7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 Civic GX Random Misfire on all cylinders

Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JanglinJ is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic GX Random Misfire on all cylinders

I have a 2001 Honda Civic GX that is experiencing random misfires on all 4 cylinders when starting cold (temp below 40 degrees). It gets better after the car warms up and then runs fine. I've replace the spark plugs with NGK Iridium ZFR6FIX-11 which is what was originally in the car.
Three of the four coils have hairline cracks in them. I tried wrapping them with electrical tape but didn't fix the misfire on cold mornings. So I removed the electrical tape.
I've taken it to the dealer and there is low compression in Cylinder 4 (around 140 where as the other cylinders are around 120) and they keep claiming that it must be the cause of the misfire. They want to charge me a lot of money to pull the head and diagnose but I think they are trying to rip me off. Could low compression in one cylinder cause misfires on all 4 cylinders? They seem unconcerned about the cracks in the coils and claim they have checked everything that could be causing the misfire so it must be the low compression.
When I first took it to them to adjust the valves they said it was misfiring only on cylinder 3 but after the valve adjustment and the spark plug change it is misfiring on all cylinders when cold.
Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic GX Random Misfire on all cylinders

You need a better mechanic. That engine should have 180-200+ psi compression.
Old 01-12-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, let me backpedal a sec.....
Yes, low compression can be the cause of a misfire.
But your numbers aren't right. At all.
Therefore, I can't believe any of it yet.
Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

JanglinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I pulled out the repair estimate and they are showing 220/220/210/150 for compression. I tested it myself and number 4 was low around 150 and the other were around 200. I didn't pay exact attention to the readings. I just wanted to confirm that number 4 was indeed low. This is the CNG Civic.
Old 01-12-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

^yes 150 is low..
Old 01-12-2012

Yes, the 150 is low.

Next step is to figure out WHY it is low BEFORE pulling the head off.

Cylinder leakdown test is the next step.
Old 08-08-2017
Registered!!

garibaldi209 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys I also have a 2001 civic Gx with 63k miles. My car ran fine on the 50 mile commute to work this morning. At lunch I started the car which was completely cooled off in parking garage. I drove down two floors and the engine light came on and car was running rough. As soon as I parked, the car stalled. I got code p0335 crankshaft position sensor and p0302 cylinder 2 misfire. I cleared the code and drove it around the garage. It was still running rough so I parked again. This time when engine light lit up I got code P0300 Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected, P0301, P0302, P0303 all misfiring. I have read multiple forums about all the possible problems. I need to know where to start first and trouble shooting steps. If anyone has a link or some input for troubleshooting steps that'd be really helpful. I did timing belt, water pump and tdc sensor at 60k. I was having misfire on cylinder one and miscommunication/no signal with tdc sensor before and after the timing belt service. I replaced tdc again and that problem went away. Now I'm having the 4 codes I listed first: p300, p0301, p0302, and p0303. Sorry for long post, just don't want to leave anything out.