7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My beautiful EM2... Rear-Ended!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DH757 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy My beautiful EM2... Rear-Ended!!

On October 7th at about 8:30am after having dropped my brother off at his High School. A girl that claimed to have been "distracted" rear ended my EM2! She was going 35 - 40MPH, her insurance has accepted 100% liability.

I arose from the crash with minimal back pain, got x rays done and doc says it's all good no real damage there. Thank god!

Now all I'm worrying about is my car! I did buy my car salvage for $6400 original asking price was $7200. However, it was fixed professionally and nothing was wrong prior.

I have pictures of the rear before and after the accident which I'll post up.

I was able to take my car out of the Tow Yard and had it sent to the best Honda Dealership in town. Now I'm wondering, is my car going to get totaled!?

Tomorrow the adjuster will inspect it at the collision repair center.

Before:
Name:  217780_1470373538160_1798280879_888791_4439543_n.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  18.6 KB

After:
Name:  100711085516.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  134.4 KB

The trunk was warped inward, the tail lights are broken/missing, side gash and the rear window is cracked to thousands of pieces.

I am very upset about this...

Someone help with some advice, thanks...
Old 10-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: My beautiful EM2... Rear-Ended!!

That looks like a write off... hopefully I'm wrong

Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Most likely it'll be totaled, especially if there is any damage to the frame.

If you wanted to be a real dick, sue the chick a year or so down the road over your back pains for causing long term discomfort.
Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

that definitely looks totaled.
Old 10-12-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Ouch! Hopefully, it looks worse than it is. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2011
D 1 & only Derryth

derryth is an unknown quantity at this point

ita all up to u
the dealer will always be the most expensive place
and well as long as frame is goos and the outline to the windows is good than u can fix it
but i sujjest just go get another one, and use that one as parts
lots of people dont take car of there interiors
-so u could swao interiors, rims and all that, engine if need be
Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

jeez that's quite a bit of damage. What type of vehicle was the lady driving? I bet it was an SUV or minivan....
Old 10-13-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a total in my honest opinion
A hit like that would most likely do some chassis damage

Sorry man, she was too busy looking at me :3
Old 10-13-2011
Registered!!

Damn making me want to turn on the water works here...

It was a college girl about 19 or 20 years old. Me, I'm a 19 year old as of now.

Yeah, she was driving an SUV that's why it's a lot of damage.

Thing is I don't have the money right now for another EM2...
If the car gets totaled I probably won't get enough for another car. So I'm hoping they'll fix it and restore it, I don't mind not selling it, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off!

I only work weekends as a student and go to school full time, I can't afford another car on my current salary. That EM2 was my first car, and it only did get up to 90,000 miles before the accident.

If the car gets totaled I'll probably have to take out a $5500 student loan, use the money I get back from the insurance company, add it up, buy another Civic, then work my behind off to pay it off before the monthly payments will be due. Thing is with a loan I wouldn't receive the money until January.

Unless anyone here has a better idea?

Argh! I'm so mad! I'm going to miss VTEC...

"The death of a car is like the death of a member in the family"

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-13-2011
Registered!!

Received the call from the Honda Dealership, they told me the adjuster went out to see the damage last night. The repair estimate will be available today shortly, so I should be getting a call back about its destiny.

Waiting anxiously...
Old 10-13-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would they call you before they had the results?

It's like you're at the doctor checking for cancer, and he calls you to tell you the tests are done, but the results are not in, so he'll tell you later... >.<
Old 10-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

more than likely at least $6k in repairs, i dont think they will fix it. but with the check you should be able to find another similar used civic.
Old 10-13-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

good thing you're ok. Probably totaled
Old 10-13-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DH757
Damn making me want to turn on the water works here...

It was a college girl about 19 or 20 years old. Me, I'm a 19 year old as of now.

Yeah, she was driving an SUV that's why it's a lot of damage.

Thing is I don't have the money right now for another EM2...
If the car gets totaled I probably won't get enough for another car. So I'm hoping they'll fix it and restore it, I don't mind not selling it, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off!

I only work weekends as a student and go to school full time, I can't afford another car on my current salary. That EM2 was my first car, and it only did get up to 90,000 miles before the accident.

If the car gets totaled I'll probably have to take out a $5500 student loan, use the money I get back from the insurance company, add it up, buy another Civic, then work my behind off to pay it off before the monthly payments will be due. Thing is with a loan I wouldn't receive the money until January.

Unless anyone here has a better idea?

Argh! I'm so mad! I'm going to miss VTEC...

"The death of a car is like the death of a member in the family"

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.
I don't know why but SUV and minivan drivers are especially agressive drivers. 80% of the time I have someone tailgating like crazy, it is either an SUV or minivan.
Old 10-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nah theyre not aggressive, they just have too much going on in there to worry about driving. the phone in their ear, trying to fix their face up in the mirror, adjusting radio, etc. they cant be troubled by looking at the road very often.
Old 10-13-2011
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
nah theyre not aggressive, they just have too much going on in there to worry about driving. the phone in their ear, trying to fix their face up in the mirror, adjusting radio, etc. they cant be troubled by looking at the road very often.
BAH! So true... they should at least have the decency to put their phones on speaker and hold it below the window line. I always felt like SUV/Minivans/Trucks tailgate more often because they can easily see over the top of our low profile civics and know when we're going to be breaking, but I don't doubt that some drivers are just ******...

Anyway, I don't see why, if the girls' insurance has accepted full responsibility, that you wouldn't be able to get another. Won't you be getting the full amount of your retired EM2? A comparable civic would probably go for about 5-7k, which is what you should get (in a perfect world, i guess). I would even use that money as a down payment on something cooler, but I'm working and not a student.
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

I'm not sure about full amount considering it was already salvage.
Yeah I was thinking about the down payment as well.

