7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

When to Tune-up; Low mileage, 10 years '02 EX

Old 11-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tietack is an unknown quantity at this point
When to Tune-up; Low mileage, 10 years '02 EX

Folks,

First post in this forum. I feel fortunate that our '02 EX has performed well for us. Maintenance requirements have been minor and standard, battery after 5 years, tires after 6 years, front springs after 7 years, timing belt at 8.

Part of it is low mileage; since starting to work from home several years ago, we've driven this maybe 2-3k mi/yr.

I realize that the manual suggests a tune-up at 100k miles. But at our current rate, I'll get to 100k miles about the year 2025. Seems that would be too long to wait.

Right now we're at 61k miles, and I'd appreciate suggestions on whether I can wait another few years, or should proceed to finding someone to do the tuneup soon.
Old 11-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When to Tune-up; Low mileage, 10 years '02 EX

it should be 10 yrs or 100k miles. parts and belts do get old just by sitting too. i would at least get the timing belt service done.
Old 11-06-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

He just said the timing belt was done when it was 8 years old... so he still has a lot of time before it needs replacing again. (i.e. he did it a year ago).

I'd say the only thing you need to address are the rubber parts, like radiator hoses, belts, and the like. You don't even have to worry about the oil changes. The B.S. about "3 months or 3000 miles" is a marketing ploy.

I have almost 320k miles on my car and I have followed the manual to the "T". Change the oil every 10,000 miles, and the oil AND filter every 20,000 miles. The time between changes does not matter. Oil is not affected very much by time. It has about a 5 year shelf life.

I get my oil tested frequently at Blackstone Labs and even at 10,000 miles, the oil still has another 2000-3000 miles of "life" left in it. Further proof you don't need to change every 3000 miles.

The other thing I'd watch out for is TIRES. Tires age and start to dry-rot. Signs of this are cracking on the sidewall of the tire. If you start to see this I would suggest replacing them, despite what the mileage may be. This will generally start to occur in 5-8 years. There is a "manufactured" date on the side of the tire, like "3308".. that means the tire was made in the 33rd week of 2008. I bought some tires from tire rack two weeks ago that had this "3308" on it and I was DISPLEASED because they sold me "new" tires that are already 3+ years old. See why this date matters?

hope this helps a little.
Old 11-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

true the oil has a "shelf life" of many years, but that changes after the first time you put it in an engine. youre doing oil analysis tho so no problems. the tire thing always bothered me because i usually have to replace tires due to age (i dont keep them longer than 6 yrs). so i try to get the ones that wear out faster lol.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

RamAirDave is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just watch the tires and belts/hoses and enjoy. I would say you replaced the timing belt about 6 years to early lol.