7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

check your tire pressures!

Old 11-12-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
check your tire pressures!

winter is here in most places so dont forget your psi will drop due to the cold weather. mine went from 35 to 31 psi since last week. gonna air them up tonight in a bit. just picked up an a/c portable air pump from home depot (husky brand) so im hoping it works out. looks pretty well made. the foot pump i had before broke and i cant find another one with the same quality. theyre all china junk and wouldnt even work out of the box.
Old 11-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: check your tire pressures!

Good thread Gear!

Any time there's a drastic drop in temperature checking the tire pressure is absolutely essential, I aired mine up today.
Old 11-12-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

My 5 dollar compressor from Harbor Freight is still going strong. Lol. Great thread. Many people don't realize your tire will lose pressure no matter what over time. I would like to add, please check pressure when the tire is cold. I think you can drive about a mile or so before the tire pressure changes from the heat.
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Filled mine up the other day, my fronts were around 18 psi
Old 11-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i dropped my target pressure to 32, tires are sliding much more with lower temps... gimme some heat! is what they say me
Old 11-13-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah eventually i will drop mine down, but hey we are coming back up to 60s and 50s next few weeks lol. kinda late for that weather but i like it. i always wondered why heated tires were never invented. with all the cars driving with em, it would melt all the snow. and give better traction on dry road in the cold. they have heated seats, heated mirrors, heated cupholders, even heated headlamps and tail lamps (for leds, to keep the frost off). but no heated tires? doesnt even seem that hard. they could lay a heating matrix on the inside of the tire, then run wiring to the rim and hub. or even just do heated rims, that way any old tire will work.
Old 11-13-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Went up to 36psi a couple weeks ago while winterizing my car. Took about 200 pumps with a bicycle pump for all 4 tires
Old 11-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Went up to 36psi a couple weeks ago while winterizing my car. Took about 200 pumps with a bicycle pump for all 4 tires
lol why not just go to the gas station and use their compressor?
Old 11-13-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

compressors ftw
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah they started putting in updated air pumps around here you just set the psi you want and it does the rest they even have a flat tire mode that sprays in fix-A-flat. and nitrogen FTW.
Old 11-13-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yeah they started putting in updated air pumps around here you just set the psi you want and it does the rest they even have a flat tire mode that sprays in fix-A-flat. and nitrogen FTW.
You must live in one of them rich places :P
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
You must live in one of them rich places :P
lol i wish
Old 11-13-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Great thread. I dropped my front pressure down to 32psi for the winter from 35psi for summer gas mileage. Rears go down from 42psi to 38psi. I always check/inflate my tires when I gas up.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

i would think that heated tires would actually give less traction in the winter...because instead of snow on the tire it would just be water with snow underneath...could be wrong but props for thinking outside the box tho lol
Old 11-14-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Heating the tires is more a function of getting it to proper operating temperature, pliable with optimized grip rather than melting the snow beneath it. It takes longer to get tire temps up to optimum in the winter, if at all. That's why I bump my pressures down when it's cold, for my relatively short commutes. Lower pressure generates heat and allows for more traction. I want to have the most traction possible when I get on the road, not 10 or 15 minutes later, after I get to my parking lot at work.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Mine read 35 and tires looked too low. Raised it to 39 psi (max is 44 psi). Been driving like this for two days and seems fine to me. Temps around 50-60F in the morning/nights.
Old 11-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

naturally, if you on snow tires, that does not apply - they are made to work below freezing.
summer/UHP are not made to work in temps too low, so you need to have them warmed a bit to get the rubber to grip. (warning! i am not saying to underinflate - anything have a working range) - need to say, who knows who is reading this...

Last edited by maxtierney; 11-14-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2011
EM2ti

My bad, I edited instead of quoting.

Nice, I like the disclaimer. Haha. Good advice.
Old 11-15-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
Mine read 35 and tires looked too low. Raised it to 39 psi (max is 44 psi). Been driving like this for two days and seems fine to me. Temps around 50-60F in the morning/nights.
its ok if ur tire looks a little flat when they are standing still.

when the car moves, it'll balance out. running 39psi is pretty high. ur car should be pretty rough.
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member

i could never really see the difference just by looking. and i never get tired of people telling me "your tires are low" and i reply "no theyre not" lol.
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member

does anyone use the pure nitrogen in their tires? does it really not lose pressure as fast as part nitrogen (regular air)?
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
does anyone use the pure nitrogen in their tires? does it really not lose pressure as fast as part nitrogen (regular air)?
I always get my tires from Costco, and they only nitrogen-fill. I've never had to fill up or remove air from them due to temperature. Plus they check and refill them (with nitrogen) when I go in for my free tire rotations.
Old 11-15-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tweel-airless-tire2.htm

You can always just buy the tweel airless tire and call it good.
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member

pretty ugly but i would run them just for the cool factor and they prolly weigh next to nothing. i almost never use freeways anymore.
Old 11-15-2011
A scene before your eyes

Yea they are high tech. They actually weigh more than a normal tire and are loud as hell when moving down the road. But they are virtually indistructable.
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member

okay cancel my order haha
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

If I'm not mistaken the stock setup requires 30psi, why am I seeing mention such high numbers in this thread?
Old 11-16-2011
A scene before your eyes

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
Yea they are high tech. They actually weigh more than a normal tire and are loud as hell when moving down the road. But they are virtually indistructable.
yea, a few years back I saw the guy who worked with some investors on this tire he showed off the tires capabilities and that guy shot those tires with a 45 pistola' and they were running like a 17 year old after punani. Never saw anything like it before. Last I heard they where working on a way to quite the construction and operation of the rolling noise they emit. If any of you cats out there are running any of those European models you might know that the run flats available to you are based on this design.
Old 11-16-2011
Premium Member

if you can get away with it depending on how good the ride is, 35psi will get you some more gas mileage and increase tire wear. i would not go much above that. 32psi is prolly the ideal for best ride. i would not keep mine at exactly 30 because they can easily fall a few psi and be underinflated if you are not checking every week. i check every month and usually find 1-2psi needs to be added. when it started getting coloder, i lost 4-5psi per tire. i would always rather be few lbs over rather than under.
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

2 of my tires seem to lose about 2-3psi per week, so its something I check on an almost daily basis or when they visually look bad. Snow tires are waiting to be installed so its not a big deal in the meantime.

I try to keep inflation close to spec because this is not a heavy car. Adding too much air noticeably impacts my grip during wet pavement driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check your tire pressures!