7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Hi, am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grandnexus is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, am I getting ripped off?

So I got an estimate today for new tires along with a timing belt and such, here is all the information you need to know:

https://i.imgur.com/XoR7Y.jpg

Am I getting ripped off? Can't I just buy tires and put them on one by one myself? Then go somewhere and get an alignment?

Also, how hard is it to replace the timing belt and water hose? I don't know much about cars, but thanks to a guide on this forum my roomate and I managed to replace the window regulator and motor (came as one unit) on the drivers side door.
Old 09-29-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi, am I getting ripped off?

Timing belt isnt terribly hard, just rather intrusive, and we have a few great DIY guides.. But, if you are having someone do the work for you, that sounds about right.. Maybe a tad on the high end..

I recently bought tires, and that alone ran me $600, and a dealership quoted me $650 for a timig belt job.. I did the timing belt myself and saved hella money.
Old 09-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

$300 to change 2 radiator hoses is outrageous. It literally takes 20 minutes, $11.99 for the upper hose and $14.99 for the lower at Oriley.

I also love how they say our cooling system needs 3 gallons of anti freeze, more like 1.1.

The timing belt install is about right, I'd call the dealer and ask them for a quote, if it's about the same you should have them do it.

Or you could do it yourself. I just did mine for the first time a couple weeks ago and it wasn't all that bad, just a tight working area. The DIY's are great. It would be about $120 in parts w/out tensioner, $170 w/tensioner. That's if you go with Honda parts.

I used Dayco parts and spent $120 for timing belt/tensioner/water pump/accessory belts.

You could always get the tires off Tirerack and save a bit of money. Research them too, bad tires are annoying!
Old 09-29-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

yea. u pretty much for F-ed in the ***.
Old 09-29-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

Definitely do the timing belt and water pump yourself. Like others have said, it's not very difficult and there's tons of DIY guides to help you. Just take things slow, remember the order you remove parts, and get your T.D.C marks lined up.

The hardest part I found was getting the stupid crank pulley bolt off. The rest really is just removing and reinstalling parts. I also made a very stupid mistake of not plugging in two of the four coil packs! Let's just say, I almost shat myself when I started the car

Last edited by raigen18; 09-29-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011
Registered!!

grandnexus is an unknown quantity at this point

Any good goto books or DIY's on replacing a timing belt and water pump? Seems very complicated, especially for someone who knows next to nothing about cars.
Old 09-29-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by grandnexus
So I got an estimate today for new tires along with a timing belt and such, here is all the information you need to know:

https://i.imgur.com/XoR7Y.jpg

Am I getting ripped off? Can't I just buy tires and put them on one by one myself? Then go somewhere and get an alignment
That is actually a pretty good price for tires I would just go with them. If you want to shop around try Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. I just bought tires from Discount Tire Direct and they were around 300 shipped but then I had to pay to put them on. If you have a tire machine and balancer then you can do it yourself!!
Old 09-30-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Did you really get charged $300 for coolant, recycled anti-freeze, and two hoses? lol

It's in the right price range, but like riceboy said it's a little on the high end side. When i bought my car the guy showed me the receipt when he did the timing belt and water pump and it came to like $750.