate if you would comment.

Thx.

In the end you either are a victim of the problem or not. So, my thoughts are that according to his post that I would go with Valvoline Maxlife if it worked for him and slippage. However at 400,000km, still running like new in -37c weather I think its a per-build basis or something...

I've always just brought it to Honda for Trans/Oil changes now that I live in an apartment building.
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

fraziercorey is an unknown quantity at this point

Delivery or Takeout?
Don’t want to go out, but still want to have your favorite cuisines? Get your meal fast with PrimeTakeout.com! Our Food Delivery and Takeout Service puts you in contact with your favorite local restaurants for delivery and takeout. It's EASY! – Select your zip code, and get a complete list of restaurants in your area. From there, place your order and have it delivered, Hot, Fresh, & Fast directly to your home, office, hotel, or event location.

takeout
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

If you have 400k on your car you should stick with honda DW1 fluid. In canada the bottle says fully synthetic.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2144708

According to his video it seems some of the problems is related to the tranmission main pressure regulator valve getting stuck or the 3 bolt was over torque.
Old 01-24-2013

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89
If you have 400k on your car you should stick with honda DW1 fluid. In canada the bottle says fully synthetic.

According to his video it seems some of the problems is related to the tranmission main pressure regulator valve getting stuck or the 3 bolt was over torque.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuv9UZumqWI
But do you think that every build had the issue is what I'm wondering. Because I mean, I should of had mine give out by now or at least act funny cause I drove like an ******* here and there (but mostly drive like a grown up since having had a kid)

I took a picture today idling smooth as brand new in (like I said -37 with windchill), I rarely hit over 3k rpm, I do hit 5 in the hills when trying to pick up speed but I live in the valley so what can I do when driving along the Ottawa river.
Old 01-24-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cmac84
But do you think that every build had the issue is what I'm wondering. Because I mean, I should of had mine give out by now or at least act funny cause I drove like an ******* here and there (but mostly drive like a grown up since having had a kid)

I took a picture today idling smooth as brand new in (like I said -37 with windchill), I rarely hit over 3k rpm, I do hit 5 in the hills when trying to pick up speed but I live in the valley so what can I do when driving along the Ottawa river.
no two builds are EVER the exact same.....doesn't matter how good quality control is, there will always be slight differences and variations
Old 01-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89

read this too (don't remember details, i have manual trans :P):

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...nsmission.html

Quick Reply: Non-Long Lasting Automatic Transmission..................