7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

converting to synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rberrey is an unknown quantity at this point
converting to synthetic oil?

i have a 2005 honda civc lx with 132 000km on it and i was wondering if i can change the oil to synthetic, when it never ran synthetic oil..and if it even makes a difference?
Old 09-13-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: converting to synthetic oil?

****. here we go again.

here is the short answer: you'll be fine.

longer short answer: if u live in the states, most "full synthetics" oil are not real synthetics. they are regular dino/petroleum oil but just filtered so well it is able to be labeled as "synthetic." unless ur paying around $15 a qt (like amsoil, royal, motul) ur not using "real synthetic"

but the bottom line is, change ur oil regularly and use (at least) decent oil, ur engine will long time...and someone else will likely be the cause of a problem before craps out because u didnt use "full synthetic"
Old 09-13-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

and please use the SEARCH button before asking. this topic has been discussed to death.

here is a quick search but the first link is all you really need tho:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ste-money.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...il-debate.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...synthetic.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...hetic-oil.html
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
longer short answer: if u live in the states, most "full synthetics" oil are not real synthetics. they are regular dino/petroleum oil but just filtered so well it is able to be labeled as "synthetic." unless ur paying around $15 a qt (like amsoil, royal, motul) ur not using "real synthetic"

but the bottom line is, change ur oil regularly and use (at least) decent oil, ur engine will long time...and someone else will likely be the cause of a problem before craps out because u didnt use "full synthetic"
Here we go again.

Prove that any oil you claim is a "full synthetic" is any different than any of the oils you claim are not "real synthetic".
Old 09-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have 100k miles and been using redline 5w30 for almost a year. before that used regular dino. i only had problems with leaks when i used 5w20.
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

If you live in an area with extreme hot or cold, especially cold, I believe there is a benefit to using synthetic oil. The cold pour point is lower providing better engine cranking and lubrication in cold weather. Also engines with special conditions such as a turbo where the turbo bearing is exposed to very high temperatures benefit from synthetic oil as well.

Otherwise, as was said earlier, engine failure from oil is rare.
Old 09-13-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i mainly use it because changing oil is a hassle for me, and yearly changes are well worth the money spent on synthetic. altho it does help in the winter on a cold day.
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pjb3
Here we go again.

Prove that any oil you claim is a "full synthetic" is any different than any of the oils you claim are not "real synthetic".
The base stocks are different. That's why in some countries, only PAO base stocks and the like are able to use the term "full synthetic".
Old 09-13-2011

Originally Posted by pjb3
Here we go again.

its been proven in UOA and labs before...specifically motul and amsoil.

go google it and you'll see.

Originally Posted by green01civic
The base stocks are different. That's why in some countries, only PAO base stocks and the like are able to use the term "full synthetic".
x2
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thread has been answered. I see the explosion of this tread :P
Old 09-14-2011
Premium Member

oh no you dont lol. OP you can type in synthetic oil in the search box and get hundreds of posts. get a synthetic, you can feel some difference (less friction) and you dont have to change it as often. very unlikely you will be able to tell between "fake" and "real" synthetics. i get redline because the local summit here carries it and its easy to find in any weight compared to the other brands. but as far as benefits, your motor will still last 500k+ miles on regular dino oil with 5k mile change intervals.