7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Limp

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011
BigJedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azalleyrats is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Limp

OK, I was driving along like always and all of a sudden my 01 EX just lost power. It would run but would cut out at about 1300 or so RPM's and it had an engine light. I shut it down to call someone for help and then just for the heck of it started it back up and it ran fine. I got home and ran the code and my scanner said TDC sensor. I cleared the code and I had no more problems for like 4 days then all of a sudden it did it again.
I got it home and tried to run a scan again and it wouldn't connect. I began my search and found another ECU with the exact numbers as mine, installed it, and had my guy come out and reset the peramiters and program my key.
The car started right up with no engine light and ran perfect.
Again I had no problems but then about a week or so later IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!! except this time the battery light came on while it was still running OK then went out and the engine light came on. Now my scanner won't connect again and just like before, as it tries it has words at the bottom of the screen that keep flashing from one to another then never connects.
When I start the car now, I can hear the ECU clicking and everytime it does, the dash lights switch from having battery light with no engine light and the gauges all work and it runs good to having engine and no battery and the gauges don't work and the engine limps.
I have an aftermarket alarm that has been on the car for years with no problem and it had an aftermarket stereo that I changed with a different aftermarket stereo right before this started happening.
My first thought would be to immediatly blame the new stereo but I disconnected it and pulled it out with no help, and I'm leary of jumping to that conclusion unless there is a way I can check it. spending $100 to $200 for a computer then another $100 to get it programmed is a little to expensive to trial and error with.
PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks,
Eddie
Old 01-01-2012
BigJedi

azalleyrats is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Limp

So I see there have been 92 people on looking at my post. Take away the 6 times I've looked at it that STILL leaves 86 people.
Does no one have an opinion or idea about this?
Do I need to rip out the aftermarket alarm that has been in there for quite a long time? The aftermarket stereo maybe?
PLEASE someone help!!!
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough
Re: Limp

I got home and ran the code and my scanner said TDC sensor.
Your TDC code should have been your first test. Get a HAYNES or CHILTONS manual and follow the directions.

I took the time and did a search and found the nice Honda Manual that usually cost $150. It is search friendly and takes you step by step for every test you can imagine.

I cleared the code
Why? thinking the problem would go away? Don't just clear codes without doing tests for them.

I got it home and tried to run a scan again and it wouldn't connect.
Did you check the fuse for the ECU? Was your ignition in the right spot? Did you think it might have been your scanner?

I began my search and found another ECU with the exact numbers as mine, installed it, and had my guy come out and reset the peramiters and program my key.
Why did you go this route? because of your scanner not connecting? see above ???

then about a week or so later IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!
Because you never fixed the problem!!

except this time the battery light came on while it was still running OK then went out and the engine light came on.
Possibly altenator
Now my scanner won't connect again and just like before, as it tries it has words at the bottom of the screen that keep flashing from one to another then never connects.
Possibly altenator wasn't charging the battery, it died, scanner won't connect when your battery is dead.

If you get the car running again, hook your scanner up again and see if it works.
When I start the car now, I can hear the ECU clicking and everytime it does, the dash lights switch from having battery light with no engine light and the gauges all work and it runs good to having engine and no battery and the gauges don't work and the engine limps.
This doesn't make any sense, clean it up, and re-post

Word of advice man, just because you see 86 people look at your post doesn't mean they are not helping...a lot of them could be guests or people who don't know how to help and instead of filling the post with 86 IDK, they simply don't say anything....
Old 01-01-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Limp

have you ever solved the TDC problem first and foremost before changing the ECU? ...
and not connecting could be also damaged wiring...