7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Engine Will Be Next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
What Engine Will Be Next?

Honda has always been known for its great fuel efficiency, and now that the K and R series are growing old, what will replace these two engines?

The D-series was produced from 1984-2005 and came standard in most civics. Si civics came with the upgraded B-series DOHC engines. The B-series lasted from 1989-2001.

The R series replaced the D series in standard civics (Both SOHC), and in the Si the K series replaced the B series (Both DOHC). See where im going here?

The K series started in 2002 and is already 10 years old. If im not mistaken, Honda has already ceased production of the K20 and now only makes the K24 (and the K23?). Anyways, i did a little research to see what would be our next engine of choice to swap into our EM2s. Of course it will take years until performance parts are easily avaliable and swap mounts are made, but to have knowledge about an engine before it is released, is always a good thing. Here are my findings. Comment if you'd like.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...d-engines.html
All of Honda’s four-cylinder engines will now feature double overhead camshafts in three years’ time, replacing the old SOHC designs found on the Civic and Fit. All four-cylinders also will have direct injection over the current multipoint fuel-injection systems. Both changes should increase fuel efficiency.
Four-cylinder powertrains will ditch their five-speed automatics for a new CVT design. Three CVT designs will be used on all mini, compact and midsize vehicles equipped with four-cylinders. The transmission will add 10% better fuel efficiency compared to the former five-speed automatic transmission. However, the editors at Cars.com have found many CVT applications, especially on four-cylinder models, lacking in terms of driving feel and performance versus traditional automatics.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/11/29...ev-powertrain/
The Earth Dreams Technology Engine lineup consists of:

◦3.5-liter V-6 that produces 310-hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. That’s 30 more horses and 11 more lb-ft of torque than the outgoing 3.5 liter in the Acura TL.
◦2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder producing 181-hp and 177 lb-ft of torque. This engine will be the base unit offered in the redesigned Accord that is due next fall. It could also make its way into the CR-V in 2013.
◦1.8-liter inline 4-cylinder with 148-hp and 133 lb-ft torque, will be offered in the Civic in 2013.
◦1.5-liter inline 4-cylinder making 127-hp and 111 lb-ft – will make its way into the Fit subcompact.
◦1.6-liter turbodiesel engine with output that compares to the current 2.2-liter diesel, will offer better fuel-economy.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...130-1o5tn.html
Honda is claiming a five per cent improvement in fuel economy for the Accord's new 2.4-litre petrol engine as well as a 10 per cent increase in torque. Its power output is claimed to be more than 135kW - which is just as well, given the current Accord Euro is good for 148kW.

The new diesel is a 1.6-litre unit that Honda claims is the lightest of its type in the world, and will be available in the new Civic early in 2013.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/02...t-all-new.html
The regular Civic Sedan and Coupe models get the 140HP 1.8-liter i-VTEC (but not the aero improvements) and are expected to return an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 39 mpg on the highway, an improvement of 3 mpg over the current model. The Civic Natural Gas model is anticipated to earn a 7 percent improvement in fuel economy compared to the current version.

Finally, the sportiest model of the lot is the Si which get a larger and more powerful 2.4-liter engine as well as a new 6-speed manual transmission. Honda said it the new engine will deliver 200 horsepower with 170 ft-lb of torque. According to the company, the Si models are anticipated to achieve an EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of 31 mpg; an increase of 2 mpg when compared to the current model.
Old 01-14-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Re: What Engine Will Be Next?

I heard somewhere that the S-Series is going to be the base engine and the V-Series will be the upgraded version
Old 01-14-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Bump because this is a great topic
Old 01-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Finally, Honda is releasing a diesel engine!
Old 01-14-2012
Busy Speeding!!

I know! Sourcing the turbo from that will be nice for turboing civics. And even though the cvt is replacing the automatics I heard manuals are still gonna stay in production. Im even more excited that Honda is doing away with sohc and doing strictly dohc.
Old 01-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

it would be nice to see an increase in factory honda turbo parts to utilize on civics, it's a bit of a shame that hasn't been realistically possible with K23 turbo parts. About the only thing I've seen frankensteined off that engine is the valve cover onto a K24..
Old 01-15-2012
Busy Speeding!!

