7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Lowering question

Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Lowering question

long time no see all sorry for my absence ive been busy, and the fact that my computer wont load this site anymore doesnt help

i have another question!! i have the opportunity to buy a set of koni yellow's with tein s tech springs for $400. 5000km on them and theyre already cut! Awesome deal right?

Question is, would it be ideal for me to lower my car? especially since i live in canada. So maybe a quick list of pros and cons would be great! and since i dont know much about suspension mods i know that tein s techs are good, but i have no clue about kon yellows

thanks in advance guys!
Old 01-06-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Lowering question

Your computer won't load the site, have you tried clearing your cache?

Anyway, koni yellows are as good as it gets without stepping up to $1500+ coilovers. Many very serious racers use them and win at national levels in the states, they very rarely ever blow even when slammed to the ground, they have a lifetime warranty but only the original owner is eligable.

Tein s.tech are a good daily driver spring, they don't put you low enough to generally cause scrapping issues and have soft (comfortable) rates. The qualities that make them ideal for a daily however, detract from raw performance, it's a trade off, but you could always sell them and move to a stiffer spring. They also aren't low enough to cause many problems in snow, i've driven on unplowed roads with them in the past and didn't get stuck.
Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

by already cut, do you mean that he cut the springs? if so then I wouldn't put those springs on my car. Koni yellows are good struts and if the tein springs aren't cut then thats a decent deal for $400.

and when you ask if its ideal to lower your car, only you can answer that question. I don't know how the roads are like up in ottawa because i haven't been there in years. tein springs don't lower the car significantly to the point where you'll have to worry about road conditions. when i was on s-techs my car handled better and kept the stock ride quality.
Old 01-06-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

i agree...the springs are great and i would put them on my car but not if they are cut..it changes the spring rate to much and your car will drive like its on a pogo stick..
Old 01-06-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

By cut, he means that the inserts are already in OEM housing. The guy had them on a 01 civic before so it's a direct plug and play.
Old 01-06-2012

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Ahh ok..then yes good deal...hard to tell sometimes..now a days people say cut in the same sentence as springs it makes you wonder...
Old 01-06-2012

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Very true.

And Dark, S-techs are only a 1.5 inch drop? So it's not that bad. You aren't slammed, but you still look and handle good.

Muirsy is living in Toronto and he's lowered for the winter. Ottawa isn't bad for lowered cars, and you're not even driving it in the winter so no worries. Even if you do drive it through next winter, i don't think you'll have a problem.
Old 01-06-2012

Yeah its only 1.5..i plan on putting them on my 8th, with stock suspension for now..however since i am at 45k miles i might save up and do it all at once to avoid doing the springs to turn around in a month or two and do my shocks and struts too. LOL..
Old 01-06-2012

You're looking at Roughly 800 for all the 4 shocks, plus 200 for the springs, PLUS shipping to Canada. So thats over 1000 right there.

You save $600+, also any kind of work you had to do to modify the oem housing.
Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shift-E
Muirsy is living in Toronto and he's lowered for the winter. Ottawa isn't bad for lowered cars, and you're not even driving it in the winter so no worries. Even if you do drive it through next winter, i don't think you'll have a problem.
yup drove with s-techs through winter last year didn't have a problem. even went to Muskoka area where they get a lot more snow then the gta and was fine.
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Muirsy
when i was on s-techs my car handled better and kept the stock ride quality.
R u saying the ride isnt as rough as i think it might be??

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Your computer won't load the site, have you tried clearing your cache?

Anyway, koni yellows are as good as it gets without stepping up to $1500+ coilovers. Many very serious racers use them and win at national levels in the states, they very rarely ever blow even when slammed to the ground, they have a lifetime warranty but only the original owner is eligable.

Tein s.tech are a good daily driver spring, they don't put you low enough to generally cause scrapping issues and have soft (comfortable) rates. The qualities that make them ideal for a daily however, detract from raw performance, it's a trade off, but you could always sell them and move to a stiffer spring. They also aren't low enough to cause many problems in snow, i've driven on unplowed roads with them in the past and didn't get stuck.
it wont load on multiple browsers like when i try to post it cant connect to the website but i can view threads fine. i have cleared the cache many times. And thanks for the info it was really helpful!
Old 01-09-2012

After talking with it a bit, he let the price drop to $320. We're picking them up on Friday. He hasn't advertised them much except the local forums, plus he already told me where he works and a bunch of other stuff so I don't find him being sketchy at all.

