7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Hybrid to Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCVorndran is an unknown quantity at this point
Hybrid to Gas?

So I own a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and I was beginning to realize that stuff is about to fall apart in the engine and the IMA Battery as well. So I was wondering is it possible to take the IMA battery out and mount a regular engine into a Hybrid body?
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hybrid to Gas?

i would think so. but you would need kpro or aem ems plus a tranny and the engine and most of the parts, intake, the exhaust is different probly. my guess is it would be cheaper to just sell what u got and get an ex or whatever, and if you go through all that trouble get a k20 or k24

btw you might wanna check the laws first. i know you cant put an engine in a car older than the engine because of emmisions. my guess is you couldnt LEGALLY do it because u would be dropping in a less efficient engine. but not sure about that
Old 12-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its not worth it. the amount of time it will take to gut the car of everything hybrid related will take days. then you need everything from the doner car including the full engine and trans, all the sensors, full exhaust, new ecu with reflashed keys, climate control console, and many different wire harness (no, the hybrid harness in many cases will not fit the regular engine sensors. and many will not even exist). basically you are looking at a complete teardown and gutting of everything in the car thats related to engine and electrical. then trying to rebuild everything from scratch. with the amount of money and labor for parts, you are looking at $10k easy, if not more. your best option is to either fix and keep the hybrid, or sell it and get something else. if its just the battery, you can get it rebuilt here for around $1200.

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, it'll take a couple days to tear down and at least 3 times as long to put back together with the right harnesses, etc. I'm guessing you'll need to swap everything electrical from the dash to the front bumper. I'm betting that the brakes, power steering, A/C compressor maybe even the whole A/C-heater assembly are the same tho.

That being said, a parts cars shouldn't run ya more than $1500 or so. That will get ya 75-90% of the parts you need. Right now on my local craigslist there are three 7th gen parts cars $850-1500 and about 8 engines $250-450 (7 VTEC and 1 non-VTEC). They're wrecking them like crazy around here.

btw: That's not mentioning the 100 or so on carpart.com.
Old 12-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and yer car still burns gas, hybrid or not :P (jus' kidding)