7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hondabond Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about
Hondabond Question

I am swapping a 04 manual trans over to a 03 motor. My question is how much honda bond do i need to seal it up properly?
Old 11-15-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Hondabond Question

A liberal amount, enough to coat the mating surface. Don't go overboard though, haha. A little too much is better than too little. An even 1/16" should do it.
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by maxtierney
A liberal amount, enough to coat the mating surface. Don't go overboard though, haha. A little too much is better than too little. An even 1/16" should do it.
Thanks. I know that much but how many tubes on hondabond ht will i need to seal trans and clutch to motor? Stuffs like 18$ for a 3.5oz tube in rochester!!
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

get a few tubes, then return what you dont need.
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
get a few tubes, then return what you don't need.
Fair enough. I might get 3 because I noticed my 04 has a steal pan and the 03 I'm swapping has a aluminum. Is this right?
Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

djarmyssg is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know if u've already used it... But Ive have a bunch of trouble with HondaBond... If your using full senthetic Oil, The molocules are smaller than Dino Oil and will seep past HondaBond. This is due to the fact that it takes a couple days for HondaBond to actually Cure. It might be solid on the outside (the lil bit that squeezes out) but will still be wet inbetween the pan and the engine. I resealed my oil pan 3 times with Hondabond before I ran out and had to use Permatex!! One shot with the Black Permatex and she hasnt leaked since!.. Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by djarmyssg
Dont know if u've already used it... But Ive have a bunch of trouble with HondaBond... If your using full senthetic Oil, The molocules are smaller than Dino Oil and will seep past HondaBond. This is due to the fact that it takes a couple days for HondaBond to actually Cure. It might be solid on the outside (the lil bit that squeezes out) but will still be wet inbetween the pan and the engine. I resealed my oil pan 3 times with Hondabond before I ran out and had to use Permatex!! One shot with the Black Permatex and she hasnt leaked since!.. Just my 2 cents!
I bought 2 tubes for 42$ here in town and like you said nothing but trouble! I used 5-20 mobil 1 and this new motor started to leak right in the same spot my last did. Under the main seal by the crank. The oil pan not the seal. Pulled it today and rvt'd it!!! Hondabond HT is good, dont get me wrong!! But seing the first tube blew out the bottom on me, and the other almost did the same and leaked after a 15 minute set and 24hr bond, i'm not sold. Full synthetic oil is what is supposed to go in these motors I thought? For 21$ a tube, it's not worth it!! I used permetex red and havent had a problem with the trans or valve cover in 400 miles (about 2 weeks on new motor). I still believe a D17 motor is the way to go!!! My 04 7th gen is the last new civic I buy. On my 3rd and the 7th gen is the only one I blew up!!

Stick to what has always worked and things will be ok in my opinion!! Swear I have a 92 accord in my garage, and after sitting for 6 years it freaking fired right up!!! Thats another story!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civydcex
Thanks. I know that much but how many tubes on hondabond ht will i need to seal trans and clutch to motor? Stuffs like 18$ for a 3.5oz tube in rochester!!

'Scuze me??? NEVER seal the bellhousing to the engine block! EVER!

I bet it's too late to save this one.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
danilo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What!! 3 tubes!? Honda bond is (made by) Threebond 1104 and is sold as Suzukibond, Yamabond, Ducatibond, Kawabond etc etc. Threebond 1211 ( a different pricier formulation) is an even better product than the Honda bond type.
MY tube of threebond has been in regular use for 2 years.. a couple of motors at least 3 transmissions later AND it's only half gone. It Ain't toothpaste. A VERY small amount is actually necessary. Apply a thin film with your fingertip..apply less than if you were using paint. More is just a screwup.
I have NO comprehension of the nonsense about Synth oils and leakages.
Thats' just laughable. You simply screwed up the install/assembly.. period.
There's no blaming the sealant for it.