7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

And the Sh*t hits the fan...or clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
And the Sh*t hits the fan...or clutch

Well, I finally had the dreaded gears popping out on my 03 5spd. It happened when I was 50 miles outside of where Im going to college (6.5 hours from home.) It really sucks limping into town in 4th gear at 75 mph on the highway. I sucked it up, and knew I would have to spend the money to get it fixed. I had finally comes terms with what happened, when all of a sudden yesterday, i was backing out of my parking spot, when i hit the friction point, and something dropped. Its like my clutch completely gave out. My vic will stay in gear, and shift into gear even with the clutch out all the way. It also makes a nasty grinding sound whenever its at idle. I dont even know what to think right now. Im more than mad. So for now, im stuck 6.5 hours from home with a non-running civic. I think i really needed to vent about all of this. Im just so frustrated right now. Being a college kid, I really am not looking forward to dropping alot of money to get my car going again.
Old 09-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: And the Sh*t hits the fan...or clutch

Man, that sucks.

I know exactly how you feel, but at least it happened now before school starts getting really busy.
Old 09-16-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

how much does a clutch replacement go for?
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Man, that sucks.

I know exactly how you feel, but at least it happened now before school starts getting really busy.
Do you have any ideas on what i might be looking at from a price perspective MindBomber?
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JordanLewang is an unknown quantity at this point

It is too bad you didn't bother replacing it before it completely gave way had you done that it probably would be a cheaper fix you now may need to replace the flywheel. If you are doing it now do it right put a good quality clutch and if you spend the money u mind as well put a lightened flywheel in you are looking at at least 300-600 in parts depending on what is wrong and about 4-8 hours labor depending on the shop 350-800. If you do it yourself it will take you probably ten hours if you do it my way. Pull the tranny from the top side by removing the thermostat housing/egr housing or you can do the job with it in the car by supporting it from the top and splitting it about 4-6 inches apart this way is harder on u but faster.
Old 09-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chozobody
Do you have any ideas on what i might be looking at from a price perspective MindBomber?
I'm not great with transmission to be honest, but roughly..

$275 clutch
$50 flywell resurfacing
$50 fluid
$400-800 for a trans rebuild - A few possibilities come to mind, but I my diagnosis would be pretty rough.
$500 for dropping the trans and re-installing.
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

i just replaced my trans and i picked up a fully rebuilt trans for $350, stage 1 clutch for $220, and $250 for 11lbs flywheel. got it all installed for $400.. prices are in cdn btw
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

well, car has been fixed for a few weeks now, and everything was going good until today. I had my transmission rebuilt and a new clutch put in. I shifted into 4th, when I felt a pop and lost all power to the wheels. I pulled over, and saw my transmission leaking fluid profusely. Right now its at the repair shop. I'm just so fed up with this crap. If I wasnt a student right now, I would probably trade in my car by now, or part it out.
Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ouch!
the driveshaft maybe was not fully in?
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ouch!
the driveshaft maybe was not fully in?
What do you mean exactly? Is it something that they would have done when putting my transmission back in?
Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yes, the driveshaft need to be pushed all the way in to have the seals ... seal the oil inside.
however, that would make the oil leak slowly, so you might have had a small puddle under the car. if that was not the case, something else could have had blown during use.
but that is about the fluid leaking. i guess it's too early to pinpoint that as the reason of the failure.
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

yes, the driveshaft need to be pushed all the way in to have the seals ... seal the oil inside.
however, that would make the oil leak slowly, so you might have had a small puddle under the car. if that was not the case, something else could have had blown during use.
but that is about the fluid leaking. i guess it's too early to pinpoint that as the reason of the failure.
Am i possibly looking at the need to move on to a different car?
Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

wait for the diagnosis from the shop, right now just try to get some sleep
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

wait for the diagnosis from the shop, right now just try to get some sleep
Alright. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Let us know what ye mech said ur problem was