7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What kinda Diff you got ;)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
What kinda Diff you got ;)

What kind of Differentials are located on are cars? Open, 2.0, 1.5, LSD, welded? Im curious if this would or could create significant performance limitations or advantages. Comments please.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: What kinda Diff you got ;)

When I had my trans apart I had it in my hands. Mine is an open, wouldn't think Honda corprate would have spent more coin to put anything else in something that wasn't an si or something. I have an 01 ex with a BMXA auto
Old 11-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

LSD on the higher end Si (SiR canadian).
it could make you go straight depending on road grip conditions, though, instead of turning.
Old 11-19-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i <3 welded LSD
Old 11-21-2011
A scene before your eyes

So am I to assume they are depending on the sub model of the car? I had assumed that Si would quite possibly have a more aggressive diff even as far as the compatition LSD. Lower sub model lower performance in diff?
Old 11-21-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I had a Quaife (QDF15U) LSD on mine for a few years. They're made for the 07+ Honda Fit, but they work on our cars using the Fit ring gear bolts. I sold it to the mechanic doing my third tranny rebuild, to cover the cost of the labor. Seemed like a fair trade at the time. Haha.
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

So i guess mine is open. If it is Im going to have it welded I think. As of now I still have the stock motor with typical Mods. So I dont think I need LSD. My understanding is LSD is the cheapest way to replacate a simular performance to LSD think so?
Old 12-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

welded - it will keep all wheels rotating at same speed at all times. even in corners.
add to that ours are FWD, well, massive understeer. LSD already plays havoc in certain conditions. If you plan only on going straight and forget about turning, yes, please do
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Hmm I better read that article again.
Old 12-02-2011
A scene before your eyes

Ok, I tried finding the article on Super Street .com so everyone could read it. But I guess its not there yet as the article comes clean out of the newest edition. I reject my previous comment and correct myself with this one. LSD would be certainly the best. Both clutch type LSD and Gear type LSD are functionaly superior to all others, however, one is better than the other in respects to the operators budget and ability.
"Clutch-type LSD's and gear-type LSD's do have some general operational differances. If a drive tire in a gear-type LSD loses grip by jumping the car, putting a tire off the track or on a curb/rumble strip, the unitwill unlock and act like an open diff. A clutch-type will remain active or locked as long as torque is being applied to the clutch packs. Gear diffs require less maintaince, are quiter and tend to last longer than clutch uits but clutch types are fully rebuildable where gear types are not"
The cost of this type is emensy more than the others, but like many things in this relm it's going to be because its higher quality and light weight.
But money wise and the conditions that I would-------> drive the car I now believe a 2-way type is best for me. These types are fully locked in accel and decell like in high speed road racing and drifting(niether of which I do). yet easy to maintain and slightly less expensive.
However, as of now I would roll out with a built 1.5 type and get all the cookies on Santas plate. "As it is suitable for daily driving all the way up to track use".
Old 12-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

the best expense is still a driving lesson instead of mddying stuff ye don't need...
Old 12-04-2011
A scene before your eyes

Ha, you got some. But you got a point. We can all use a driving lesson when it all comes down to it.
Old 12-05-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

it's just that if ye need a new differential, the expense could be justified. if not, keep current one. it wont make much difference, or in case of LSD, they could make you slip more than normal in cornering - they recommend these for RWD, not for FWD DD's.
Old 12-05-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
it's just that if ye need a new differential, the expense could be justified. if not, keep current one. it wont make much difference, or in case of LSD, they could make you slip more than normal in cornering - they recommend these for RWD, not for FWD DD's.
Totally agree. Unless you track, it's not worth it. Trust me. Unless you are going to open your tranny and install it yourself or if you already need tranny work done by a shop. It's costly. Quaife LSD is $1000. J's makes one too (even more $). There are some off-brand LSDs on the market, but you really don't want to skimp ('Cause if it breaks, you're cracking open the tranny again). Installation will basically be the same cost as a rebuild. I had the Quaife for a few years, and yes it was nice. It felt like I had less torque steer to contend with. On the street, the only time you will really notice it is when you are jumping on the accelerator and turning onto street from a complete stop. That's it. Is that worth $2000 to you. If you tracked your car, different story.
Old 12-06-2011
A scene before your eyes

Hmmm.. I see your points and I find them acceptable, however, I have always intended to make this car (in the end) a track car and would like to get into the FF Battle arena. In the end when all is done and I have worked this current engine into a wild frenzy of a gutter **** I will swap her for something with greater potential. So your information is not taken lightly but sincerly as always. Thanks.