7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Word of warning on ebay OEM style parts

Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Word of warning on ebay OEM style parts

Hi all.
Just a word of warning on OEM style parts from ebay and such. I bought an OEM style fog lights kit for my 2001 civic ex on ebay for around 30 bucks. At the time I was quite giddy since the retail on genuine OEM fog light is close to $300 at the dealer I believe. Well today it finally rained in California and I noticed my fog lights weren't at their usual brightness. Well turns out the insides of them are totally drenched due to the inadequate sealant work. No doubt this stuff was cranked out in China somewhere for $1 with no quality control what so ever.

Well lesson learned for me. Just ordered a new set of genuine OEM fog lights. Saving money is great but on things that's gonna be exposed to the elements or could kill you if they fail, don't get the Chinese knockoffs lol.

Last edited by magrider; 01-21-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Word of warning on ebay OEM style parts

You could have resealed them for $5.
Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
You could have resealed them for $5.
Actually I did. Bought some clear Silicone sealant and tried to seal them up. Well the result is they are waterproof now but I did such a messy job they look like complete crap now. ;-(

So I just gave up and ebayed some genuine ones for around 2x the cost of the knockoffs.
Old 01-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Sealing a light takes a bit of practice and patience, definitely.

The wiring harnesses are much better on OEM fogs as well.
Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The wiring harnesses are much better on OEM fogs as well.
Just make your own if you need to. It'd be better than some eBay crap.
Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

03civict is an unknown quantity at this point

$30 compared to $300 , def go with cheap and just fix em up a bit with new sealant and maybe even better bulbs. but if your not familiar with doing things like that probably easier to buy good ones I guess if you got the cash.
Old 01-21-2012
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Money "saved" on something that's crap is just money thrown away. Do it right the first time from now on.
Old 01-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Money "saved" on something that's crap is just money thrown away. Do it right the first time from now on.
That is very true on some things. For example Engine Parts where a cheap part could cost you a engine. But for something like like fog lights, paying $270 extra dollars just to save you ten minutes of re-sealing or solder a few wires seems like a waste of hard earned money. Just my opinion though. All depends on what a person is capable of doing on their vehicles I suppose.
Old 01-22-2012
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 03civict
That is very true on some things. For example Engine Parts where a cheap part could cost you a engine. But for something like like fog lights, paying $270 extra dollars just to save you ten minutes of re-sealing or solder a few wires seems like a waste of hard earned money. Just my opinion though. All depends on what a person is capable of doing on their vehicles I suppose.
I understand your point, and I thought like that too before. I bought a cheap shift **** for $15 and it didn't tighten at the right spot so the gears were facing the wrong way on the ****. Then I bought another cheap **** that actually BROKE off and stripped some of the threads on my shifter rod (if that's what it's called) before I got home from the store. I went back, complained, and they basically told me to f off. Usually people (or stores) who sell the cheap stuff are cheap themselves, so when it breaks, they don't care. I'm currently stuck with the **** that's facing the right way until I can sum up the courage to spend money on a good one, because after all it's just a ****.

I don't generally trust cheap products either. If I had a MOMO shift **** and steering wheel, Tokico shocks, Recaro seats, OEM lip/skirts, then WalMart fog lights, the fogs would feel out of place IMO. I don't care if nobody else knows they're WalMart lights - I know they are, and on a car with great quality everywhere else, it only makes sense to treat everything with that level of care. (I don't have these items; it's just an example).

Even the little things matter, like floor mats. I bought some stupid Costco winter mats and they don't fit properly (the gas/trunk door lever is in the way) so the mat is crooked. It slips and slides, and because of their stupid design, every time I release the clutch, my shoe catches on the mat and either the clutch doesn't release or the mat slides backwards. Completely ruins the driving experience in Winter.

Anyway.
Old 01-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ahem....
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...tallation.html
Old 01-22-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Brian, don't you have knock off fog lights?
Old 01-22-2012
Registered!!

