7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying Squeaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Annoying Squeaking Noise

Alright so just the other day my front drivers side started making a pulsing squeaking noise. It doesn't get faster with speed and doesn't squeak at a consistent rate. The guy at autozone said its bushings. Didnt say what kind just bushings. Any input?
Old 01-26-2012
2001 civic ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheladan3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Annoying Squeaking Noise

Does it change when braking, turning, or going over bumps? Is it a rubber squeak or a metallic squeak/
Old 01-26-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

I believe it's a metallic squeak. And it seems to be the same no matter what
Old 01-26-2012
2001 civic ex

First I would check all control arm bolts and all the subframe bolts, do not just look try tightening all. Also it would help if you can tell when you here the noise, ie bumps, turning, decel, accel, and if it happens if the right wheel hits a bump and you still hear it on the left side.
Old 01-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Brake pad squealers (wear indicators)??
Old 01-26-2012
Busy Speeding!!

@ezone it's not a high pitched squeak like brakes, but more like a stress squeak or metal on metal as if a bushing was broken. I will check all bushings tomorrow night
Old 01-26-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
The guy at autozone said its bushings. Didnt say what kind just bushings. Any input?
You trustin a ChinaZone flunky?
Last week he was askin "You want that Soopersized???"

ChinaZone: Whatever they sell is what you need!
If they don't sell it, you don't need it!

/No input from me, just snickers.

Bulletins
01-054 Lower coils of the front springs contact one another
03-039 Lower control arm front bushing

It's over 10 years old, a lot can happen. Body noises?
Old 01-27-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Im betting on the lower control arm bushings... I find it kind of odd though because they generally make noise when turning or running over bumps. Another thing to check is to make sure the dust shield is not rubbing on the rotor. hmmmm...
Old 01-27-2012
Busy Speeding!!

It seems like it stops when I turn or when im braking. Only happens when im going in a straight line
Old 01-27-2012
2001 civic ex

If it makes noise on a smooth straight road then possible wheelbearing(that could let rotor contact the backing plate) or the caliper bracket.

Last edited by wheladan3; 01-27-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Spray the top of your struts with some penetrating oil. Sometimes the rubber up there gets dry and worn. This is what my problem was. This is really only a temporary solution until you can change the rubber on the tophats. Or replace them all together.
Old 01-28-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Good call, I forgot about them.
Old 01-28-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Well here's the verdict. Went under my car and all bushings and joints look good. except my passenger ball joint D:< I guess I gotta save up for that next. anyways I found that my driver intake manifold brace unbolted from the manifold, swung down, and was rubbin up on the axle. Also saw my sway bar brackets were missing one bolt on each of the two brackets. Wtff?? But the problems all solved
Old 01-28-2012

Wow. Who has been working on your car?
Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea, doesnt sound like a normal thing to me. Sounds more like SOMEONE rather then SOMETHING.
Old 01-28-2012
Busy Speeding!!

My bad. Guess i didnt tighten down those down 100% WOT mustve lossened it... Damn
Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

You were the last one to do the work?

Double check your wheels, dont want them flying off on the highway
Old 01-28-2012

Buy, learn, and use a torque wrench?
Old 01-29-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Lol okay it's a simple thing I overlooked. I make sure to always double and triple check my work because I drive on the highway quite often
Old 01-29-2012

But you said a few hours ago.....

anyways I found that my driver intake manifold brace unbolted from the manifold, swung down, and was rubbin up on the axle. Also saw my sway bar brackets were missing one bolt on each of the two brackets.
Now you say.....

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
Lol okay it's a simple thing I overlooked. I make sure to always double and triple check my work because I drive on the highway quite often
Liar.
What, you just now started triple-double checking your work this evening?
LOL

Man, if I did work like that, I wouldn't have any real customers left.
I would have to bribe the AAA tow truck drivers to drag dead ones in off the interstate to me. Then they'd be trapped like rats, I could keep the cars for 6 weeks while I install self-destruct parts. Muahahahaha.
Old 01-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Now Now. At least he is willing to do the work himself. A lot of people on here take it somewhere!
Old 01-29-2012

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Now Now. At least he is willing to do the work himself. A lot of people on here take it somewhere!
True.
Hey, I wrote LOL in there....I wasn't really trying to be harsh.
You didn't catch the reference to the "Legal Advice? Help Needed. Calling all Members" thread?
Old 01-29-2012
Busy Speeding!!

@ezone I caught that reference lol good one
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

Lol I got it as well, still harsh.

Anyway, just becareful you seriously need to double check your work.
If I am doing something on my car, I check **** over and over even if I KNOW I got it right.
Its the beauty of working on your car the amount of detail you can pay attention to because your not getting paid per job.
Old 01-29-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Lol I got it as well, still harsh.

Anyway, just becareful you seriously need to double check your work.
If I am doing something on my car, I check **** over and over even if I KNOW I got it right.
Its the beauty of working on your car the amount of detail you can pay attention to because your not getting paid per job.
Come on, wasn't the LOL good enough?
Dang, tough crowd in here.

Hey, if *I* screw something up I get to do it over for free. It behooves me to do it right the first time. That's the way my pay plan works.

If I have to fix someone elses' problem, their time sheet gets docked to pay me for mine.