7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How to change oil filter and stay clean ?

Old 12-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bob1942 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to change oil filter and stay clean ?

I just did another oil change on my honda civic 2003 EX . So far I have not been able to do it without spilling oil all over the place when I take the filter off ? When I took the old oil filter out Oil ran all over me and onto the tools and floor then I have a big mess to clean up and Me to clean up too . Does someone out there know a way to do this and not get oil running all over when you take the filter off ?

THANK YOU guys ! MERRY CHRISTMAS ! EVERYONE ! B0B1942
Old 12-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: How to change oil filter and stay clean ?

somtimes i use telekinesis.
Old 12-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I was pretty determined to find a way to change the filter without covering the subframe, floor and myself with oil, but I've pretty much given up. Now I just wrap a shop towel around the filter right before pulling it off and try to minimize the mess..
Old 12-15-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Drain bucket from Wal-Mart? It gets most of it. A few drops here and there, but nothing major. Oil usually ends up on my exhaust pipe sadly.
Old 12-15-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I just have an oil catch pan under, twist the filter, while applying pressure towards the oil pan
and once I'm on the last thread of the filter, I just yank it out with one swift movement, I never get oil on myself or the floor. Till I have to put back the drain bolt though.
Sure, A little gets on the down pipe but that's about it
Old 12-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wait overnight and do it with the oil cold. very little will come out the filter. keep a drain pan held under just in case.
Old 12-15-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

teach your kids. or a neighborhood kid and have him do it xD
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

+1 on doing it after the car sits overnight.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Uh, drain the oil first and it leaves very little in the filter. I still end up with about a tablespoon on my arm.

When buying a catch pan spend the extra money for a good one with a lid and good spout.
Old 12-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

The one I have has a cheesy spout but no lid. I have a huge container I use because I usually change the oil in 3 different cars. It usually depends on the location of the filter. Mine is in the absolute worst spot. My friend's Accord was cake and there was no mess. The Corolla isn't too bad when the filter wants to budge. I hope the mileage mark hits when school starts back up so I can just change it on the lift again. Haha.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

bob1942 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of GREAT replies, you guys are the best . Looks like it is near impossible to change the oil filter on a 7th Gen Civic without spilling some oil. due to the location of the filter . I am going to get a bigger better oil drain pan per your suggestions AND I plan to remove the drain plug and let the engine oil drip over night I will try this on the next oil change to get as much oil out of the filter as possible . THANKS GUYS ! HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

imdstrbd is an unknown quantity at this point

The rag idea works great. I work in a garage and do the rag trick alot. I also were gloves when Im working. After I change the oil in my turd I always spray down the back of the block and exhaust with brake cleaner and wipe it off. I might have a stock engine but I keep it clean so if it ever develops a leak I know.
Old 12-16-2011
Trance Addict

Nothing wrong with that. I do the same exact thing.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

genghis1 is an unknown quantity at this point

oil deflector for civics, scroll to middle of page:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint06.html

click on picture to see it in use.

Last edited by genghis1; 12-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by genghis1
oil deflector for civics, scroll to middle of page:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint06.html

click on picture to see it in use.
Ha! How long have they had that?
Old 12-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that has to be new. i was just on there looking at that section a week ago.
Old 12-16-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, that's interesting
Old 12-17-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gearbox
wait overnight and do it with the oil cold. very little will come out the filter. keep a drain pan held under just in case.
now see this is interesting, as a friend of mine swears by doing the oil change right after being driven to get as much of the the sediments out as possible.

In regards to the thread, I would loosen the filter as much as possible without removing it, and then yank it quickly as Kenny said. Also draining the pan removes most of the oil beforehand.
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

n8marsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lollygagger
now see this is interesting, as a friend of mine swears by doing the oil change right after being driven to get as much of the the sediments out as possible.

In regards to the thread, I would loosen the filter as much as possible without removing it, and then yank it quickly as Kenny said. Also draining the pan removes most of the oil beforehand.
Definitely want some heat in the oil before draining. Flows better, more contaminants suspended in the oil.

Wanhhh I got some oil down the back of my engine.... crack the filter loose so it drains slowly, when its done draining yank it off. Wipe it down when you're done. (where have i heard that before...)
Old 12-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

What I like to do, is engine warm, and leave it draining overnight, to catch most of everything, then fill in the morning
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

I did see a guy one time take a screw driver and punch a hole in the back side of the filter near the bottom. Worked out good for him.
Old 12-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by imdstrbd
I did see a guy one time take a screw driver and punch a hole in the back side of the filter near the bottom. Worked out good for him.
I'd see that causing more of a mess than anything
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I'd see that causing more of a mess than anything
Not really. Thats what I was expecting to see but the screw driver plugged the hole until he had the drain pan in place. Yeah it takes up some time making an oil change take longer than expected but if your not in a rush and can let it sit there for a while.....
Old 12-18-2011
Trance Addict

I've heard of a lot of people doing that, but don't you run the risk of damaging the seating surface or the threads? Unless the Incredible Hulk screwed on the filter, I see no reason to use a screwdriver. I do occasionally use some sandpaper though when I buy a filter with a less than grippy surface.
Old 12-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by imdstrbd
Not really. Thats what I was expecting to see but the screw driver plugged the hole until he had the drain pan in place. Yeah it takes up some time making an oil change take longer than expected but if your not in a rush and can let it sit there for a while.....
Hmm, if I don't let it drain overnight, I can typically have the oil change done within 15 mins, with nothing more than a few drips of oil on my forearm
A pair of nitro gloves helps too...

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I don't see why a 5 minute process should be dragged into a 30 minute process.
If you're going to work on your car, you expect to get dirty.
Old 12-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by MelJ
I've heard of a lot of people doing that, but don't you run the risk of damaging the seating surface or the threads? Unless the Incredible Hulk screwed on the filter, I see no reason to use a screwdriver. I do occasionally use some sandpaper though when I buy a filter with a less than grippy surface.
I think OP meant using the screwdriver to stick a hole to let out the contents of the filter, rather than using the hole as a prying leverage
Old 12-18-2011
Trance Addict

I think the OP was in regards to keeping the floor clean. It takes me about 10 minutes on a lift. Probably shouldn't but I torque my drain bolt, replace the washer, and clean everything up. At home probably 15 or 20 just due to the fact I have a small garage and lying on my back in that damn thing is a task itself. But any car work I expect to get messy. Hell. I changed a bulb and ended up covered in dirt. Lol.
Old 12-18-2011
Trance Addict

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I think OP meant using the screwdriver to stick a hole to let out the contents of the filter, rather than using the hole as a prying leverage
Yeah. That makes more sense than what I was thinking.
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

03civicexR is an unknown quantity at this point

after working at jiffylube, sears, and now a lubetech at chrysler ive learned to just bite the bullet and wear junk clothes. gota figure its only oil, and as long as its not scorching hot it wont hurt for long, and it will wash right off. i usually drive the car and warm it up then let the car sit for a hour then change the oil. has been working for me for 3 years and with 76k my oil is still nice and gold just my $.02
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

I usually just put on my gloves and get it done. The guy was wondering about a way to do it without getting oil on himself. If you are gonna try to stay clean doing an oil change than its gonna take awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change oil filter and stay clean ?