7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Im not gonna lie, I get jealous when Im at the Honda dealerships and see the new cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: Im not gonna lie, I get jealous when Im at the Honda dealerships and see the new

Originally Posted by MelJ
I've driven a newer Si. I personally dig the exterior. The interior was horrible. I felt like I was on the Starship Enterprise. I hated the gauges and all the damn plastic. The clutch was fairly new, so it bit pretty hard. Either way, the car felt way too heavy and didn't feel as "raw" as my Civic did in terms of driving. With my car, it just feels like it's the bare necessities. I'm sure this isn't really the case in actuality, but for some reason simple design is more appealing to me.
What makes 8th gens that much heavier? I guess im just bored with my car ha, but i just bought itin sept 2010 so o way i can get rid of it, my fsmily would kill me if they found out i bought new car considering how much i wasted on my current one.

Plus the thing is i just have to much invest in my current civic, if i get a new one i would have to redo all those mods - tint, stereo, deck, amp, sub, hids, alarm, remote starter meh...now you know why i cant upgrade ha.

Nissan 370z roadster, now this is a car id die for. Very expensive though.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-02-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough
Re: Im not gonna lie, I get jealous when Im at the Honda dealerships and see the new

I love my 7th gen. I bought it new almost 7 years ago now and even after 4 years of beating on it delivering pizza's it still drives like its new, not once has it left me stranded. Best of all it's paid off! Still like the simplicity of the 7th gens, it's like the last of the old style Civics.

Some people get sick of their cars, I get attached, like it's part of the family, I'm sure other car folks know what I'm talkin about.

It's also fun now that things are needing replaced. If I bought another new car I wouldn't have to do much for years, what's the fun in that?

Personally I don't mind the 8th gen's (SI's are sweeet) but the 9th gen's are down right ugly.
Old 11-02-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Haha. I guess it's a love hate relationship.
Old 11-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

370z is a very nice car, much better than the 350z, but it's not even a car that can realistically be driven by most Canadians 4-5 months a year. RWD, a relatively short wheel base, lots of power.. in the snow it's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-02-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Off of Memory, 350z's have one of the highest crashes that lead to deaths rates in north america. In the top 10 i believe.

EDIT: Not because the car isn't safe, but because of the type of people that usually drive them lol
http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/26/car..._0726cars.html
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

^funny cause i saw a white 350z tailgating the crap out of a jeep (who was already doing well over 120km/h) on the 417 today lol looked like an accident waiting to happen
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Yeah if you get a 350z most likely you're gonna drive it like a race car.

I had a friend who took a turn too fast, lost control, went off the road and rolled his, he escaped with minor injuries. The roof caved in very badly, he was lucky the way it rolled because he ended up laying across the passenger seat during the roll. If he had rolled the other way he would've been smashed against the driver side window and the roof would've come down on his head. He couldn't get out so he had to lay there until someone saw him and called 911 so he could get cut out.

He had the car for like 3 months lol. Wasn't wearing a seat belt, which actually prob saved his life the way the roof came down.
Old 11-02-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by anibis
I love my 7th gen. I bought it new almost 7 years ago now and even after 4 years of beating on it delivering pizza's it still drives like its new, not once has it left me stranded. Best of all it's paid off! Still like the simplicity of the 7th gens, it's like the last of the old style Civics.

Some people get sick of their cars, I get attached, like it's part of the family, I'm sure other car folks know what I'm talkin about.

It's also fun now that things are needing replaced. If I bought another new car I wouldn't have to do much for years, what's the fun in that?

Personally I don't mind the 8th gen's (SI's are sweeet) but the 9th gen's are down right ugly.

I still think our cars are nice, just generic and way too common. I see way too many around, theres four 7th gen coupes just on my block alone! Its funny when im somewhere and literally drive by or near another 7th gen just different colour.

Originally Posted by MindBomber
370z is a very nice car, much better than the 350z, but it's not even a car that can realistically be driven by most Canadians 4-5 months a year. RWD, a relatively short wheel base, lots of power.. in the snow it's an accident waiting to happen.
oh so it cant be driven all year round? that would be a deal breaker to me.

And is it just me or does the 06 civics look funny with a a wierd shape to them?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-02-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

^imo, i find that the 8th gen civics have a funny shape to them especially the coupes. short front and rear end, looks like a turtle shell. but i REALLY like the front end design, looks so sleek and aggressive looking.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

is it just me or does it seem like a lot of 7th gen owners are pizza guys lol...oh well its good easy money
Old 11-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah around here too, at least 2 7thgens with pizza signs. in the last state there were a few also. usually sedans too... and always 01-05 civics.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Most pizza guys drive Honda's in general. Toyota's too. Years ago when I first started delivering 6th gen's were very common, they've just moved on to 7th gen's now, you can get a used LX for pretty cheap these days. I just feel bad for those with auto trannies because I know they're doomed.

It was good money until the economy went in the crapper, that's when I called it quits. I never put one of those stupid toppers on my car either =P.
Old 11-03-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

so long as you change the fluid out more often, trans should be okay. as much as it can be aside from the defects lol.
Old 11-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
oh so it cant be driven all year round? that would be a deal breaker to me.