Well the repair shop nor the insurance company has called in since Wednesday, I'm guessing if they were to total it they would've already contacted me.

An estimate shouldn't take that long right? I've read it can be about 30 minutes to an hour inspection.

The insurance adjuster might have problems locating similar EM2's in my area, so the list price is higher, works to my advantage. You don't see much 04's or 05's on the street here, especially not like the one I had.
Drives price up despite being salvage, a salvage here similar to mine I read was selling for $7900. Clean title for about $10,000.
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

$8K-10K for a salvage?! Mine was 6 years old and I paid $2500. Around here a non-salvage 2005 with 88K miles is about $5500. Cars are super expensive where you're at, try to get one from another area.
Old 10-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read this... i've been inactive for a while but I almost hope for your sake its a writeoff and you can buy a non salvage.
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lazlong
$8K-10K for a salvage?! Mine was 6 years old and I paid $2500. Around here a non-salvage 2005 with 88K miles is about $5500. Cars are super expensive where you're at, try to get one from another area.
That is wayyyy too much for salvage. $2500 seems about right.

Clean title with less than 100k miles here is about $8k asking, and $6.5k actual price.
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

The word is in guys, my car is deemed a TOTAL LOSS with close to $13,000 worth of damage including labor.

Considered condition by the inspector was "Fair". He said my car was very well kept in and out including its liquids. I received the invoice from the inspection.

After browsing KBB, Fair Value is about $7400 for my car according to them.

& yes car's are expensive in my area.

Well I guess it's time for a new car, thinking of getting a Mazda RX-8 perhaps.
Please don't diss me on my choice of car lol, because I love Civics, I loved mine till the end. I had a lot of plans for it that never became a reality unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

Seby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura about

sorry to hear that bud, but on the bright side, if you get the car back, you can part it out and make some money on top of what the guys from the insurance gave you. But you need to ask them how much to "buy" your car back. Probably not more than 1000. I know I'd buy the whole front end (bumper, hood, headlights, and fenders) if in good shape and cheap
Old 10-16-2011
Registered!!

random will become famous soon enoughrandom will become famous soon enough

Please don't diss me on my choice of car lol, because I love Civics, I loved mine till the end. I had a lot of plans for it that never became a reality unfortunately.
Nothing wrong with an RX-8, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. It's a vastly different car than the Civic: less room in the rear seats, fuel efficiency is much worse, needs to have more frequent oil changes, has a much sportier drive, etc.

Were you planning on getting a new one? If so, get them while you can; it's the last model year before it goes on hiatus with an unknown time frame for a future resurrection.
Old 10-16-2011
:3

Crescent is on a distinguished road

The word is in guys, my car is deemed a TOTAL LOSS with close to $13,000 worth of damage including labor.

Considered condition by the inspector was "Fair". He said my car was very well kept in and out including its liquids. I received the invoice from the inspection.

After browsing KBB, Fair Value is about $7400 for my car according to them.

& yes car's are expensive in my area.

sorry to hear man :S sad news.

im not dissing, but i really wouldn't recommend an RX-8, the rotary engine is very very hard on gas PLUS they are not reliable, and no one will service them :S on top of that ive not seen an RX-8 go over 150k-200k KM these engines are just a pain, but if you know how to manage/repair one then perhaps you should get one, else i'd stay away from that :P
Old 10-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Don't get an RX8, go on a forum and read the reviews.

Not only are the engines extremely prone to flooding, but they aren't exceptionally reliable in other areas, they get absolutely horrible fuel mileage and aren't exceptionally fast compared to other comparably priced cars because they're very heavy. If your going to get something sportier and don't mind sacrificing space I would make it an s2k.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-19-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2011
Registered!!

Midnight Run is an unknown quantity at this point

damn sorry for your loss..
Old 10-17-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Crescent
sorry to hear man :S sad news.

im not dissing, but i really wouldn't recommend an RX-8, the rotary engine is very very hard on gas PLUS they are not reliable, and no one will service them :S on top of that ive not seen an RX-8 go over 150k-200k KM these engines are just a pain, but if you know how to manage/repair one then perhaps you should get one, else i'd stay away from that :P
Mazda engines are that bad eh? Didnt know that, thought they last as long as a honda vtec engine.
Old 10-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Mazda engines are that bad eh? Didnt know that, thought they last as long as a honda vtec engine.
Here's the thing.

Rotary engines are a brilliant concept, they have a fraction of the moving parts of a traditional cylinder engine and operate very efficiently. The problem is that it's impossible for a single manufacturer to develop an the engine to the point where it will be reliable, much less through a single model of car. Rotary engines, whether they be in an RX-8 or an early gen, rarely or never last beyond 100k.
Old 10-19-2011
:3

Crescent is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Here's the thing.

Rotary engines are a brilliant concept, they have a fraction of the moving parts of a traditional cylinder engine and operate very efficiently. The problem is that it's impossible for a single manufacturer to develop an the engine to the point where it will be reliable, much less through a single model of car. Rotary engines, whether they be in an RX-8 or an early gen, rarely or never last beyond 100k.
that ^^

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
dont get me wrong, i didn't say mazda engines are bad, but the rotary is not reliable for a daily driven car. Although its a wonderfull piece of engineering, the engine itself needs alot of refining

Last edited by Crescent; 10-19-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ I don't think they would have them up for sale to the public if it wasn't intended to be driven daily. I've read Mazda has come a long way with their rotary engine but I might be wrong. The biggest issue I see with it is that it's a whole different animal to work on.

Quick Reply: My beautiful EM2... Rear-Ended!!