7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

My Mech says my TPS is toast, what should I do now?

Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
My Mech says my TPS is toast, what should I do now?

Yesterday i was adjust the throttle cable and taking out some slack. I was doing some experimenting and noticed even on the highest setting, I wouldnt notice any increase in my RPMs. My RPMs would always remain the same whether i had the cable on its tightest or loosest setting. So I was told that it sounds like my TPS isnt reading the voltage right and have it checked out.

So today my mech took a Volt multi meter to the red and green cables on the TPS. He removed the airbox to get to the Throttle body. He connected his Volt MM to the red and green cables on the TPS, checked it at idle...was 0.59V, then i put the pedal to the floor for WOT and only got 0.79V. This is with the car off. I asked if my key needs to be in the inition with the ignition on but car off and he said no it wouldnt make any difference. I thought odd.

So he says i need a new TPS.

Some questions

I hear you cant buy the TPS sensor alone (at least not OEM) but have to get the throttle body since the TPS sensor comes on it already calibrated i guess. Is this true? if I buy a OEM TB the TPS will already be calibrated so i just install it and thats it?

Would you trust getting an aftermarket TPS?

I really dont wanna have to spend $300 on a OEM throttle body if i dont have to. But which would you do? Buy OEM Throttle body with TPS already on it and already calibrated or an aftermarket TPS and the extra labour to install it and calibrate it.

Did my mech even test it properly?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough
Re: My Mech says my TPS is toast, what should I do now?

WHAT!!!! you dont have a tire pressure system

Whoever told you, you cant buy one alone is a idiot. You can replace it. I did this job not to long ago for my friend and the instructions on how to calibrate it where included. Iam not sure if you car will be the same but the one I did had one of those screws that the head brake off when set to factory spec pressure. You just need to get a way to take that off and put the new one. But not sure if your up for that.
Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
WHAT!!!! you dont have a tire pressure system

Whoever told you, you cant buy one alone is a idiot. You can replace it. I did this job not to long ago for my friend and the instructions on how to calibrate it where included. Iam not sure if you car will be the same but the one I did had one of those screws that the head brake off when set to factory spec pressure. You just need to get a way to take that off and put the new one. But not sure if your up for that.
Well first off, do you think my mechanic tested the TPS correctly? with the ignition off that is. I want to know 100% forsure that my TPS is toast before i go replacing anything.

Second, can you tell me where your friend got his TPS? Im on ebay right now and theres a few aftermarket TPS. Is it ok to go aftermarket for something like TPS?

Third on ebay im also noticing new and used throttle bodys for not bad prices, they come with the OEM TPS already on. Would you chacne it on a used TB/TPS? I called Honda and they said the OEM new ones are already calibrated in the factory and you would just bolt straight on. is that true?

And lastly, if i just replace the TPS my mech would be doing it. Bascially from what ive read, he takes the current TB off, has to drill or cut off the screws to the TPS so theyre flat...pull off the sensor and replace with new screws? What size screws are they anyhow?

I looked at my TB and it sounds the same....the TPS has special screws on them where they seem molded on.

Who knows maybe the TPS on now is fine but just needs to be recalibrated?!
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

RamAirDave is an unknown quantity at this point

MIght check here :
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2008533
Also a quick google search shows them from $31??
Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by RamAirDave
MIght check here :
Do you think my mech tested my current TPS properly? Before i go buying replacements i need to find this out forsure.

Id be super pissed if i went through all of this only to find out that my current TPS is fine but just needs to be recalibrated.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Well I am not sure how or what wires he tested but engine off is fine. 0.5v for it at "idle" is fine but not your 0.7v for thottle down.

I am not going to say that a aftermarket sensor is fine cuz i have never tested them. Its been about four months that we did my friends car and he is still going. He had a hell of a gas smell and once installed it went away. So his works.

He got his from the local autozone. Recived the tps, gasket, and metric screws.

We took the trottle body off the car with was no big deal, to take the original screws out which we though was welded we had to use a bit of brute force to brake off the tps. Since its plastic its easy to do then with a plier unscrew the metal screw.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RamAirDave
MIght check here :
did not see any for the d series there. But yea google or your local autozone or advance which you can return it if you brake it trying to put it in.
Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Well I am not sure how or what wires he tested but engine off is fine. 0.5v for it at "idle" is fine but not your 0.7v for thottle down.

I am not going to say that a aftermarket sensor is fine cuz i have never tested them. Its been about four months that we did my friends car and he is still going. He had a hell of a gas smell and once installed it went away. So his works.