And is it just me or does the 06 civics look funny with a a wierd shape to them?
It could be driven year round, it's just difficult in our climates. Good winter tires and a manual trans would be an absolute necessity, along with a very good driver behind the wheel. On snow or ice, fwd or awd is the way to go.

8th gens civics are weird looking to me, 9th gen civics step it up to another level of weirdness in my opinion. Not attractive at all.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

I still think our cars are nice, just generic and way too common. I see way too many around, theres four 7th gen coupes just on my block alone! Its funny when im somewhere and literally drive by or near another 7th gen just different colour.
Really? All I see these days are 8th gen's. I see some 7th gen's but they're all sedans. Don't see many 2 door EX's like mine at all. It's probably the part of town I live in, even the 16 year old kids get a brand new car just to wreck 2 months later...
Old 11-03-2011
Premium Member

yeah 7thgens are pretty rare around here too.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

where i deliver at theres tons of 7th gens...a few 8th gens (almost all si coupes) and a couple 6th and 5th gens. but all the 7th gens look completely stock with some 75 year old lady driving it going 10 under the speed limit lol.

one day last week on my way to work there was a 7th gen in front (driving super slow) then a 6th gen hatch then my 7th then an 8th gen si behind me
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

random will become famous soon enoughrandom will become famous soon enough

What makes 8th gens that much heavier? I guess im just bored with my car ha, but i just bought itin sept 2010 so o way i can get rid of it, my fsmily would kill me if they found out i bought new car considering how much i wasted on my current one.

Plus the thing is i just have to much invest in my current civic, if i get a new one i would have to redo all those mods - tint, stereo, deck, amp, sub, hids, alarm, remote starter meh...now you know why i cant upgrade ha.

Nissan 370z roadster, now this is a car id die for. Very expensive though.
Ignore what your family thinks; you've already stated a lot of them pay cash for a new car every few years. Who's wasting money now?

It does sound like money is a challenge for you, and maybe that's why you bought a used Civic and put mods into instead of getting a 370Z. Now think of it this way, if you had the money to afford a 370Z, would you end up modding that car too?

Do you really want the (new) car or the mods? Right now, it seems like having both isn't realistic.

In the end, I think you simply need to weigh your priorities against what makes you happy.
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by raigen18
^imo, i find that the 8th gen civics have a funny shape to them especially the coupes. short front and rear end, looks like a turtle shell. but i REALLY like the front end design, looks so sleek and aggressive looking.
In general, I think short overhangs are good from a technical perspective. Aesthetically, it all depends on how it's done. I'd agree with your turtle shell analogy. Compared to the 7th gen coupes, the 8th gen ones are more feminine looking in that they have fewer sharp angles and smoother, curvier edges.
Old 11-05-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Here's what I think now that you've posted that. You have a car you wanna buy, OP? Save up and work towards it. Priorities(job, family, etc.) come first. Put some cash away when you can. Then when you have saved up enough, start searching for that car. I had wanted an EM1 since my junior year of high school. I worked full time for a few years and just kept putting money away. At the time, I was working on going back to college, but I had saved up a ton of money for emergencies and a "spoil myself" fund. Then just out of the blue, I found an EM1 in pretty damn good condition. My car isn't the best of the best, but I never regret driving it as I see it as a testament to my determination. Kinda cheesy, but that's my outlook.
Old 11-06-2011
I am Epic

Well you wanna know a big reason why i cant sell my car now? And probably wont ever. Ill most likely be stuck with this car for the rest of my life. Even if i get a new one this one would be in my backyard sitting.

Cause its a salvaged Car. Before i bought the car i ran a carfax and it never showed up as a salvaged, but after i bought it i re ran the carfax and then i saw it, i know wtf eh? Even though when i had the car inspected before buying it did pass inspection. I had the cars frame checked inside out by many shops and all say its mint and cant tell any previous damage. In fact most have complimented on how mint it is ha.

So ya thats why i have to prety much drive this thing till it dies or close to it. Im thinking at least 5yrs.

Trust me if i could i would go take out $15,000 cash advance on my credit card right now for a new car but my mom would literally kick me out of the house. Shes already pissed as is from having put in about $6,000 on the card from the past 12 months on car stuff.

Even when i do buy a new car wtf i cant do anything with this one now, itll be a huge amount of money sitting in my backyard.

Another downfall is, if i buy a new car all those mods (aside from the deck and stereo) i spent on my car now....all the money is lost. I would then also have to pay it all over again to do on the new car.

