7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jacking the car up

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point
Jacking the car up

So I was pulling out the tools for starting my exhaust swap and my dad comes out to yell at me saying that I shouldn't be jacking the car up the way I was. I started on the driver side and put 2 jackstands on the front and back and then I was going to start the other side when I was interrupted. He said I should do front to back instead of side to side because it'll probably fall off the stands. Also, my driveway doesn't sit completely flat, but its pretty close, and he said that could be dangerous when I'm under the car. I'd imagine the car on 4 jackstands wouldn't move very much at all... Now he's got me worried I'll crush myself
Old 03-09-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Jacking the car up

falling, i am not sure, but doing one side and the other, you have different weights at right of the jack and the left.
just use the front subframe (arrow in the plastic cover) and the rear suspension subframe. the weight will be equal to each side of the jack.
and leave a tire under the car so if it falls from jacks, they will still reckon you when they remove you from under :P (underlined part is a joke :P)
the side jacking points are not close to the center of gravity of teh car, for starters.
Old 03-09-2012
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks lol. After looking around some more I guess using the sub frame would be the best idea. Just seemed like going driver to passenger would be easier. On another thought, when I get the exhaust installed is it okay to start the car on the jackstands? I'm assuming no, and probably won't do it, but just wondering if others do it.
Old 03-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The only reason to not start it on the stands would be engine vibration knocking it off the stands. It's a very minimal risk. You can always take one end off the stands- much more stable that way.