I want to see Acura have some nice factory turbo cars. Sourcing a turbo from a Honda is a good idea because you KNOW it's a quality part. What brand do you think they'll use? Or do you think they'll build thier own turbo?
Old 01-15-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

these new engines sounds like they will be even more an pain to do stuff on them, what with the integrated intake/exhaust...
diesel is good - no more plugs to change no more knocking
Old 01-15-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Yeah I wish I was a teen back in the 5th and 6th gen civic days. Nice lightweight chassis and cheap parts. Now all the safety features and electronics weigh down cars too much
Old 01-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
these new engines sounds like they will be even more an pain to do stuff on them, what with the integrated intake/exhaust...
diesel is good - no more plugs to change no more knocking
Im all for diesel, but it does bring up parts prices a bit.
Old 02-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/02...t-all-new.html
The regular Civic Sedan and Coupe models get the 140HP 1.8-liter i-VTEC (but not the aero improvements) and are expected to return an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 39 mpg on the highway, an improvement of 3 mpg over the current model. The Civic Natural Gas model is anticipated to earn a 7 percent improvement in fuel economy compared to the current version.
That third link I think is referring to the 2012 Civics, since 2012 Civics are already rated for 39hwy, and the aerodynamic model is rated at 41hwy.
The 2013 Civics will have Direct Injection, and also atkinson cycle behavior for less compression losses when the engine load isn't high, and CVTs instead of torque converter automatics.
I'm expecting 43MPG hwy for the new Civic aerodynamic model (the same as the Chevy Cruze Eco model and close to the Hybrid). Expecting 42MPG hwy for the new regular Civic.
Should be fun. Would be cool if they put a supercapacitor in all their cars and make their electrical system act as a mild hybrid.
Old 02-27-2012
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

I know this is a thread for engines but, what advantages could a CVT tranny have for engine power?
Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
I know this is a thread for engines but, what advantages could a CVT tranny have for engine power?
Well if your comparing manual vs CVT I dunno about fuel efficiency differences but typical automatic vs CVT, the CVT doesn't have the inefficiency of the torque converter that the automatic has, and 'infinite' gears.
Old 02-29-2012
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

Well not particularly the differance between standard and CVT but between 05 auto and these CVT designs. Sorry I didnt specify. I think often we get carried away in here thinking that we all can visually see and read through the text each others expressions or intentions. So specifics are certainly nessesary. I recently test drove a Nissan Murano with the newest CVT technology and was shocked by its unlimited acelleration without gear change. It was interesting to say the least. I found myself thinking that the agreesive gear change that our exhaust give will be killed if this technology becomes widely used and more conventional in use. So many cars and trucks that are not specificly designed to be powerful are in so many ways weak. Anyhow the CVT technology is by no means impressive in my opinion.
I was just curious if the technology was advantagous or not.

Last edited by Balzdpr; 02-29-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: This spelling is terrible sorry
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Double post, sorry. Tryed to delete on my own and couldn't find a way to, checked FAQs too. Could you mods?

Last edited by johndeerebones; 02-29-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Im all for diesel, but it does bring up parts prices a bit.
The bang for the buck is a lot better ratio though. the money for a cam gear to make a few horse power can get two or three times as much on a diesel. I bleed 15-40, been there done that. The biggest drawback to diesel is of course the price of fuel, but weight. A comparable gasoline v8 to diesel v8 (what I was into) is 1:2. The diesel is twice as heavy as a gasser. Works for a truck, but hard to get that perfect weight balance in a car when the engine weighs so much. Another strong point is mountains of torque. Tourqe is what you feel from the take off, not hp. Tourqe gets you going, hp keeps you going. The tourqe curve of a diesel is a plateau, not a sweet spot like a gasser. The sotp feeling of diesel power is an amazing thing that can't be put into words....