Grr im in such a bad situation its not even funny what ive gotten myself into. I so wish i could go back time cause i wouldnt have spent this much on my car now,

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-06-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

mods - tint, stereo, deck, amp, sub, hids, alarm, remote starter meh...
they are not even remotely called mods... HID's fall in that category, though.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Trust me if i could i would go take out $15,000 cash advance on my credit card right now for a new car but my mom would literally kick me out of the house. Shes already pissed as is from having put in about $6,000 on the card from the past 12 months on car stuff.
Not trying to be judgmental here ... I think you need to get your finances under control. Take a look at the facts:
  • You actually considered taking a $15,000 cash advance on your credit card. That's a bad sign already.
  • You spent $6,000 in the past year on your car. That's more than enough to completely buy a used car, or a pretty significant down payment on a brand new one.
  • Your mom is still involved in your finances, otherwise she wouldn't kick you out of her house based on what you spend your money on.
The things I don't know, and won't speculate on, but you should be taking into consideration:
  • Monthly income -- allowance? Or do you work?
  • Monthly rent? Free with mom? Or pay your mom?
  • Other monthly costs (Tuition? Electricity? Water? Cable? Cell phone?)
  • Credit card debt? Owe anything? Making monthly minimum payments? Or always pay it all off?
There's a whole lot of common sense here ... get your finances in order before spending on big ticket items such as a car.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
mods - tint, stereo, deck, amp, sub, hids, alarm, remote starter meh...
they are not even remotely called mods... HID's fall in that category, though.
Why so picky? Why would HIDs be considered a modification, but an aftermarket car audio system is not? These are all items that are either additions to the car, or replacing something existing on a car. That by definition is a modification.
Old 11-06-2011
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

E®ik will become famous soon enoughE®ik will become famous soon enough

^Awesome advise right there!
Old 11-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ true that, but not really a big enough mod, truth be told, to spend 6G... or to think it was a large stuff. sorry, almost most of my changes are actually mechanical improvements, except fer the halo headlights (which i came to realize are not... improvements, later on).
Old 11-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by random
Not trying to be judgmental here ... I think you need to get your finances under control. Take a look at the facts:
  • You actually considered taking a $15,000 cash advance on your credit card. That's a bad sign already.
  • You spent $6,000 in the past year on your car. That's more than enough to completely buy a used car, or a pretty significant down payment on a brand new one.
  • Your mom is still involved in your finances, otherwise she wouldn't kick you out of her house based on what you spend your money on.
The things I don't know, and won't speculate on, but you should be taking into consideration:
  • Monthly income -- allowance? Or do you work?
  • Monthly rent? Free with mom? Or pay your mom?
  • Other monthly costs (Tuition? Electricity? Water? Cable? Cell phone?)
  • Credit card debt? Owe anything? Making monthly minimum payments? Or always pay it all off?
There's a whole lot of common sense here ... get your finances in order before spending on big ticket items such as a car.

Excellent advice. To add, putting car modifications on a credit card isn't a good practice to be in unless it's for convenience, and you'll be paying the charges off shortly thereafter. I would never pay for a completely unnecessary indulgence like aftermarket wheels or speakers with credit, if you get into that practice quickly you'll rack up your credit card to a level of debt that's difficult to recover from without a drastic increase in income. That rule applies to any indulgence, whether it be on clothes, vacations, eating out or anything else you can reasonably do without.

For every hundred dollars I've wasted on my depreciating investment (my em2), I've invested thousands. That's how you build a solid financial future for yourself where you can comfortably afford new and higher end cars, financing cars and parts at 20% will leave you broke and miserable for eternity.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
one day last week on my way to work there was a 7th gen in front (driving super slow) then a 6th gen hatch then my 7th then an 8th gen si behind me
Don't see many coupes but, plenty of sedans. A lot of times I'll be sitting at a light and all I see are tailgates and Civics.
Old 11-06-2011
Premium Member

great advice. as you get older, you will start to see that cars are a very small part of life. their main goal is to get you places you need to go (work, store, etc) and they lose value every day. you can put money into it for things that will make you enjoy driving more, but to blow all your money on a piece of metal on wheels isnt smart in the long run. ofcourse this all relates to how much money you make in the first place.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point

@ Civicnoobie - You have some very wise people here who have given you excellent advice, please take them seriously.
I just have a few things to say to you.
I am not sure how rich your relatives are but I know that some of my cousins sold their civic to get a subaru 4 wheel drive just coz they got scared of driving in Pittsburgh during winter. If snow was such an issue then Civic would not be the best selling car in Canada. A set of snow tires should have sufficed for them. On the other hand I know people who drive civics with the check engine lights on, for months. So you have to decide who you want to be, a person who sells a car fearing the snow and taking another loan or a person who ignores the car and spends not a dime on it.
As far as your being ashamed on seeing new civics in the showroom, I would concur with what others have already said. Just do me a favor and drive one of those 8,9 or 10th gen civics. The steering is so small and funny and the ride quality is nothing special. Also the 7th gens have a higher mileage than the later generations.
To be very honest with you, I often go to the showroom to get some parts/servicing done and I am not ashamed at all. In fact when they look at the mileage gauge during servicing, they always mention that the car is in excellent mechanical condition for the miles it has. I have driven my car all around NE US and gotten 39mpg for the last two years. With the price of gas going up every day, I would not sell this car until it dies. Drive your car, explore new places don't crib about it.
As far as your desperation with being stuck with this car, if you are really so concerned, just take out the rims, music system and sell it on this forum, get the money back and put the stock parts back on. You invested the money, now live with it. Life is all about accepting the mistakes you make and learning from them. Time to grow up.

Quick Reply: Im not gonna lie, I get jealous when Im at the Honda dealerships and see the new cars