7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ebay keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imdstrbd is an unknown quantity at this point
Ebay keys

Does anyone know if the sidewinder keys you buy off ebay work like they should. Ive had my car almost a year now and been dealing with just one key. I need to get a spare made but I just dont see spending $50 on just the key and another $50 on program. Do the ebay keys work or does anyone know where I can get another one cheaper than the dealership.
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ebay keys

as long as it has an unprogramed chip it should work. im not sure if honda can reprogram the chip without replacing it but id buy an unprogramed uncut one and just take it to them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Key...#ht_2534wt_794
Old 12-17-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

pwnsauce: The key does not learn the car. The car has to learn the key (transponder I.D.). Programming does not change the keys' chip. Programming changes the car.

imdstrbd:
We have seen several ebay keys. Some work ok, some don't.

If you buy your own key off the internet, who is going to cut it and program it? You still have to pay the dealer, unless you have an extremely well equipped locksmith there that will take your money. I don't know of any here locally. If you have a locksmith that is that well equipped, I bet they have the blanks you need, too.

The blank must have the correct type of chip for the immobilizer that the car uses, there are several different types.
The keys all look pretty much the same from the outside.
The only way I can tell them apart is by the part numbers. Once the package is gone, it's anybodys guess.

I can't tell any difference until it comes time to do the programming and it doesn't get accepted by the computer.
Now the customer is out all the money for the key, cutting the key, and the attempt at programming it. Back to square one. What did they save?

A key from the dealership should work right the first time, and they should not charge you for their own mistakes. May cost a few dollars more, but it is usually far less hassle. Especially if your ebay key was wrong.

Last edited by ezone; 12-17-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: I looooove editing.
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
pwnsauce: The key does not learn the car. The car has to learn the key (transponder I.D.). Programming does not change the keys' chip. Programming changes the car.
i guess that would make A LOT more sense lol. good to know.

but according to the seller this key
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Key...#ht_2534wt_794

has the right chip for 7th gen civics. im sure thats cheaper than the dealer would charge for the blank. but yes you still need it cut and programmed. i heard somewhere that walmart now has the machine to cut these?
Old 12-17-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The sidewinder key cutter works much like a tiny router, only for steel.

Yeah, I bet key manufacturers and wholesalers can sell blanks that cheap if you buy in bulk. Most people don't need 100+ keys at a time. LOL. Internet can be wonderful for a small lock shop selling stuff they bought in large quantities.

I looked up a master key for an 04 Civic, Hondas MSRP is $45.83. Majestic wants 31.24, and their markup is only about 10% over dealer cost.
They'll sell the gray valet key blank for $11.89 (retail 17.50)

I have heard Wallyworld can cut and clone keys in some areas. I have not heard any of our customers mention this where I am at. I have never needed to find out for myself.
Wallys didn't have blanks for my house keys when I needed one either, I have to go to a real lock shop for those.
I know we could clone an older immobilizer key to a T-5 blank at the shop, but there is not much call for that these days.

I guess call your local Wallys and ask? No, that would mean someone answering the phone that knows what is going on, and that isn't happening at wallyworld. They will tell you yes (if not a big HUH?), no matter what.
You would actually need to go there to find out.
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imdstrbd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will just get one from the dealer like I planned. I was just wondering if anyone had gotten any luck out of those ebay keys. If a few people said they had them and they worked I would have taken that gamble.
Old 12-18-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would get the OEM gray key that comes as a valet key then have it cut with the specs of your key so it will work in the trunk/back deck seat back lock & trunk release lock.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...4-S9A-A01.html

It has the chip, and is cheaper than the black and silver version.