He got his from the local autozone. Recived the tps, gasket, and metric screws.

We took the trottle body off the car with was no big deal, to take the original screws out which we though was welded we had to use a bit of brute force to brake off the tps. Since its plastic its easy to do then with a plier unscrew the metal screw.
I guess something as critical as a TPS, im not sure if i wanna go aftermarket. Might be better off just sticking with OEM and maybe buying a used OEM Throttle body with a TPS already on it? How safe is it buying used throttle bodies?

My mech basically hooked up his Volt meter to the red and green wires on my cars TPS at the same time and checked with car off on idle and with my foot to the pedal to the floor.

You know im reading those DIYs on calibrating the TPS and it sounds like you can calibrate the idle voltage but not the WOT voltage, am i right?

Worse comes to worst i have to take it to my other mech because hes a honda certified mechanic but he also charges an arm and a leg labour. ****

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

K i just called my cert. honda mech up and he said that once a TPS is installed and calibrated, it should never lose those settings ever. So he said either my TPS lost its settings (which means its gone bad) or it was never calibrated properly when installed.

He said he can try recalibrating it so that the WOT is at 4.5V and if he cant get it to that then its bad.

The thing is i dont remember if this TPS is stock or not, im pretty sure it is cause im certain the throttle body is still stock OEM.

So i guess i have no choice but to get him to do it. Well here goes another $50. Its either this or i just order a used OEM throttle body and get my other mech to do it..

Thoughts? Should i even bother paying to try to have it recaibrated? Im not sure if its even worth it.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Get a salvage TB off of eBay, CL, or here: http://www.car-part.com/ Then drill out the rivets on both TB's and install the "new" TPS with bolts. Then, if it's still acting weird try to have it re-calibrated.
Old 11-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

get a $50 ebay tb with all the sensors and throw it on, if thats the problem. i have a feeling your car wouldnt even be driving with that voltage reading. is the engine light even on, or is this another pretend problem.
Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by gearbox
get a $50 ebay tb with all the sensors and throw it on, if thats the problem. i have a feeling your car wouldnt even be driving with that voltage reading. is the engine light even on, or is this another pretend problem.
Well unless my mech didnt test it properly but ill probably try to get a used oem TB with a TPS already on.

My engine light isnt on.

So its safe to buy a used TB? Dont have to worry about anything mechnically wrong with it? Probably cause its just a metal cup with an opening door. The TPS is probably the more important thing and how much milage on it?
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Unless Hondas are different he didn't test it right. In every vehicle I have tested it made a huge difference wether the key way on or not. That said, look at lazlong's post, rivets. That is why it is said to replace the TB. You may be able to get a sensor and that is fine. Just set it right when it is on. I might go with GB on this one though. With those numbers the ECM wouldn't barely even increase fuel etc at all. Test it again....
Old 11-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the tps is an electronic switch so ofcourse it needs to be tested with the car on lol. that being said, tps problems (going out of calibration, which will almost never happen on a stock tb) will immediately trigger the engine light. i've had my tps voltage go out of range and as soon as it did, the engine light came on and the car was barely able to limp home. the auto trans didnt know what to do and was either stuck in gear or unable to shift at the right rpms. felt like the whole car fell apart. def something you would notice right away.
Old 11-22-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by gearbox
the tps is an electronic switch so ofcourse it needs to be tested with the car on lol. that being said, tps problems (going out of calibration, which will almost never happen on a stock tb) will immediately trigger the engine light. i've had my tps voltage go out of range and as soon as it did, the engine light came on and the car was barely able to limp home. the auto trans didnt know what to do and was either stuck in gear or unable to shift at the right rpms. felt like the whole car fell apart. def something you would notice right away.
Thats a good point GB, ill have it retested....but from the sounds of it, the TPS is probably fine. And thats what i thought, i was almost certain the key had to be in the ignition for the test!

Stuff like this is where a honda certified mechanic comes handy over a reg one.
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Engine off is fine but have to be on the second on position. For electric to flow on the second reading. Which don't need to pay no one to retest this.
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Ya, didn't specify. Being a mechanic I take that stuff for granted. It does have to have the key on ENGINE OFF. Like he said, run position, but not started.
Old 11-24-2011
Registered!!

Was cleaning my desk today and here is the instructions that can with the tps that we bought.

Name:  IMAG0365.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  181.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0366.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  136.0 KB