7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loud Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt Bachand is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud Idle

I'm new to this car about 2 weeks in, and I love it. Completely stock for now.

It just had a head gasket done before I assumed ownership and it runs great and strong.

However:

It idles rather loudly. No knock or anything, but just alot louder than I would think. Not as loud as my diesel truck, (thank god) but alot louder than my old Hyundai 4 banger would idle.

Its engine noise, not accessory driven noise.

I assume this is normal?? I'd like some others inputs.

I'm about to switch it up to 0w20 mobil-1 synthetic oil for the cold New England winter.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Loud Idle

Idles loudly is a bit subjective, but it shouldn't be excessive. A video would help us gauge whether the sound at idle is normal, a leak in the intake or exhaust would increase the volume.
Old 10-15-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Loud Idle

Idle loud > Idle rough. You mentioned that the head gasket was replaced recently. Could be a few things. Going along with Mindbomber, the intake and exhaust manifolds had to be pulled. Could be a leak caused by a bad/cracked/reused manifold gasket or mis-alignment of the resonator or doughnut at the cat, etc. Was a valve job performed? Sometimes the noise from valve lash is louder initially, then quiets down after miles are put on. Or you may need a valve adjustment now. Pop the hood and try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Is the loudness only in the morning / upon initial start up? Or is it constantly loud, like at a stoplight?

Last edited by maxtierney; 10-15-2011 at 01:00 AM.