7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What Types of Maintenance Have You...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperMan2012 should not be trustedSuperMan2012 should not be trusted
What Types of Maintenance Have You...........

What type of maintenance have you done other than the engine oil change every 5,000 miles or so?

How often do you do transmission fluid and brake fluid change? Every 2 years?
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: What Types of Maintenance Have You...........

i do a single drain and fill every time i change my oil. i use synthetic oil so i can extend the changes the brake flud i go by the book as for everything else.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Do most people really follow the manual and do brake fluids change very two year, etc.?
Old 02-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperMan2012
Do most people really follow the manual and do brake fluids change very two year, etc.?
Most "appliance users" don't do anything but oil changes.
Then they whine and cry about it breaking and having to (*GASP*) PAY for anything.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

If most appliance users don't do anything other than oil change, and most appliances cars have been considered as reliable by these users, which makes me think that for most appliances, the other stuffs are not needed other than oil change.
Old 02-12-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you really don't have to do anything to your appliance at all.
You don't even need to change the oil, EVER.
It's all just a scam perpetrated by the Quickie Oil Change places to get your money.

/Have you hugged your refrigerator today?
//It's lonely.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Most "appliance users" don't do anything but oil changes.
Then they whine and cry about it breaking and having to (*GASP*) PAY for anything.
I agree with this...

HOWEVER

ALOT of dealers and mechanics, techs , quicklube places etc etc push alot of **** that is not needed. Some stuff they push is even reccomened AGAINST by the dealership and the manual. (Quick lube places do this alot) Such as motor flushes. Some manufactures say DO NOT do it. And quick lube places say it MUST be done. They are full of ****.

That being said I have done

-oil change (5k)
-trans drain and fill (auto) (30k)
-brake (when it gets nasty looking) Usually under the reccomended 3 years
-coolant (same as above)
-powersteering(same as above)
-Timing belt (100k)
-I also rotate the tires as I see fit.

All done by myself, and done correct usually with OEM fluid and parts.
Old 02-14-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
I agree with this...

HOWEVER

ALOT of dealers and mechanics, techs , quicklube places etc etc push alot of **** that is not needed.

Gee...If only there was some sort of information guide that one could refer to, a list that one could look at, maybe perhaps a schedule that tells when and what to do certain things....... If only such a booklet existed........Maybe they could even send it with the car when they build it......

Naaaah. Appliance users can't possibly need to read about any of that crap. It's an appliance, after all. Just plug it in and it keeps your beer cold.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Gee...If only there was some sort of information guide that one could refer to, a list that one could look at, maybe perhaps a schedule that tells when and what to do certain things....... If only such a booklet existed........Maybe they could even send it with the car when they build it......

Naaaah. Appliance users can't possibly need to read about any of that crap. It's an appliance, after all. Just plug it in and it keeps your beer cold.
If your talking about my personal maint scheduel..
Lol, I agree 100% man. The only reason I dont follow the book to a T is because I feel I know when my coolant has been overdue etc etc. I find that I stick close to the book scheduels. I feel I dont need to exactly follow it. But its all relevent. I may be harder on my breaks then the next guy and my fluid might get dirty faster.

If your talking about other people.. well I believe everyone should read the little book there car came with but lets be honest not everyone is like me and you and most people on this board.
When you go to the doctor you trust him, shouldnt you have the same trust like that in your mechanic? I am not trying to knock all technicians, a few of my very close friends are honest and hard working technicians. But realisticly the automotive industry does a good job taking advantage of ignorant people. Just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2012

When you go to the doctor
My mom spent her working days in ICU at the hospital.
She KNOWS which doctors are good, and which doctors you DON'T want working on you.

Kinda the same, huh?
You can find this in every profession.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

This list can't be complete.

For example, for people who don't drive much, can they wait for 12, 15, 20 years to change timing belt if they still have not reached 100K miles yet? The samething can be said to Transmission Fluids.

That being said I have done

-oil change (5k)
-trans drain and fill (auto) (30k)
-brake (when it gets nasty looking) Usually under the reccomended 3 years
-coolant (same as above)
-powersteering(same as above)
-Timing belt (100k)
-I also rotate the tires as I see fit.

All done by myself, and done correct usually with OEM fluid and parts.
Old 02-15-2012

Nope, there are time stipulations in addition to mileage (whichever comes first, etc.) for most items.
Examples:
Warranty, expires at 3 years/36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Timing belt, due at 7 years/105,000 miles, whichever comes first.
And so forth....

It's all in your owners manual. RTFM.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

She KNOWS which doctors are good, and which doctors you DON'T want working on you.

Kinda the same, huh?
Originally Posted by SuperMan2012
This list can't be complete.

For example, for people who don't drive much, can they wait for 12, 15, 20 years to change timing belt if they still have not reached 100K miles yet? The samething can be said to Transmission Fluids.
So you think if you didnt drive the car for 20 years the belt will be ok?

Think about a car thats been sitting for years, tires go flat and they start to dry rot.
Same thing for a timing belt.

All fluids are the same, if you change the oil in your car then put it away for 20 years the oil will be contaminated with moisture and what not. Stick to the manual, or as close as you can and you will be good.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Kinda the same, huh?
My point is ratio to doctors telling you need your leg amputated to mechanics telling you you need new parts is very different.

More doctors are honest then mechanics. And rightfully so.. Its just my opinion.