7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Please answere my question I' stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please answere my question I' stumped

lots of good info. DEI does make a cryO2 system that super freezes the intake pipe, but i would be worried about condensation all over the place. like when you take a cold smoothie out on a summer day. and i dont think any of this is worth a few hp anyway. maybe if you live in a dry area you can make a cai going to the bumper where the fog light hole is or something, and switch it back for winter. but it really wont matter much for daily driving. just get a better engine.
Old 08-11-2011
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

**** man, if I had the money to put an engine in this car I would. But I dont so I wont. Gotta do with what I have. I spend a little here and there to get a little bit more close to my goal. But at this rate when I get there all that **** I spent my money on will be so out dated and obsolete, it sometimes depresses me. I look at some of these rides here in town and i drool. When I look at the rides, lets say in Super Street, I just get pissed. But If I had my choice of an engine I would go with a twin turbo Nissan motor. I'd make that "Oreo Cakester" fit in my Honda's "Mouth".
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Air in CAIs have twice the metal tube to flow through with more bends. Temp readings for both have been made at the throttle body, with nearly equal temp readings once heat soak has set in.
I would question the testing procedure. Since heat soak occurs after the engine is stopped, the two systems will eventually have the same temperature so you are correct. On an engine that is running, heat transfer to the moving air will never be great enough for the temperature to be equal.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by maxtierney
I agree with you to a point. At idle (and heatsoak), temperatures are going to be similar at the throttle body, because most of the airspeed generated through the tubing is based on throttle position and to a lesser degree, outside airspeed. Factor in the conduction of heat transferred from the engine to the TB, as well.

At speed, the temps in the engine bay will decrease with movement of the car, and the the amount of the drop being proportional to the ambient temperature outside. However, it is very unlikely that there will be a temperature difference of 50 degrees between the CAI and SRI, unless there is a direct feed of cool air to the filter. In order for this to happen, the filter would have to be placed lower than the front bumper and undercarriage or have a tube feeding the filter from the outside. Most CAIs I've seen are still tucked in the engine bay. We'll call the difference 25 degrees vs 50. Factor in another 10 degrees for heat transfer to the pipe. And were talking a difference of 15 degrees - maybe.

Ahh, I found found one of AEMs intake illustrations. I knew it was somewhere in between.

Some strategies used in designing cold-air intakes are:

- Increasing the diameter of the air intake, allowing increased airflow.

- Smoothing the interior of the intake to reduce air resistance.

- Poviding a more direct route to the air intake.

- Tuning the length of the intake to provide the most airflow at certain RPMs.

- Using a more efficient air filter
Based on this description I would agree. What you are really saying is a poorly designed CAI doesn't do much. If you are pulling anything other than outside air I think the term CAI is misleading and mostly marketing.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
lots of good info. DEI does make a cryO2 system that super freezes the intake pipe, but i would be worried about condensation all over the place. like when you take a cold smoothie out on a summer day. and i dont think any of this is worth a few hp anyway. maybe if you live in a dry area you can make a cai going to the bumper where the fog light hole is or something, and switch it back for winter. but it really wont matter much for daily driving. just get a better engine.
I don't remember the details but I believe Lotus used to have a "charge cooler" in their cars and I remember reading about Ford playing around with something similar for the Mustang. I believe the concept was more like an air conditioned intercooler. The system would store a cold air charge that was available for short bursts at WOT. The system would give around a 5 second boost and then recharge during normal driving. If I remember correctly the increase in power was pretty good but the system was complex.
Old 08-11-2011
A scene before your eyes

Originally Posted by pjb3
I don't remember the details but I believe Lotus used to have a "charge cooler" in their cars and I remember reading about Ford playing around with something similar for the Mustang. I believe the concept was more like an air conditioned intercooler. The system would store a cold air charge that was available for short bursts at WOT. The system would give around a 5 second boost and then recharge during normal driving. If I remember correctly the increase in power was pretty good but the system was complex.

Thats pretty interesting stuff could you direct me in the correct area of the web that would descibe this technology more? I made some attempts but do not believe im using the correct key words. This is definatly interesting ****. Imagine intakes and intercooler for turbos using this technology it could be revolutionary. With todays lighter weight composites it could be very possible to create , even a complex and large system that would utilize this technology. This would be something for our engineer readers.
Old 08-11-2011
A scene before your eyes

There is lots of information which claim to be charge coolers" but the technology is more based around a flow of cooler air cooling the chambered air from an intercooler or after cooler. This is not the same as we have been discussing here. We are talking about a device which drops the air tempature significantly and in fact air which is so cold it is simular to air conditioning tempertures. Perhapes tempertures ranging from 30 to 40 degrees colder than the outside air temps. could be achieved.
Old 08-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

DEI makes the same system for intercoolers on turbo cars. same idea, it superfreezes the intercooler for more power. the problem is those co2 tanks are expensive and can add up. the general rule is every 10F drop on temp equals 1hp. not sure how exact that is so dont quote me on it. depends on the car and engine as well.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

When you start talking coolers that use CO2 or some form of air conditioner the complexity and cost are high. Lotus could do it because their cars are expensive and I would guess that with the intercooler for the turbo it was easier. Ford never took it into production so it was not cost effective.

It's one thing to add a good CAI but any type of charge cooling is a different matter. As was mentioned earlier Nitrous Oxide is simpler.