Gearhead 1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone willing to share a thread or advice on how to seal, build a harness for fog lights. I want to go through the cheap route for my fog lights too; but not willing to spend $300 for fog lights! !~!~
Old 01-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gearhead 1978
Anyone willing to share a thread or advice on how to seal, build a harness for fog lights. I want to go through the cheap route for my fog lights too; but not willing to spend $300 for fog lights! !~!~
I believe even the cheap ebay fogs come with the wiring and switch. As far as sealing I would buy some clear marine silicone.
Old 01-22-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by magrider
Hi all.
Just a word of warning on OEM style parts from ebay and such. I bought an OEM style fog lights kit for my 2001 civic ex on ebay for around 30 bucks. At the time I was quite giddy since the retail on genuine OEM fog light is close to $300 at the dealer I believe. Well today it finally rained in California and I noticed my fog lights weren't at their usual brightness. Well turns out the insides of them are totally drenched due to the inadequate sealant work. No doubt this stuff was cranked out in China somewhere for $1 with no quality control what so ever.

Well lesson learned for me. Just ordered a new set of genuine OEM fog lights. Saving money is great but on things that's gonna be exposed to the elements or could kill you if they fail, don't get the Chinese knockoffs lol.
ill give you $10 bucks for ur ebay oem style foglights.

where in CA are u from?
Old 01-23-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I understand your point, and I thought like that too before. I bought a cheap shift **** for $15 and it didn't tighten at the right spot so the gears were facing the wrong way on the ****. Then I bought another cheap **** that actually BROKE off and stripped some of the threads on my shifter rod (if that's what it's called) before I got home from the store. I went back, complained, and they basically told me to f off. Usually people (or stores) who sell the cheap stuff are cheap themselves, so when it breaks, they don't care. I'm currently stuck with the **** that's facing the right way until I can sum up the courage to spend money on a good one, because after all it's just a ****.

I don't generally trust cheap products either. If I had a MOMO shift **** and steering wheel, Tokico shocks, Recaro seats, OEM lip/skirts, then WalMart fog lights, the fogs would feel out of place IMO. I don't care if nobody else knows they're WalMart lights - I know they are, and on a car with great quality everywhere else, it only makes sense to treat everything with that level of care. (I don't have these items; it's just an example).

Even the little things matter, like floor mats. I bought some stupid Costco winter mats and they don't fit properly (the gas/trunk door lever is in the way) so the mat is crooked. It slips and slides, and because of their stupid design, every time I release the clutch, my shoe catches on the mat and either the clutch doesn't release or the mat slides backwards. Completely ruins the driving experience in Winter.

Anyway.
Amen. Thank god I'm not the only one. Haha.

Originally Posted by Gearhead 1978
Check eBayfor OEM or Genuine Honda fog lights. I bought my kit for $20 shipped. Only thing I needed was the switch (which cost me more than the kit, after tax and shipping). They're listed every once in a while, you just have to be patient and know what keywords to type in. I've seen a handful under $40 or $50 bucks in the past 6 months.
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
ill give you $10 bucks for ur ebay oem style foglights.

where in CA are u from?
I ruined them when I tried to reseal them up myself. They got clear silicone everywhere, including on the lenses. They are not even worth the shipping cost anymore imo.

Btw I am not recommending people buy this stuff straight from the dealership, unless you got $ to burn since they always charge outrageous prices. Like I said before I got OEM ones off ebay for around twice the cost of the knockoffs. The extra cost is worth it because not only is the OEM light properly sealed, it also has a glare cap which helps in controlling the light output. My knockoff didn't have the glare cap and it threw light everywhere in comparison.
Old 01-24-2012
Sedans > Coupes

I didn't even know you could get genuine OEM on ebay. How do they get on ebay??
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

I didn't even know you could get genuine OEM on ebay. How do they get on ebay??
Who knows, anything can get on ebay I suppose. I got them from some salvage company. The kit doesn't come with the switch, but has everything else. All the ebay knockoff kits I have seen use a simplified wiring harness. They basically all consist of a relay which draws power directly from the battery, and is controlled by a switch that you plug into your underdash fusebox. The stock harness does not require you to connect wires to the battery.

The kit I got could be fake I guess, but its components match the OEM kit as described in the stock install instructions:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/CIVIC01FOG.pdf