My convo with him

Hi there,
no there's nothing wrong, I got them for a low price 360 but need money for a new d17 shortly as mine is knocking badly. They look to be in great shape but i'm not an automotive expert, the guy I bought them off ended up parting out his car after using them only 5k, no leaks or anything on them.
Old 01-09-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

At $320, I'd be asking him to ship them to Vancouver if you guys didn't ****** them up.
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
R u saying the ride isnt as rough as i think it might be??
yea ride isn't rough at all
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

320 is a steal im so happy! i cant wait to put them on this summer. Also getting an exedy stage 1 since my clutch has gone to crap. So excited now lol
Old 01-09-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i have koni yellows and love them. you wont regret it. they are built solid and wont blow.
Old 01-09-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

320 is a steal im so happy! i cant wait to put them on this summer. Also getting an exedy stage 1 since my clutch has gone to crap. So excited now lol
how many miles/km did ur stock clutch last? i am at like 140ish n still on OE
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

get a light weight flywheel as well.. makes the car more responsive and fun to drive
Old 01-09-2012

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
140 miles or km?

Last time i spoke with him i think he said he was like 180ish km? In the summer it was okay to drive with, but he parked the car in the garage for the season and let it sit for a long while, then he took it out for a spin and it felt real bad apparently.
Old 01-10-2012

140 miles or km?

Last time i spoke with him i think he said he was like 180ish km? In the summer it was okay to drive with, but he parked the car in the garage for the season and let it sit for a long while, then he took it out for a spin and it felt real bad apparently.
sorry, i have 140k miles on my oe clutch. still holding him. i dont know how much longer.

180k km is = to about 111k miles.

did his clutch go out or he just wanted to replace it?
Old 01-10-2012

It hasn't gone out, but it's on it's way out from what i understand. When he bought it it was pretty worn. The first thing the mech said about the car was that the clutch would have to be replaced soon, but other then that the car is good. That, and it was his first standard, so he was learning on it too in that condition.

Something tells me that winter here is harder on clutches too. Colder cluth = less grippy on those early mornings. the guy before winter drove it.
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I've noticed a little bit during cold days in winter that the clutch is a little less responsive until everything heats up, but it's easy to compensate for. Sucks that your clutch is worn out already though, means whoever owned it before must have ridden the clutch a lot...my original clutch has almost 260k km on it, and still going strong!
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi

sorry, i have 140k miles on my oe clutch. still holding him. i dont know how much longer.

180k km is = to about 111k miles.
did his clutch go out or he just wanted to replace it?
it's at like 193k km right now and slipping bad! I don't know how well of a driver the last owner was. And Shift-E's right. I took it out about a month ago for a little spin and the clutch is disgustingly bad right now, i need it switched asap. I did wait for the car to warm up fully so dont ask

Originally Posted by Muirsy
get a light weight flywheel as well.. makes the car more responsive and fun to drive
Looking at the exedy lightweight flywheel on dezod, kind of expensive http://www.dezod.com/cat-flywheels2.cfm anywhere i can get it cheaper? lol

It hasn't gone out, but it's on it's way out from what i understand. When he bought it it was pretty worn. The first thing the mech said about the car was that the clutch would have to be replaced soon, but other then that the car is good. That, and it was his first standard, so he was learning on it too in that condition.
Something tells me that winter here is harder on clutches too. Colder cluth = less grippy on those early mornings. the guy before winter drove it.
Yeah, my dad and my mech were both surprised that clutch had lasted me as long as it did. they only gave it a couple months but it wasnt doing too bad after 7
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

i got mine from here, it's a little cheaper and their store is 20 minutes from me

http://www.jrponline.com/webstore/in...wh=00&pn=HF501
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

You gave me a link to their site for an exedy stage 1 organic a couple months back so i made sure to check that site. i went through 12 pages of flywheels i musta missed that one lol. I dont see the weight of that flywheel anywhere though. And im guessing since theyre close to u shipping to ottawa wont be too bad now i gotta save up like a grand for suspension and clutch lol. How much do u think a mech would charge for clutch and flywheel inatall?
Old 01-11-2012
Registered!!

the flywheel is 11lbs... i went to a guy that works out of his garage to do my clutch because I didn't have the tools to do it in my driveway and he charged me 300 plus other parts and fluids. I assume a shop will charge at least 500 to do a clutch.
Old 01-11-2012
Registered!!

would that include flywheel too? also do u kno if jrp ships their products?
Old 01-11-2012
Registered!!

yea i gave him a new tranny, flywheel, and clutch.
Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

well my uncle owns a garage so hopefully he can get me a good deal
Old 01-12-2012

If he puts this on, will he need a camber kit too? if so, are they all the same? what is it for, and how much do they cost?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering question