7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Coil or coilover

Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
max785 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coil or coilover

Hi . I need you help to choose between both . Here where I live the is alot of snow . So each winter I can't drive so low . If I buy coil , I will need to change the spring each winter . But with coilover I don't know if this is good to keep them in the winter ? btw it's a civic 01
Old 09-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Coil or coilover

Why it would not be a good idea to keep them in the winter?

They're suspension components just like any other and can be used year round, just adjust the ride height in the winter to give you more ground clearance for driving in snow. If you want full coilovers you should be budgeting a minimum of $900.
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

Because I heard storie with jammed coilover :/ yea I have a 1200$ budget . I will buy them this winter and put them at spring time . My choice was tein basic .
Old 09-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Clubrsx has tein basic for $880.

Coilovers seize because people don't maintain them properly, they just set them to the height they want and when the nuts are stuck years later they go complain. Coat the threads with anti-seize or moly bearing grease a couple times over the winter and give them a good cleaning with brake cleaner and you'll have no issues
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

only 880 . tein are good coilover no ?
Old 09-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Tein is without question one of the best coilover manufacturers, especially if your looking for a comfortable street ride. I have Tein SS and absolutely love them.

The reason the basics are only $880 is because that's they're entry level coilover, the only other coilovers I would consider under $1000 are Progress.
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

you ride ss with a em2 ? if yes , what the difference with both ?
Old 09-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Yes, I have them on an em2.

Are you asking for the difference between SS and Basic or Basic and Progress?

The difference between the different Tein dampers, without going into major details, the SS are dampening adjustable and the Basics are not. The best way to compare the two would be to go to Tein's website, I could describe the differences but I'd basically just be paraphrasing their website.
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

I don't even know what the dampening do XD
Old 09-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Okay, here's the ultra simplified coles notes of a coilover.

The body of the coilover is the part designed for a specific model of car, that's the metal body that bolts to the knuckle and tie rod, including the adjustment threads. The damper is the part that makes the difference between a $350 POS Rokor coilover for ricers and a $10,000 Moton or Penske coilover that professional race teams use. The damper is the shaft and valve body that compresses and rebounds inside the body of the coilover. A damper ranges from being non-adjustable up to three way adjustable, basics are non-adjustable and SS and Flex are single way adjustable. The single adjustment gives you the ability to vary the stiffness of the damper, from almost stock softness to very stiff.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

don't get tien basics get Progress basics don't go low enough and tend tp blow prematurely when lowered to there maximum setting.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

oh I understand now so tein ss or progress basic ??
Old 09-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I vote Tein SS, but I'm a bit biased haha.
Here's a review on Tein SS another member wrote.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...vers-edfc.html
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

What biased mean ? Sorry english not my main language XD
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

tien ss are good coilovers but cost alot more then progress with the money you save buying progress you could get some needed suspension upgrades.
Old 09-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Bias means I have a reason to prefer Tein SS (owning them).
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

like camber kit ?
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Bias means I have a reason to prefer Tein SS (owning them).
oh ok :P
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

sure maybe ball joints or compliance bushings you never know whats going to be needed.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

ya , and my shock are doing TOK sound when I pass a hole or sometime like that. Maybe the top plate ?
Old 09-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The bearings are probably shot, that's a cheap and simple fix.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

can I do it easily myself ?
Old 09-08-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by lowlife9
don't get tien basics get Progress basics don't go low enough and tend tp blow prematurely when lowered to there maximum setting.
the basics blow easy? damn would want that. Dezod has the progress basics for $1043, is that good price?

I think this is it
http://www.dezod.com/pd_progress_cs1...civic_0103.cfm

It says exc SI so im guessing it wont work on SI?

And what is the upper mounts do? Do we want them?
Old 09-08-2011
Registered!!

its because the si uses 16mm bolts the 2001-2002 use 14mm bolts but all you would need to fit would be to drill out the holes 2mm the 03-05 civics also have 16mm bolts. you want the plastic upper strut bearings from the 2001 ther like 25 bucks you would want to replace your bearings regardless.