7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced front struts, still clunking

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011
02 coupe DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lopes101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced front struts, still clunking

I installed new Front struts (tokicos) and still not as smooth as i want my ride, Could this be because of ball joints? There is definetly a clunking that means something needs to be replaced. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Lopes101; 09-05-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about
Re: Replaced front struts, still clunking

Either replaced or tightened. Just make sure everything is battened down as it should. When I upgraded the rear sway in my civic, I got a bumping noise about a week after it was installed. Turns out one of the nuts wasn't fully torqued.
Old 09-05-2011
02 coupe DX

OK thanks, We for sure checked the nuts and bolts on the struts, so Im thinkning ball joint? Would it be a wheel bearing? How can you tell when those are done?
Old 09-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you index the struts in the assembly (match the arrows up)? why didnt you do the rears? those are in most need of being replaced.
Old 09-05-2011
02 coupe DX

I didnt match them up no... I was not aware that you had to..? Can i check any way? I also did not change the rears because... When doing this we snapped a bolt.. luckily we snapped the first bolt trying to get it off in the back because I would have been screwed if i got the rear right strut off, installed a new strut with a lowering spring, and had stock height on the left. Therefore I need to bring my car into the shop, and am going to get them to put my rear struts on. I cannot be bothered with this snapped bolt, I will NEVER get it out on my own. and I also what that clunk gone, so I will get them to do the ball joints as well.
Old 09-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I don't think it's your ball joints, more likely your tie rod ends.
Old 09-05-2011
02 coupe DX

Tie rod ends? OK maybe I will look into that. Is their a way to tell? I am so confused now lol, I do not which part to order, and I cannot afford all of them!
Old 09-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Watch this youtube video, they're simple to change if they aren't seized onto the tie rod, but they usually are. Ball joints aren't to difficult either, definitely something you could diy.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1035& transactionid=1315260663-174169168&posted_by=MindBomber_www.civicforums.com &youtube_video_id=so0vL-ZOwY8[/autostream]
Old 09-05-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well if you did not index them, thats why its clunking.
Old 09-05-2011
02 coupe DX

hmm thanks a lot guys, you have been very helpful. I am not sure what I am going to do still, But we will find out!
Old 09-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If it was not clunking before you replaced the struts then it is not the springs needing to be indexed, but if the clunking began after that might be the cause. To correct an improperly indexed spring do the following:

1. Jack up the car.
2. Remove the wheel (not really necessary, but makes it a lot easier)
3. Loosen the spring retainer nut.
4. You should now be able to turn the spring freely within the assembly, adjust it to the appropriate position.
5. Re-torque the spring retainer nut.
Old 09-06-2011
02 coupe DX

Originally Posted by MindBomber
If it was not clunking before you replaced the struts then it is not the springs needing to be indexed, but if the clunking began after that might be the cause. To correct an improperly indexed spring do the following:

1. Jack up the car.
2. Remove the wheel (not really necessary, but makes it a lot easier)
3. Loosen the spring retainer nut.
4. You should now be able to turn the spring freely within the assembly, adjust it to the appropriate position.
5. Re-torque the spring retainer nut.
well there were lots of clunking going on before replaced my struts, and did not completely stop after. But it doesn't feel like a strut clunking when it does. and it is usually more noticeable over smaller bumps.
Old 09-06-2011
Premium Member

broken front sway bar links?
Old 09-07-2011
02 coupe DX

Originally Posted by gearbox
broken front sway bar links?

Just replaced all 4, 2 months ago. made a huge difference.
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

thisguy is an unknown quantity at this point

My 02 lx is clunking in low speed turns, never straight on bumps, just while turning....any ideas?
Old 09-09-2011
Premium Member

i had the same problem and turned out the tie rod on one side was about to fall off. thats if it only clunks once when turning the wheel. if its more than one clunk, its prolly cv joints.