7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lip kit-change in mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Lip kit-change in mpg?

I haven't put a lip kit on yet (it's like 15 degrees outside) but I was wondering if a front lip would affect mpg at all? I've googled it and searched but there is very little on the subject. On one hand I think it would decrease mpg b/c the car has a little more surface area but on the other hand if you look at the way lips are shaped, it looks like they are curved to put more airflow around the car or over it rather than under it. Since the bottom of the car is a wind trap, this might counteract the increased surface area. Opinions?
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Lip kit-change in mpg?

To get a noticeable increase you would have to have the lip riding right on the road surface. With our cars the increase/decrease will be so insignificant you probably won't be able to tell a difference.
Old 01-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I had a customer tell me that he found a consistent 1.5 MPG drop on the highway when his car was wearing a bra with 2 little deflectors that stood up on top of the hood. It was an older Mazda 626 turbo.

My dad claimed a consistent 1-2 MPG gain after switching Moms old 86 Accord from 10w30 to 5w30.

If you have been religious about calculating your mileage up to this point in time, you may notice a small change after adding the lip.
Frontal area increase may or may not be offset by any aerodynamic gain under the car. ( cd )
Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Well I guess I'll have to find sometime this summer then. I plan to lower it and add a lip so lowering it should give it a minor mpg bump and IF the lip decreases mpg then it should come out to about equal.