7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Exhaust Y-Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Exhaust Y-Pipe Question

Okay, so I know my car will get called a rice burner for this, but whatever. So the stupid previous owner fabricated a dual exhaust system, but I bought the car without a rear bumper. So I ordered a rear bodykit bumper with dual exhaust as a replacement. Got the bumper and the mufflers were too close together, and the cutouts on the bumper were too far out. I decided to scrap the fart cans and fab up my own axle-back dual exhaust system.

After the axle I put on a Y-pipe and from there the right went straight out. The left had to take 2 90 degree bends to exit on the left side. My Dad told me when he was driving behind me that about 1/3 of the exhaust escapes from the left, and 2/3 from the right. Could this be because the left has the 2 90 degree turns and more back pressure as the right one doesnt?

EDIT: None of the bends are mandrel

Last edited by SlimRisk; 11-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Exhaust Y-Pipe Question

Old 11-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lowlife9

Seriously though, yes, less exhaust is exiting because it's stalling in the pipe due to insufficient back pressure. It's a tiny engine man, dual exhausts really stretch it's ability to move the gases.
Old 11-22-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i have a dual exhaust on my R1 and its an even smaller engine than the D17. lol

also, pixs or it didnt happen. lets see this exhaust.
Old 11-22-2011
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Ill upload pics tomorrow. Cars at the mech getting the wheel studs replaced because i couldnt get the dang hub out.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

lol@ dual exhasut on a 1.7L

id like to see this too, but yea if you want it to exit 50-50 you have to mirror the bends in each pipe going to the muffler. meaning your whole catback needs modified so it is right in the middle at the axle then y pipe and 2 90 degree bends from there for each side
Old 11-23-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Okay i think im gonna scrap the dual exhaust. Thinkin of molding some fiberglass over the left cutout and letting all the exhaust run through the right one. I have an ait rev style bumper. No pics until friday afternoon because of thanksgiving, and working a ton. So how do you think it would look?
Old 12-01-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Alright heres a couple pics of my bumper. what do you think I should do?

Name:  rearbumper.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  rearbumperpipes.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  42.1 KB

How do you guys like my altezzas and custom paint job? :]
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

fitst off paint that bumper before you do anything lol. nice tails tho

have you ever thought about mounting a muffler in the other spot...but not hooked up to your exhaust? that way it doesnt look tacky

if you dont wanna do that id say about your only other option is to take it to a muffler shop and have them fab you a full custom dual exhaust
Old 12-01-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Saving up the money o pay for the paint job. Its a custom paint not a stock honda color so its more expensive. But i think im just gonna keep the exhaust the way it is and suck it up
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I would probably just leave it as duals as well, to be honest.

Not worth the money to change over to something else.