7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How remove clip? Lock cylinder-door

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin_646 is an unknown quantity at this point
How remove clip? Lock cylinder-door

Civic Experts,

Has anyone ever taken out the door lock, the cylinder? I bought a used 2003 Civic and the key doesn't work in the drivers side door. I want to remove the lock and re-key it. I found the instructions in the service manual.

The problem I'm having is: I can't remove the clip.
Inside the door, the lock cylinder is held in place with a retainer clip. Instructions say to remove the retainer clip by pulling down on the clip with a hook shaped tool. I went a bought a "hook shaped tool."

The problem is: I can't get the hook under (actually, above) the clip. The clip fits closely against the cylinder. There's no space to get the hook between the clip and the cylinder.

Has anyone else tried this? Do you have any secrets to get remove the retainer clip?

Drawings of door, cylinder and clip:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c2yzmzdj2xj

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 01-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How remove clip? Lock cylinder-door

Bend your own tool? Coat hanger?

I know they are a PITA. Sometimes I find it easier to get the door handle loose so I can get a better angle.
Old 06-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaydukes22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is old, but since I was having trouble and found this article, figured I would add. I had to take the window out to push down on the clips. Actually used a wrench with a bent tip to hold one side down while a flathead screwdriver pushed the other side down. Had to hold the with one hand and used a wire hanger with a bent tip to pull the bottom of the clip out.

Hope that helps, here’s a picture of what you’re trying to pull. Maybe try towards the bends of the clip.
Old 06-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

First tIime I was able to pull it out using a thin metal tent stake pushing down side clips with window up.

Took tons of fiddling before I was able to get enough clearance to hook underneath to pull out the clip.

Second time I had key in lock and I I pushed one side of the clip far down the lock popped out with clip still in handle.

To reinstall just put clip in correctly then push lock cylinder in, so crazy simple.

Oh as FYI I never re-key, I pull the pins so anything can turn the lock... Nobody is going to test your lock with a key, and if they are going to jamb a screwdriver in it anyways, better chance they won’t mess it up without pins.