7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Swap, Boost, N/A, or Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Swap, Boost, N/A, or Nitrous?

The past month ive been debating between all 4 of these. The only thing holding be back is cash, experience, and tools.

Boost
Pros: power there 24/7, can piece together my own kit for cheap
Cons: a little too much $$ for aftermarket rods & pistons (to make enough horsepower to make the turbo worth it)

Swap
Pros: gobs of power, lower engine and tranny miles
Cons: super expensive, lots of parts needed, also dont have engine hoist or mount and never installed or removed an engine or tranny

Nitrous
Pros: power when i need it, already have a bottle (prolly needs to be restamped)
Cons: dont know anyone who fills nitrous near me (checked registered dealers from nos and nx and they dont sell n2o anymore), $8 per pound about

N/a
Pros: gx pistons are cheap
Cons: once you go n/a turning around and going boost is a waste of money

Conclusion: nitrous will be cheaper for me since i already own a 10 lb bottle, but its old and im thinkin i probably need to get it restamped. Wisconsin area anybody got any suggestions?

Cost: im 17 in highschool, i work a minimum wage job at a local retail store. Checks are about $300 every 2 weeks and $40 is taken out for my car payment so im left with $260 every 2 weeks or $520 every month
Old 10-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Swap, Boost, N/A, or Nitrous?

I don't see a none of the above option, but that's where my vote goes.

Any of the above options is going to cost you six months pay, minimum, not worth it. There's nothing wrong with sticking with a nice I/H/E set up with a decent suspension, especially when you're still in high school.
Old 10-27-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I don't see a none of the above option, but that's where my vote goes.
Yeah I gotta agree. Take your money and put it in a savings account. It's an awesome feeling being able to pay for stuff (food, girlfriends, etc) and not having to worry if the money is there.
Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

Xiao is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with MB & Zeferint. Trust me..The D17 isn't really good with mods, so just save it and use it on things. You'll thank us in the long run..these guys helped me out big time. I ended up using the money I was originally going to spend on a bike!
Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

FrozenMyst is an unknown quantity at this point

Slim, I'm in the same boat you are. High school student, minimum wage job bringing about $650/ mo. Then having to turn around and pay $130 for insurance and payment. And another $40 or so in gas...

With that being said, I'd probably agree with the other members' replies. I can't justify blowing loads of money on a Civic. I've just got the basic mods on mine, such as a CAI, aftermarket wheels, and a lot of I.C.E. upgrades. but other than that my EM2 is all stock. And really... I don't think there is anything wrong with having a car that way.

I focus much more on looks and sound than I do on actual race performance. It's my daily driver, you know what I'm saying? I might as well save up for my dream car (Corvette ZO6 or Nismo 370z... haven't decided yet, too far away lol) and just use my spare cash in high school to pay for other stuff like food and girlfriends, etc.

I'd have to agree with the others and say don't spend too much unnecessary cash on your car.

Just my $.02.

Hope I could help.
Old 10-27-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

You're in High School... Don't use up you're money because at the end of the day it's not worth it. Save your money, focus on school, get a full time job in the future and do car stuff with any extra cash you have.

Make your car your hobby, not your life. You can change hobbies, you only have 1 life.
Old 10-27-2011
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Yeah thanks for the advice guys. My friend just bought a turbo car and its got me feelin a little jealous lol. But ill save my money up. Possibly for a 6th gen down the road and a k or b swap. Always loved those tuners in the late 90s... Thanks again guys. Ill stick to this y8 mani swap

Last edited by SlimRisk; 10-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

What'd your friend buy?
Old 10-28-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

definetly save for school then a 2000 si or something...our baby engines arent for performance.

i will be doing an ex head swap maybe a stage 1 cam (if i got the extra $$) and a full exhaust then suspension upgrades...but thats it. any extra cash i got after that is going towards school and maybe a 6th gen si or hatch i can boost or tear the engine apart for an n/a build if i got the extra money. i figure why take your whole engine apart to do all these mods if you have to other car in the mean time?...then when your done you have a nice car to take to the track but would you really want to make it a dd?

also just my .02
Old 10-29-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
What'd your friend buy?
2001 audi a6 2.7 liter biturbo
Old 10-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
2001 audi a6 2.7 liter biturbo
he'll have fun maintaining that..

my friend has the same car, replacing the timing belt cost $4k.
Old 10-30-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Yeah he bought it used and it came with a 90 day warranty if anything was faulty. Needed windshield washer resovior fixed and cam sensor replaced. Then timing belt or chain slipped at the shop and they needed to replace the engine because valves and pistons shouldnt get that close lol. But they replaced his timing belt and tensioner for $360.