7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Can I get a little assistance with this problem here...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
Can I get a little assistance with this problem here...

looking to put a strut tower bar on my Civic but I have this problem here.... Does anyone know if it would be wise to break these and put the bar on they are a bit rusty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	newest pictures for forum.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	81480  
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Can I get a little assistance with this problem here...

they don't look that bad just spray them with pb blaster or liquid wrench and let it soak for awhile.
Old 08-07-2011
A scene before your eyes

Cool I was a little worried that I would end up kicking the **** can on this one and turn a small upgrade into a major suspension repair.
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Lowlife9.

PB Blaster overnight. Take a brass wire brush to them to take some of that surface corrosion off. Break them free, the next day. On all of my exposed, threads, I try to coat them with a little film of PB Blaster or Anti-Sieze, occasionally. Keeps them from rusting out like that. Some people use WD-40, but it's more of a water displacing compound (hence the name), not a protectant or lubricant or lithium grease, but that stuff is like a magnet for dirt.

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

get a neuspeed bar it comes with plugs that cover those bolts and keep water and debris out.
Old 08-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just use a breaker bar. if the bolts snap, you get new shocks too!
Old 08-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If you can't get them off don't push them with a breaker bar, if the bolts snap you'll need to get new strut mounts. Just go to a shop, pop the hood and ask them to break the torque on those bolts with an impact for you, they should only charge you a few bucks.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

from the looks of them he could use some new mounts.
Old 08-08-2011
A scene before your eyes

If the worst does happen what can I expect to have to buy and how long would the car be laid up for? Meaning... if those bolts snap. Im looking to do minor inexpensive repairs and mods now.
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You'd need to buy a new strut mount, which costs around $50 and will require removal and disassembly of the strut to replace. Although, if you were feeling motivated I think you could hammer or press the broken bolt out out of the mount and just push a new one through.
Old 08-08-2011
A scene before your eyes

Jabba no botha', ill just buy 'em.