7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Heats up and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thegrinch is an unknown quantity at this point
Heats up and stalls

I am contemplating purchasing a 2003 civic hx with over 120k miles. I was told there is a problem that when the car heats up, it will stall and can not be started until it cools down. It will turn over but not start. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?
Old 02-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heats up and stalls

Get it really super cheap because it's broken and dangerous.
Then you can afford to have it fixed with all the money you saved.

Seriously. Could be $20, could be $2000.... You don't have enough clues here for me to take even a wild stab.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, I dont think it would be THAT pricey. If its an electrical problem you may not have too much fun fixing it. If your inclined to fix it I say go for it. Make sure it doesnt overheat and make sure the tranny shifts good.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I'll take a stab at it. I think it's a bad main relay, grounding problem, or a bad connection. Everything heats up and expands, pulling a connection apart.
Old 02-02-2012
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

Could also be a bad front O2 sensor or ECU. When the car is cold it runs in a closed loop cycle not readong from the front O2. When is reaches operating temp it switches to open loop and takes readings from the front O2 and the MAP sensor. If one of those is bad when is goes open it will flood the car and shut it off and wont start until the car is cool enough to go back to closed loop.
Old 02-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CrewChief
Could also be a bad front O2 sensor or ECU. When the car is cold it runs in a closed loop cycle not readong from the front O2. When is reaches operating temp it switches to open loop and takes readings from the front O2 and the MAP sensor. If one of those is bad when is goes open it will flood the car and shut it off and wont start until the car is cool enough to go back to closed loop.
You got open loop and closed loop backwards.
Old 02-02-2012
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

Maaaa Baaad. Thanks for the catch. I just re read it and was like WHAAAAT.