7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

rattling noise diagnostic !!

Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point
rattling noise diagnostic !!

This noise is driving me crazy and i can't figure out what that is. I only hear it at low rpm and low gears (first and second). So when i put in the first gear and as soon as i remove my foot off the clutch and the car starts moving, i hear this loud rattling noise ( much louder than a bearing rattling, sounds like a tractor or something ), when the rpm goes over 2500 or so the noise kind of disappear. Not sure if this noise completely disappear or the engine noise that is louder at higher rpms is overpowering it. Now, when i shift in to second gear, the same noise popup at low rpm and it kind disappear at high rpms. the noise at second is lower than first though. Third, fourth and fifth gears seem ok, and the car shifts fine at all gears. Anybody experienced a similar noise before ? any ideas what that noise is ?
Old 11-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: rattling noise diagnostic !!

Is it an EX/Canadian Si?
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's an 05 EX coupe, not the canadian Si
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough

i have the same issue, and i drive a 2004 VP. i just assumed that it had to do with some bearings in the clutch and it would go away when i swap the clutch.
Old 11-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Check your heat shields. They tend to rust out and rattle real bad. There's one on the exhaust manifold and here's the rest:

Name:  exhaustpipeblow-up-1.png
Views: 4696
Size:  122.5 KB
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i took all mine out. solved tons of rattles and never had any problem. leave the two small ones (7, 8) around the cat because it needs those to work properly. just dont park on tall dry grass because you have a higher risk of the car catching fire without the shields on. our exhausts do not get hot enough to require functional heat shields under normal driving conditions. they are purely a safety measure.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

are # 26 and 27 hard to get off? that sounds exactly like where mine is rattling.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You'll have to remove the exhaust to get to it and that's a pain. You'll probably end up having to cut the bolts off. Get up under there before you warm it up and wiggle all the shields to figure out which one(s) it is.
Old 01-15-2012
Registered!!

inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lazlong
You'll have to remove the exhaust to get to it and that's a pain. You'll probably end up having to cut the bolts off. Get up under there before you warm it up and wiggle all the shields to figure out which one(s) it is.
why do you think i'll have to cut bolts?
i bought the car with full aftermarket exhaust and cat. someone else on this site said that those sheilds are probably gone. im not sure if they are or not. i'll give it a look soon...