7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Top strut mount bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough
Question Top strut mount bearing question

Okay Im getting a popping binding sound coming from my driver side front wheel area. I did some searching and then using that info checked my suspension yesterday and everything seems ok. Good sway bar link. Nice tight bolts all around. good lower control arm bushings. There are two things I think it could be. Either my lower ball joint or my top strut mount bearing. I know the bearing is bad. My question is, can a bad lower ball joint make that binding sound? Can a bad bearing in the top strut mount make that sound? I already have a ball joint if I need to replace that. But I need to know if I can replace the top strut mount bearing without replacing the top strut mount? Hit me up!
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Top strut mount bearing question

I'm pretty confident you can replace the bearings separate from the mount on all years, but I'm not 100% confident. What year is your civic, going to cheaphondaparts and having a look at the exploded diagram would be a simple way to tell.

Usually when a ball joint goes bad it will start creaking when turning, the simplest way to test it is holding two sides of the wheel and seeing if you can move the wheel back and forth horizontally.
Old 08-08-2011

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks MindBomber! That lil tid bit of info will help me tons!!! I'd rep ya but I gotta spread some love first!
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Always happy to help
Old 08-09-2011

Got my bearing today! Gonna install before the track tomorrow!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-09-2011

Success!!! No Popping!
Old 08-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got a similar problem i think. whenever i make sharp turns while parking i've got a popping. usually i park reversed. so i'll back up and turn left to right to straighten out and it pops once or twice.
it only seems to be when im moving though. i turn the wheels while the car is parked and there's no pop.
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ooh metal! cant wait til i need new shocks again so i can have the bearings replaced too.
Old 08-10-2011

Originally Posted by inifiniteblur
i've got a similar problem i think. whenever i make sharp turns while parking i've got a popping. usually i park reversed. so i'll back up and turn left to right to straighten out and it pops once or twice.
it only seems to be when im moving though. i turn the wheels while the car is parked and there's no pop.
Yours sounds like a bad CV Joint. That is usually the case when you only hear it when you are turning.
Old 08-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good!
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mr22508
Success!!! No Popping!
I think I'm having the same issue. A top front popping, knocking noise when turning and when going over bumps.

Was the bearing replacement easy? Does it detach easily from the strut mount? I intend on doing it on my Civic 04, what year is your car?
Old 05-26-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

they come out easy, potentially easier than expected (small pieces falling from there)
Old 06-09-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Yeah they are so easy to remove that even the ball bearings can fall out easily haha. I've just replaced my struts with Tokico hp and almost messed up my new strut bearing as they are not even sealed properly, the ***** could easily fall out if you're not being careful.
Old 06-14-2012

That is why mine started popping in the first place. Thought I could get away with not replacing it when I replaced my springs and taking off the strut, BAM! Ball bearings everywhere! I picked up and cleaned most of them, but I missed a few. They arew only 20 bucks through Honda. Simple replacement. The new ones dont just fall apart, so install was fairly easy!
Old 06-14-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

is the sound youre getting like rubber on metal rubbing?

i thought we have bushings (hats) on top of the struts? theyre bearings? or is that only for the fronts?
Old 06-15-2012

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
is the sound youre getting like rubber on metal rubbing?

i thought we have bushings (hats) on top of the struts? theyre bearings? or is that only for the fronts?
Kinda of a dull thud when I accelerate or hard stop. On the top of the strut there is a round bearing that sits directly on the top of the mount but under the body of the car. I beleive they only have them for the fronts.